Author Topic: Cimarron Poly Tech SXS Dbl Hammer  (Read 20348 times)

Offline Logan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron Poly Tech SXS Dbl Hammer
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the Cimarron Poly Tech SXS Dbl hammer shot gun?  This is a new one to me and was wondering how well it is made.  I understand it comes in a 20" and a 26" barrel.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1228
Re: Cimarron Poly Tech SXS Dbl Hammer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:46:40 AM »
Do a search on Cimarron 1878 shotgun, or TTN (as it was previously known).  Lots of info.  It is the most popular hammered shotgun.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »
 it's TANK Tough,  mine was imported by Walt Johnson of TTn in March of 04

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:31:15 PM »

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:08 AM »
If you're talking about the 1878 it's a great gun.  I have two of them and they've been great runners right out of the box.  I've never heard anyone who owns one say anything bad about them.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »
Seth,
Really??  Not say anything bad??  Really really??  Well then I will.  I've owned four, I currently shoot two (I alternate) and I shoot 'em at least twice a month (each).  Both guns have the triggers reversed, reduced lever springs, the hammers de-horned and a recoil pad. 
Be patient ....... I'm cummin to it ........
I've worked on a bundle of em, and .......
Their innerds are rough as a cob, the steel is just a mite soft and the little horns on stock hammers will make your hand look like a plowed field (don't ask how I know that) .
That said ....... See ....... Some bad things ......... :-)
The guns  are built like tanks, the new springs (except for the lever) are just right and the guns are without doubt the best value for dollar for a hammer double in CAS.
I also own a Pedersoli.  Built like a Swiss watch.  Georgeous.  But, that would be trying to compare a Rolls to ....... a VW.
The two TTNs I sold were a mistake.  I should,d have kept both of em.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:01:29 AM »
You want more BAD.... well ... I did not get one in 28" when they were offered  ..that was BAD
and Mine was before Walter began offering the locks US Case Hardened for while .... that was TOO BAD !

I do recall a batch ( this was after Walt Johnson went to EMF ) were hung up in customs for an import SNAFU and some got spotty rust.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »
Major
I was a lucky man because I got one from Walt/EMF with a 26 inch barrel . It's a Turkey KILLER .  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
Seth,
Really??  Not say anything bad??  Really really??  Well then I will.  I've owned four, I currently shoot two (I alternate) and I shoot 'em at least twice a month (each).  Both guns have the triggers reversed, reduced lever springs, the hammers de-horned and a recoil pad. 
Be patient ....... I'm cummin to it ........
I've worked on a bundle of em, and .......
Their innerds are rough as a cob, the steel is just a mite soft and the little horns on stock hammers will make your hand look like a plowed field (don't ask how I know that) .
That said ....... See ....... Some bad things ......... :-)
The guns  are built like tanks, the new springs (except for the lever) are just right and the guns are without doubt the best value for dollar for a hammer double in CAS.
I also own a Pedersoli.  Built like a Swiss watch.  Georgeous.  But, that would be trying to compare a Rolls to ....... a VW.
The two TTNs I sold were a mistake.  I should,d have kept both of em.

Coffinmaker

Well now I can say I've heard someone say something bad about one.   ;)
I'm curious.  Would you still buy one?  Would you recommend to someone else that they buy one?
I agree they are a great value.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Seth,
For anyone looking for a Hammer Double the should absolutely consider buying a Cimarron gun.  The innards are a mite rough, but the guns are built like tanks.  They're heavy enough to soak up loads of recoil and if your not trying to go teal fast, they work quite well straight out of the Box.
The Pedersoli is wonderfully well made and easily twice the price of the Cimarron.  Worth the money?? Yes.  I love well made guns, but I can get TWO Cimarron's for the price of the Pedersoli and they will undoubtably out last me, so the Cimarron is definitely a great buy!!!

Coffinmaker 

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
What is this Pedersoli shotgun you speak of?  Are you referring to their muzzleloading guns?  Or are they making conventional cartridge guns?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1228
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
What is this Pedersoli shotgun you speak of?  Are you referring to their muzzleloading guns?  Or are they making conventional cartridge guns?

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_237/rifles-side-by-side-cartridge-shotguns-wyatt-earp.html

Taylors and Cimarron sell it.  Not sure who else.  Cimarron calls it the Doc Holiday shotgun.

