Author Topic: Need some help with my Henry  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need some help with my Henry
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »
Howdy folks,

Maybe one of you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I cannot duplicate this issue on the bench.

On occasion during a match my hammer will fall to half cock when I pull the trigger.  Sometimes it will even do that after I pull it back and try again.

Is it something I'm doing with the lever or is there something I need to file or stone on the hammer?

Thanks
  Willy

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
Re: Need some help with my Henry
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
This is a symptom of a weak main spring and or a weak sear spring.  If it is an older rifle one or both could have gotten weak over the years.  If this happened to me I would try replacing them and see if the problem goes away.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »
Willy,

Just a suggestion on my part...

Check the wear on the trigger sear and/or hammer full cock notch.

The symptoms you describe indicate a warn trigger sear may cause the trigger to slip off the full cock notch a bit too soon, and hang up or the half cock notch, causing more damage to the trigger sear (and maybe to the half cock notch).
A warn full cock notch on the hammer may cause the same issue. Both need to be checked out.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:12:47 AM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »
Worn full cock notch would be my answer as well. To friends have had this problem on guns one a 66 the other a Henry.
Buffalochip

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:34 AM »
Thanks all.  I removed the hammer and trigger and inspected.  The sear didnt look too worn but I touched it up anyway.  Hammer full cock notch looked fine.

I re-installed and when I did I reversed the trigger spring to give it a little more tension.  Did about 50 tests in the shop and it was fine.  Went out this morning and put 50 down range in the back yard as quick as I could without any issues.  I cant help but think it was something I was doing but it apears to be working at the moment.

Thanks
  Willy

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
If you reversed the sear spring (trigger spring), then it may be to a point that it is fatigued and will soon get bent the other way and will eventually break.  If I were you I would make sure I had another sear spring on hand for when it breaks. 
I am glad that you were able to get it working but having a few of the different springs on hand is always a good idea.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com