Author Topic: The Wonderful Henry Rifle  (Read 8726 times)

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Wonderful Henry Rifle
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
Although new to competative shooting, I've been around guns and shooting most of my life.  I'm VERY new to CAS. 

Having said all that...  I'm also a very big fan of the Henry Rifle.  Before I go out and buy a new model Henry that SAYS it's okay for CAS...  what can you all recommend to a greenhorn?  I'll most likely need to know where I can get my FFL guy to order one from as well.  I KNOW I'm going to be shooting a Henry.  THe only thing remains to be seen is what TYPE.

Help.

And,

I Say thankya.
"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: The Wonderful Henry Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:42:13 PM »
THe only thing remains to be seen is what TYPE.

??? ??? Huh? Explain "type", please.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
Will, don't get confused with the modern rifle that is made by a company calling itself "Henry" they even imply in their ads that they have some connection to the original 1860 Henry.  There is none.

The Henry that we refer to on this forum is either the originals or the Uberti made replica, which is what most of us shoot.

The other "Henry", which they call the Bigboy, was deemed to be legal for SASS matches.  This came after several years of debate and where the members in straw votes kept voting it out.  However in NCOWS where we try to recapture the 19th century experience it is not approved since it is an exact copy of a rifle that never existed in the Old West ;).

What we refer to as the "improved" Henry is the Winchester model 66.  It was the first rifle bearing the Winchester name and the first with a side loading gate.

Some of us really dislike the henry Bigboy and feel that their advertisements are misleading.

I hope this clears this up some for you.  You certainly are welcome to ask as many questions as you like and we will be happy to answer them to the best of our ability.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:16:42 AM »

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:42:34 AM »
I am also relatively new to CAS, but antique and reproduction/replica guns have been part of my shooting life for 35 years.  You definitely want a Uberti Henry, a (mostly) faithful copy of the original 1860.  A bit pricy compared to the Henry Big Boy (that I believe was designed on the Island of Dr. Moreau) but worth saving for. 

For practical purposes, get a .44-40 model.  Less blowback than a straight wall case.  If you plan to shoot .45 pistols, then you might get a .45 Henry.  Be sure to get a good crimp on those reloads to reduce blowback. 

I had my .44-40 rechambered for .44 Special to shoot with my Open Tops in same and plan on getting one of the new carriers to handle .44 Russian.  This, my friend, is about as close as we CAS types can get to reality - Henry and Open Tops shooting .44 Russian.

Oh, and don't you dare try and keep that bras receiver polished bright.  That's just wrong.

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »
Yeah, good advice so far.  Stick with  Uberti  repros(unless you can afford or find a real henry- and then you might not want to shoot it!).  I prefer the Uberti  "iron framed"  (mine has the case hardened finish)  over the brass framed ones although the brass are prettier. The iron framed ones were more rare (200-400) vs  10000+ at the end of  the War between the States. I prefer 45 lc  because then I can use the same round  in my R&D conversion cylinders  in my 58 remington pistols without having to change much  vs the 44/40. However if you are shooting black powder, the 44/40 might be the better way to go because of the "blow back"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »
You ask, where your FFL may order...

Cimarron , Taylor's , I think Midway has them , I know Dixie Gun Works does....you may also find a deal on GunBrokers.com

There is the Military model , Civilian model in 3 barrel lengths Rifle, Carbine ( not sure if this one is still made ) & the 18" Trapper
(make sure this one chambers 10 rounds , I believe it does)
The mentioned iron frame model.
Then there is the King patten improved side loading port Model from Taylors.

I've owned a Civilian 44/40 Carbine 1980- 1995, 15 years of use and sadly (needed funds) sold it still going strong in the hands of my shooting pard.
Now I have a Military 45 ....Christmas 1999 (from my wife ) and still my main match gun.

