Author Topic: New member, new Single action  (Read 4671 times)

Offline kennith

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New member, new Single action
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »
Hello.  I'd like to start out by saying I appreciate that there are people out there who keep tradition alive, and I look forward to learning about and possibly participating in your sport.

Now on to a question I'm sure you have all heard before.  I've checked around as much as I could, asked everyone I could think of, and done what research was in my power so far.  So, here goes.

I'll be buying another sixgun shortly.  Currently, I have two.  The first is an Armi San Marco replica Colt SAA, in .45 Colt, with a 7.5 inch barrel.  In my personal opinion, it's not built all that well, it's unreliable, and not the best looker in the world.  It does, however, shoot as straight as I've seen.  Unfortunately, the action is crunchy, the springs break to easily, and even in light use, it has proven to be quite fragile.  Love the accuracy, hate the build quality.

The second is an old model Ruger Vaquero, in .44-40, with a 5.5 inch barrel.  The action is slick, the reliability is rock solid.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be very predictable.  In all honesty, I bought it for the action, and never bothered shooting the thing first, but something about the thing doesn't agree with me somehow, and I just can't reliably hit what I think I am aiming at.  It could be the cartridge, it could be a flaw, it could just be me, but despite my efforts, it just isn't a natural pointer for me.

I am no stranger to revolvers in general, and I am quite a good shot.  I love the feel of the Ruger, but it doesn't point right for me.  This is my first .44-40 firearm, so I wonder if there is something special about that cartridge that lends it less predictability.  25 yards simply won't happen at all on a 12 inch round target, wheres, with the Armi San Marco (when it works) I'll not only score my hits, but group well in the process.

So, on to my point.  I have recently become aware of a brand called USFA, who manufacture a SAA  replica called the Gunslinger, which can be equipped with my preferred 7.5 inch barrel, and chambered for .45 Colt.  Being a replica, it should grip in a similar manner to my Italian replica, so I am not so concerned about that.  The quality appears top notch, and quite honestly MUST be better than my Italian firearm, as if it was any less, it would fall apart in the holster, and if it was the same, I'd have heard about it somewhere.

Let me tell you about me.  I'm not very interesting, but if anyone is to help me, they will need to know how I will use whatever I buy.

I do shoot for entertainment on a range owned by a friend of mine regularly.  I often can be found deep in the woods, where I prefer a single action revolver at my side or under my shoulder if I am in swampy areas.  I don't care what I carry, I load 5, so no worries about transfer bars.  I do find myself regularly in situations where my defense may be neccessary from both people and large predators.  I have been known to appear in Africa working security or operating mines for people, and I like overland expeditions, where things can go very wrong, very fast.  I don't know much about CAS, and have never tried it, but I thought you guys were the best group to ask about reliable firearms in this category.  If I carry for protection, I carry openly, so I don't need to conceal anything as far as single actions are concerned.  The places I need to do this tend to be much more calm if things are in plain sight.  I don't carry in America, yet, unless I am in the wilderness where I am less likely to spook people who are uneasy around firearms.  If I ever need to conceal something, I'll get something else.

Now, I love the idea of that USFA sixgun.  It looks great, and I'd buy one right now, but for one question I have.  Will it be any more reliable than my irritating Armi San Marco?  The USFA, I assume, uses the older leaf spring setup, which is what worries me.  I've had this Italian piece of junk for years now, and hated it the entire time, even though I keep coming back for that quick sight picture and solid point of aim.  I'm tired of the darned thing.  I want something else.

There isn't much access to quality firearms where I live, so I suppose I just want to hear from someone who owns one.  I know it will never be a Ruger, but just what is it?  Just how often do these need service?  I'll admit that I do dig that worn finish on the Gunslinger models, but I could go either way.  It's not what attracted me to the brand.  What attracted me to the brand is the original Colt balance, which should go hand in hand with that Colt style handiness.

That Ruger action is slick and reliable, but if it doesn't work for me, than that can't be fixed within reason.  I know the newer models are slimmer, and they are an option.

So, any ideas?

Cheers,

Kennith

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New member, new Single action
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »
Wow.  Thats a big introduction you gave.   :D

USFAs are excellent revolvers.  I have 3 myself and I am waiting for a 4th.  You wont go wrong with one.  They are not inexpensive guns as you probably noticed from the website.   They will be very reliable.  They do have a colt style flat main spring which can eventually break.   They are great guns for CAS.
 Now reading the rest of your introduction and how you plan to use the gun (defense against humans and large predators) , I would suggest a Ruger Blackhawk which can be loaded to higher capacity than  a colt clone can.   In my view, this would serve you better for CCW usage. I  would not want to go up against a large predator with a standard 45 colt load. You might consider the Blackhawk convertible which comes with a 45ACP cylinder in addition to the 45 colt cylinder.   I dont believe they are made in 7.5 inch barrels, but a 5.5 barrel would be easier to carry anyways.   The Ruger Blackhawks do come in 7.5, but the Convertibles may not according to the website.  Doesnt make alot of sense to me so you might call Ruiger and ask them if you can get the convertible in 7.5 as well.  My 2 cents.  Oh and welcome to the forum.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
Kennith,
     Two things--
The New Model Vaq seems ta be right up yer alley, as it's very close in balance and grip to a Colt (an that's comin from an OMV guy).  The other is that you mentioned accuracy trouble with the .44-.40 but don't like the lighter load of a .38.  Rugers (Black Hawks and Vaqs) are available in .357 which may be the perfect round fer ya.  Some Hawks even come with a spare cylinder that is chambered in 9mm, so ya got three different rounds that'll fit in one gun. 
     Good luck in yer search, Pard.  The right gun 'll find ya one way or 'nother.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:18:11 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »
For self-defense out of a single action and especially if you're talking maybe needing to use it against larger game I would go with an old model vaquero or with a black hawk. The frames are heavier and more solid and will handle a much more stout load than the Colts and Colt clones.

With your .44-40 have you put it on paper yet?  Where is it shooting?  Have you bench shot it?  Chances are that it's the way that you shoot and not the gun that needs adjusting but some do come from the factory not shooting quite straight.  If it is the gun then send it back to Ruger and they will make it right.

Ammo can make a bit difference as well.  What are you shooting in it?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com