Author Topic: Added value for consecutive numbered guns?  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Added value for consecutive numbered guns?
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
 I have a consecutive numbered pair of USFA SA pistols.  One is 7.5", the other 4.75".  I wouldn't mind keeping the 4.75" gun, but I am concerned about potential value loss by splitting the pair.  I'm very new to SAA collecting, and don't have any real idea about the importance, or lack of importance, in consecutively numbered pairs.  I have noticed in for sale ads, that there seems to be some emphasis placed on weather or not pairs are consecutively numbered.  My gut tells me it would be a mistake to split them, but don't know how big a mistake.  Thanks for any input.  Joel

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Added value for consecutive numbered guns?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
Joel,
I wouldn't worry about it too much, considering the different barrel lengths.  Most all of those seeking consecutive numbers are also looking for matching sets.  With your mis-matched barrels, any "value loss" would be negligible, if at all. 
I, for one, have never placed that much value on consecutive numbers but that's just me.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 04:31:38 PM »
Joel, I have to agree with Capt. John, while nice with two different barrel lengths you lose some of the desirability of them as a set. I have a couple of sets of consecutive numbered guns, but never sought them out for that reason. A nice touch, but it doesn't make them shoot any better.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:05:07 AM »

Offline Joel6180

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »
I need to shoot them, and see which one shoots better.  That may solve my worries.  I have had guns I just loved, until I shot them.  Other times I've gotten guns I didn't like the looks of at first, but after shooting, they look great, and I still have them.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »
Mostly, in the past, consecutive numbered pistols had a certain WOW factor.  That is defined as looking a pair of guns, and saying "Wow,
lookit dat ... consecutive numbers."  That's about it.  There is no mechanical advantage.  There is no reason to think the guns were
assembled by the same person.  Or, even on the same day or in the same month..

I have several sets of consecutively numbered sets of handguns.  It's really neat.  Beyond being really neat, meaningless.  Add value???  Sure, maybe .. 2 - 3 Bucks. 

If your going to "conserve" them as collector items, Don't shoot either of them.  If your going to play with them, don't worry about "collector" value.  Just have fun with them.  The great "surge" in price for USFA that happened when USFA went belly up has ended.
Prices are now returning to "sane."  Those who previously bought USFA as an investment have been losing their butts.  It will be
several generations before USFA prices again hit "insane" again, if ever.

Coffinmaker

Offline drjon

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
Joel,

As time passes the consecutive numbers will matter more and more. A very key set would be the next number up or down with the missing barrel length.

For collectors the consecutive numbers matter; for someone who wants shooters, it really does not.

Also, if it is a later manufacture, say post 2004, I would think that you should add (to an unfired set) about 5-10%. If you had the third barrel length, that would increase to 25% for a nice SAA.

I have been searching USFAs for a friend and having found him well over ten examples, that you find a single to shoot and keep these as collectibles for future value. In only 5 years since the demise of USFA prices are, at least 2X original price and appear to be climbing as I have seen examples that are now at 2.8X original price.

USFA is a gem for the future, especially the post 2004 pistols.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com