Pipe dreams are a 45 Trapper & a Kings Conversion .... and maybe an Iron Frame in no special order of acquisition
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:03:09 AM »
Howdy

Be sure to check with Dixie. They have periodic deep discounts on selected models. I saved about $200 on my 'iron framed' Henry last year. (it's really steel). Nobody else could touch that price.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:01:58 AM »
SO DOES THE STEEL FRAME ALOW YOU TO SHOOT SMOKLES HUNTING LOADS?
MY RELOADING MANUAL FROM 1996 HAS SOME RECIPES FOR OVER 1900 FPS I CANT IMAGINE USEING THAT IN A BRASS FRAME IT LOOKS LIKE CLOSE TO 3030 LOADS
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: The Wonderful Henry Rifle ( NO NO updated)
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
SO DOES THE STEEL FRAME ALOW YOU TO SHOOT SMOKLES HUNTING LOADS?
MY RELOADING MANUAL FROM 1996 HAS SOME RECIPES FOR OVER 1900 FPS I CANT IMAGINE USEING THAT IN A BRASS FRAME IT LOOKS LIKE CLOSE TO 3030 LOADS

NO NO NO!  I have those loads, but they are for modern 1892 Winchesters and 1894 Marlins ONLY.  The 1860/1866/1873 toggle link system is the same whether brass or iron.  It will not stand up to loads hotter than around 1350 fps (37 grains Pyrodex P) or equivilant smokeless load (I'd go 1150 fps in brass frames with smokeless).

Years ago Remington came out with a "High Velocity 44-40" loading for 1892s and 1894 Marlins.  It clocked about 1750 fps.  After too many idiots ignored the label and used them in iron framed 1873s (they were iron before about 1888) and even steel framed 1873s, they discontinued them after too many blowups.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »
Second that.

No hot loads in any toggle link rifle. Henry, 1866, or 1873. Brass or steel, it does not matter. Keep your loads down to SAAMI standards and you will be fine.

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 04:51:39 AM »
Will, shoot BP or Cowboy ammo only! I have been looking myself and Dixie has the best deal going right now BUT only in .38 spl.(bummer) if you go with 44/40 and don't reload yourself, you will drop a-lot of money(pun?).I had one of these guns in the 1980's and sold it,I wish, I had kept it now, I have a yellowboy but mis the Henry,I want both ;D I like the brass frame and the barrel in white, a hold over from my CW reenacting days I guess. Buy one(Uberti),shoot it and have fun! Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 05:09:59 AM »
   Sitting here this morning reading this...........Truck is loaded waiting for someone to get dress so we can go shoot.   The Long gun on the top of the pile is the 1860 Henry's (Uberti) there's 3 more rifles next to it.  One or two my wife will use, they all work just fine.... now.  However the Henry's will be in the cart first.  With a two foot flame and a cloud of smoke it just sez cowboy.  Some of these other guns are much faster,  but I just don't enjoy them as much.   
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 05:27:44 AM »
Will, and all you guys that have the Henry sickness,check this gun auction out-MOVIE GUNS-starting June 5th in Hollywood Calif.my old stomping grounds anyway,they have Navy arms Henry's(and orig.Henry's) from famous movies starting at about $400,(that does not mean they will sell for that)worth a look!!!  http://www.littlejohnsauctionservice.com/pdf/Session_I_6_07.pdf  Dusty. PS: Guys,The StemBridge Props.House was and is the largest Props.House in the world(10,000 guns),they have Winchesters,TrapDoors, Colt revolvers,Remy's, this website will blow your mind IMHO. PS PS: They have Hollywood Henry's(from John Ford films) as well for you Guys&Gals doing B westerns class,made me smile when I saw them.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 12:37:35 AM »
I use mine for close range, under a 100 yards deer hunting.  45 colt and a case full of black powder, a soft lead bullet and good shot placement work wonders.  I do not understand some of the new ''deer'' rifles, since when did they start wearing kevlar?

About as hot as you can safely go is a full power black powder load.  I'm no expert on smokless powders, but you can actualy get more power out of black at a safer level than smokless.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com