Author Topic: Got My Spencer 56-50 Ordered, Now What? Rapine Mould Information.  (Read 29767 times)

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Got My Spencer 56-50 Ordered, Now What? Rapine Mould Information.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2008, 07:52:42 PM »
Now what did you go and git one of those Winchester contraptions fer??!! :-\ Git yerself a Whitney-Kennedy Express and be happy! ;)

Seriously, I'd love a '76, but in 45-60. It's an easy cartridge to live with (and the Whitney is in 45-60). Does yours have the 1 in 90 something twist that 50-110 Winny 1886s had?

Keep shooting your Spencer. You don't always need heavy artillery!

(Photo added by T.F.)

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 08:45:11 PM »
My 50-95 1876 Winchester has 1:48 twist, 0.507 groove and 0.500 bore.  I'm starting a thread on the 1876 board.  Thet's a nice piece you have got there.  Might have to be the next experiment if I get the 50-95 lined out.

BTW, I discovered a little fund raiser for our club.  There's always a few folks drooling when I drag out the Spencer.  So, after the match, I let's 'em shoot it for a buck a pop with the proceeds going to our club.
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 09:14:32 PM »
Backstrap Bill must mean his repro '76 with 1 in 48" ROT as ORIGINAL 50-95  '76's had 1 in 60" ROT.  ;)

Advertising

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 03:51:07 PM »
 ;D  Here is another bullet that looks promising for the 56-50 Spencer when using black powder.  It is the Lyman 515139, currently available through Buffalo Arms Co.  I bought one to try it in my 50-95 Win.  The bullet has 3 grease grooves and a beveled base.  There is no crimp groove, but it would be a simple thing to crimp just forward of the front driving band.  When cast of 20:1 @ 750F, the bullets weigh 343gr with driving bands of 0.518" diameter.  I probably won't get a chance to test it in my Spencer carbine until this time next year; all my brass is loaded for the upcoming season (load all winter, shoot all summer, shoot year round when you can).  If someone has experience with this bullet with black powder in the Spencer, I'd like to know how it worked out.  One more thing, Lyman recommends the 191 top punch - I had to modify mine w/epoxy to keep it from gouging the bullet noses something fierce.  Good shooting to you.

Well, its Feb, 2011 7 I finally got around to trying the Lyman bullet in my Spencer.  Bottom line:  The Rapine bullet works much better in the Spencer, more accurate & feeds better.

Sorry it took so long to do this.  But, hey, I am still faster than most drifting continental plates.

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:39 AM »
It's been a while since I looked at the post.  Thought I'd let you know what I use for lube with black powder.

45% beeswax and 55% vegetable oil + 1 tbps STP.  Add the solid beeswax to the oil to get the correct volume of beeswax.  Beeswax expands quite a bit when liquid - and that will throw the measurement off.  I start with 1 1/8 cup of the oil in a glass measuring cup & then add the beeswax in small chunks to get up to 2 cups.  Then add the STP.  (yes, the STP does make a difference, I believe it makes the lube stickier - is that a word?).  Put the measuring cup of ingredients into a pan of hot water to melt.  Stir it well & also while pouring into the mould.  I made a lube stick mould, this makes about 9 sticks.

This stuff keep fouling soft enough to shoot 60 rounds in a match over a full day without having to clean the bore.  Lube star at the muzzle is still soft at the end of the day, even in the dry Montana air. 

If I anneal after each firing, the case mouths are soft enough to swell & keep significant fouling out of the action, too.

BTW, I am still using Rapine's bullet, too.  I also use it in my replica 1876 winchester in 50-95.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com