Author Topic: Re: Random police checks at YOUR range!!  (Read 3212 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Random police checks at YOUR range!!
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
The topic of random police checks at gun ranges was discussed at our recent club meeting and it was stated that if conducted on club property, it would be deemed inappropriate unless a proper warrant was served.

However, this did not preclude a road block at the entrance to the club property; a road allowance provided for safe access from the highway.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
No such animal should exist in the US. As a Cop for 35 years I can tell you that the only reason a Cop should drop by is to visit, say 'Hello' or maybe join your club.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
You're right, Shotgun, but we're talking about the situation in Kanuckistan, where firearms ownership is a crime without the specific permission of the government.
We are told what guns we can and cannot have, what calibres and barrel lengths and they must be stored and transported within specific regulations with full documentation - licences, permits, a note from your mother and a thumbprint from God .....

A retired RCMP type told me yesterday that the attitude today is completely different from what he remembers during his career.
He said he couldn't serve today under the current regime.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

Re: Re: Random police checks at YOUR range!!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:46:34 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
Maybe a 100,000 citizens standing in front of your capitol would help.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »
Maybe a 100,000 citizens standing in front of your capitol would help.

Would that be allowed in Kanukistan?

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »
The topic of random police checks at gun ranges was discussed at our recent club meeting and it was stated that if conducted on club property, it would be deemed inappropriate unless a proper warrant was served.

However, this did not preclude a road block at the entrance to the club property; a road allowance provided for safe access from the highway.

Did an actual roadblock take place or, is this just a possibility?  Not being critical, just wondering.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
Freedom is always paid for by the blood of those willing to fight for it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »
To answer your questions ....

No, we have yet to experience such a road block or an actual visit on range property.

In the past, when Bill C-68 was being dictated to us, gun owners organized a couple of rallies on Parliament Hill - "Fed Up" and "Fed Up 2". These attracted an estimated 10,000 - 18,000 protestors.
Considering that we are currently a nation of 33 million (the population of California), that was quite a representation. It accomplished nothing as the ruling Liberal party had a lock on majorities in both the House of Commons and the Senate. We were told - "The debate is over." There was no debate, other than to ram it through the required reading in the House.

Protestors were video taped and those that gave the RCMP the finger paid a price for it - or so they said. What really offended people was the visibility of snipers in positions of advantage. It came as a shock that our gov't would actually consider shooting down citizens in a lawful protest.

Before you get too smug about it, I understand that Obama has decreed that henceforth no lawful assembly may take place outside the Whitehouse when controversial issues are being debated in the House. And if you think that you still have the right of 'habeas corpus',  think again .....

The fact is, every anti-gun initiative can trace it's roots back to the US 1934 National Firearms Act, the 1968 Gun Control Act and several other initiatives between and up to the present. The GCA actually was intended to ban handguns, but it would have caused too much of a problem, so it was dropped. Remember the Volstead Act that brought in Prohibition? Any gov't with the balls to do that was capable of anything.
Canadians were required to register their handguns in 1934. Bans and prohibitions came much later in our era. Our salient national characteristic is acquiescence, so compliance was assured. We were told that it was for the greater good and if we were doing nothing wrong, we had nothing to worry about.

Forgotten was the lesson of history that wherever and whenever registration of guns and owners has taken place, confiscation was the end result. At the same time as the 1934 GCA and our handgun registration was taking place, Hitler was hard at it and we know the result of that - he knew who had what and Jews were banned from owning guns altogether. Unarmed people cannot resist a standing army.

You will notice the reluctance of Canadians that read this section of the forum to comment. Many believe that gun sites are being monitored by 'Big Brother', and they are. Just recently, Bill C-30 was drafted, allegedly to protect children from internet predators.
In reality, it would give the gov't the power to monitor all internet transmissions, email, etc. and ultimately block out what they don't want us to know.

This has the civil libertarians up in arms over the invasion of privacy. Since they didn't give a damn when it was happening to gun owners, I say - 'Tough! It's for the greater good, and if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.'

Registration of gun and owners, bans, prohibitions of certain calibres, barrel lengths, massive public surveillance, internet censorship - right out of George Orwell's '1984' and "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. If you haven't read both, do so. You'll understand  things a whole lot better. Or you can bury your head in the sand and pretend that none of this is really happening.

We live in a country where the 'Thought Police' arrest you, take you to the station, strip search you and ransack your house because your four year old daughter drew a picture on the whiteboard of her Daddy "shooting monsters and bad guys". Sounds like a 'B' movie plot, doesn't it, but it just happened.
BTW - the picture doesn't exist as the teacher erased it lest it poison the minds of the moppets under her care. The gun in question was a $15 toy that shoots foam darts. The man doesn't own any real guns, as the cops knew if they checked our soon-to-be-scrapped Firearms Registry.

There was no parent/teacher interview, no phone calls, just the raid. If this doesn't say 'police state' to you, then I don't understand the term. The father has retained a lawyer and it is hoped that he will NOT settle out of court, but make this a precedent setting event.
Ironically,this took place in a city once known as 'Berlin' due to the high number of German settlers. It was changed during WW I.
Since the above was 'Gestapo' tactics, it might be appropriate to revert to the original name.

Ross was prevented from bringing copies of his book into Canada by YOUR people, not ours. He was warned not to publish under his own name for fear of reprisal from the BATF. Read the book; you'll understand why it's hard to find, even though it had four printings. Copies on the net go for over $200, but it is available to download as a pdf file. You can get a copy of '1984' from the library.

Offline Crotchety Old Grouch

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
Canadian Gun Control per dates the US NFA of 34 by at least 42 years.  

http://www.lilith-ezine.com/articles/canada/2007/Gun-Control-in-Canada.html

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/hist/con-eng.htm

It's great that Canadians are winning the battle with the lib polititions but dont try to link their ideas to the US.  Your history is linked much more closely to the UK and Europe than to ours.  The only guns we'ev ever had to register so far are selective fire and full auto.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
Thanks, COG! Good stuff. I printed off copies and I'll pass on the link.

I find it interesting that the only response to my posting was from an American. While I welcome the input, it shows me how cowed Canadians are about expressing themselves about our gun laws.

Ir isn't exactly an 'apples & oranges' comparison between your 'gun control' laws and ours. You are right in that out history goes a long way back, which is why we didn't have a 'wild west' like the US. However, I don't believe in coincidental happenings, when we were saddled with hand gun registration in 1934, the date of your National Firearms Act.
According to Ross, one of the provisions intended was that the act would ban handguns, but that was deemed as being too much too soon and the idea was dropped. Canada went ahead with it.

I note in one of your links:

"1968-69 ..... police had preventive powers of seizure by judicial warrant if they believe that weapons that belong to an individual endanger the safety of society."

There have been several instances where that has been ignored, the police entering and searching premises if they believe that someone might be breaking the law. This is getting a little too Gestapo like for most folks. A po'd spouse just has to pick up the phone and say that a man has a gun and she feels threatened. His guns are seized and he is thrown into the slammer. After an expensive court battle, he might gets his guns back if they haven't been destroyed or be slapped with a 10 year to lifetime ban on firearms ownership if exonerated.

You will note in the history of the RCMP link that all these initiatives are directed at the lawful gun owner - NOT the criminals that misuse guns. Criminals don't obey laws in general, particularly those that pertain to guns. They buy and use whatever they want regardless of legality.

You can get a copy of "Gun Control - Gateway to Tyranny" by Aaron Zelman from JPFO (Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership) for $19.96, S&H handling included. It is a page by page comparison of the 1938 Nazi 'gun control' laws and the 1968 GCA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com