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 03:52:33 AM »
OMG! What makes those guns worthy of that price tag?!  I know Pedersoli makes nice guns, but c'mon, are they really worth that much?
Taylor's wants $1700 for it, Cimarron wants over $1500.  And I just noticed it has a tang safety. :-[  What is that gun a copy of?  I noticed Taylor's also sells a gun made by CZ USA for about $900, but again, no mention is made of what it's a copy of.  Maybe it's not a copy of anything.  I don't know much about CZ USA.  Is that gun worth $900? (It, too, has a tang safety.)

1961MJS

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
Hi Y'all
I own a CZ rifle and their guns are all accurate, well made pieces of equipment.  I was trying to find a CZ side by side 12 gauge when the Kral Cimarron came in.   I didn't know if the CZ fit because I didn't see one at the Tulsa gun show.

Later

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »
OMG! What makes those guns worthy of that price tag?!  I know Pedersoli makes nice guns, but c'mon, are they really worth that much?
Taylor's wants $1700 for it, Cimarron wants over $1500.  And I just noticed it has a tang safety. :-[  What is that gun a copy of?  I noticed Taylor's also sells a gun made by CZ USA for about $900, but again, no mention is made of what it's a copy of.  Maybe it's not a copy of anything.  I don't know much about CZ USA.  Is that gun with $900? (It, too, has a tang safety.)

Rolexes cost more than Timexes even thought they both do a good job of telling time.

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
Rolexes cost more than Timexes even thought they both do a good job of telling time.

Do you own one of those shot guns?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
Do you own one of those shot guns?

I've had several CZs and handled, examined or worked on all of the others.  Right now the only outside hammers I have kept are an old TTN imported 1878 and a Pioneer.  The Pioneer is probably the best made outside hammer shotgun.  But, it is HEAVY.  Even heavier than the 1878.  It is also no longer made.  Oh, and I have a Rolex and a Timex.  The electric Timex actually keeps better time. ;D

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
Oh, and I have a Rolex and a Timex.  The electric Timex actually keeps better time. ;D

LoL.

I've owned a few really nice electric watches but I gave up on them.  It seemed I spent more time replacing batteries than wearing them.  I now wear automatics or "self winding" mechanical watches.  They cost more.  And they don't keep time as well.  But they are reliable.  And they never need batteries.
I get the picture on the shotguns.  Thanks. ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »
Hey Seth,
I just gotta jump back in here too.  The Pedersoli is a Loose copy of the 1878 with improvements.  It does have a tang safety, but the safety is completely manual.  I don't even notice it.  Whether it is worth it's price depends on your point of view.  If your concern is for a utilitarian gun to play the CAS game, no.  If your point of contention is for a finely made shotgun, then absolutely.  I bought mine from Dixie for a LOT less than Cimarron or Taylor's are asking.  I certainly would NOT pay the $1700 Taylor's want.  No way.
I wanted a Pioneer but took too long to save up my pennies.  Their volume was very low (price) and the Polish Mfgr scored a lucrative military contract that took all their capacity.  So much for the cowboy gun.  I still want one.

Hey Pettifogger,
How much do I need to save up to buy yours??  Provided I can convince ya to part with it??  Trades maybe??  Couple of USFA Double Eagles maybe???

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
Forgot ......
I don't have a Rolex.  I have an Omega  Speedmaster.  It needs to go to the watch hospital.  My $39 Swiss Army battery watch just keeps on ticking.  Better value for dollar but lacking style points.  I also have a real nifty self-winder with a see thru case that draws more ooh and ah than the others combined.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
Hey Seth,
I just gotta jump back in here too.  The Pedersoli is a Loose copy of the 1878 with improvements.  It does have a tang safety, but the safety is completely manual.  I don't even notice it.  Whether it is worth it's price depends on your point of view.  If your concern is for a utilitarian gun to play the CAS game, no.  If your point of contention is for a finely made shotgun, then absolutely.  I bought mine from Dixie for a LOT less than Cimarron or Taylor's are asking.  I certainly would NOT pay the $1700 Taylor's want.  No way.
I wanted a Pioneer but took too long to save up my pennies.  Their volume was very low (price) and the Polish Mfgr scored a lucrative military contract that took all their capacity.  So much for the cowboy gun.  I still want one.

Hey Pettifogger,
How much do I need to save up to buy yours??  Provided I can convince ya to part with it??  Trades maybe??  Couple of USFA Double Eagles maybe???

Coffinmaker

Definite possibility.  I have never fired it.  It has the fitted sheepskin lined case and an extra pair of firing pins.  If you to take a look I'll take a few pictures tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com