Author Topic: Spencer Poll Request  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Spencer Poll Request
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »
Hello SSS,

One of the members of SSS has asked me to initiate a poll of Spencer owners.  The member is in the market for another Spencer and would like your input as to what Spencer to buy. 

If you own a Taylor Spencer in either  .44 Russian, .45 Schofield, or 56-50 , indicate the caliber you have,  how is it performing for you;  likes and dislikes. 

If you own an original Spencer, indicate the caliber and how is it performing for you; likes and dislikes. 

If you own a Romano Spencer, how is it performing for you; likes and dislikes.   

Thanks for your input, the results should be interesting.  The final results will be posted.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spencer Poll Request
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:15:02 PM »
Howdy--- I have a Taylor's in 56-50.  I have been very well pleased with it.  I did have to
 replace the crappy rear sight, and lighten the trigger pull.  I have had no problems with my
 loads, and it feeds and functions without a hitch.  I would have to say that the 56-50 is really
 the way to go with these, as the action was designed to work with that size cartridge.  You
don't have the feed and extraction problems with the 56-50.  Whatever you have, I hope you
 enjoy it as much as I do mine.
French Jack

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:58:02 PM »
Howdy,

I'm actually pretty lucky.  First I tried the .45 Schofield Taylors for a cowboy Chronicle article.  Liked it, but a little finicky with anything but 200-230 bullets.  Great gun.

Owed and shot two original Spencers, both 1860 models in 56-56.  Great shooters, very smooth action.  A little expensive to reload at $2.75 a piece for the cases.  With Buiffalo Arms cases, $100 4D dies, and Rapine .535 375 grain, best combination with 37 grains Triple 7.

Now own and shoot the heck out of Taylor's 56-50.  Awesome gun.  My rear sight is good (they have improved recently) and I opened it up a might.  Cheaper to load than 56-56.  Starline brass $80/100, Lyman cowbot dies $40, and a variety of 350 grain, .512 bullets.  37.5 to 38 grains Triple 7, CCI Mag Rifle primer.  AWESOME!  Took first with it in long range lever gun match.

Only complaint, 9-10 lb. trigger.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:27:06 AM »

Offline Sliprock

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 01:41:50 AM »
I just purchased a Taylors Spencer two weeks ago in 56-50 and got it putting lead down
 the barrel last weekend.  I purchased it from Chatahoochee Blackpowder Arms.  I also
 purchased a lyman mould and dyes.  The rear sight is bordering on worthless.  From
 the initial loading of the brass I am getting considerable gas leakage around the  casing,
enough to foul the action.  My initial impressions are not positive but it is still workable
 with only one round of fifty put through it.
Sliprock.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 12:28:48 PM »
Sliprock-- just a helpful hint on your cases-- after the full-sizing for initial
 loading, I do not completely full size the cases.  I back the sizing die out a
 couple of turns, sizing just enough to insure free chambering.  The chambers
 may be a bit generous, and the Lyman dies are minimum, so the case is fire
 forming to the chamber.  I resize to allow problem free functioning, but not
 completely to retain some of the fit.  You may need to try something on the
 same order.
French Jack

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:16 AM »
I opened up the notch on the battle sight a might for a good sight picture.  It is dead on the money. 

As for blowback, I have not had any problem using triple 7 and Lyman dies.  I gree that backing off the die after firing the first time is a good idea. In fact, I am running tests on my brass to see if just reloading without resizing will work.  My fired cases seem to slip back in the chamber easily without any resizing.

I had the same problem with resizing to minimum dimenions with Lyman 45-120 dies.  The made the case so "minimum, I had cases swelling problems.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 10:10:51 AM »
I forgot the fouling question.  Hmmm, something may be going on , like an oversize chamber.  I have fired 150 rounds of mostly BP and substitute, and some someless through the Spencer without any fouling or stiffness.  In fact, the only reason I had to clean it was to put it back in the safe!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

klw

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 06:10:37 PM »
So what's the status of the more recently made Italian Spencers being imported by both Taylor and Spencer?  They work ok?

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:25:57 AM »
I just became the proud owner of the Taylor's .56/50 Spencer Carbine.  I haven't had the oportunity to shoot it yey, as I forgot to order a shell holder for my press.  That has been rectified, but they are on backorder and I should see them some time in the next two weeks.  Bullets, too are in short supply.  I need a mold for the aylor's Spencer and have been directed to Rapine.  When I get paid next month I will order one and start casting.

Just playing with my spencer is informative.  I learn much about it every time I work the action and watch how everything interacts with each other.  I will be happy when I can get it to the range and start shooting it.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 12:16:37 AM »
I have an 1865 three band rifle in 56-50.  It's great fun to shoot but the sights are dreadful.  It operates perfectly.  Took quite a bit to get it running but it's one of my favorite guns. The cases are expensive but they should last forever.

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 05:20:26 AM »
I have one of Taylor's Spencers in .44 Russian.

I've been very pleased with it.  I haven't shot black powder in it, but I have shot some of the BP replica powders without any problem.  Clean up is a snap.

I had it jam on me big time last Nov at a shoot and took it to Taylor's for repair (I live about an hour away from them).  Turned out it was a faulty part in the breechblock.  Their smith was surprised it passed inspection, or that it worked so long before failing.

To be honest, this is my second Spencer from Taylor's.  I orginally got one of the first ones imported into the country and had nothing but problems with it.  Taylor's tried their best to resolve them but in the end offered to replace the rifle.  I've been extremely happy with the replacement.

I plan to get one of the new .56-50 full length rifles eventually. 

I love shooting this little rifle and it has become my favorite main match rifle.  Something about working both the lever and the hammer brings history to life for me - far more than shooting a Winchester. 

Offline O.T. Buchannan

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 06:38:08 PM »
I have an original Model 1865 Spencer Carbine in .56-50 calibre, and I've had it for about 7 years or so.  I absolutely love it, and have no complaints.

I regard it as the best money I've ever invested in a firearm, and believe me, I've bought a LOT of guns over the past 21 years!!!!!!!!
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »
I have a .45 Taylors.  Put a coulple of hundred rounds of Smokeless thru it so far, no problems.  A hoot to shoot.  Be happy when I get set up back home (just retired from the Navy) and can get to loading Black Powder again.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bushwack Bill

• Captain, U.S. Scouts
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 08:27:19 AM »
 ;D Well, I've got the Taylor's Spencer in 56/.50 and have had a chance to shoot mine with BP Subs and sone 350 grain Lyman bullets I picked up at a Gun Show several years ago.  It shoots well.  I've had the opportunity to try .50 Cal Minnie's and some bullets designed for muzzleloaders.  They all grouped well, but the trigger pull is horendous.  I took out the old Dremmel tool and thinned down and reduced the width of the main spring that bears on the sear.  After some trial and error I've got the trigger pull down to about 3 pounds.

Anyone else who tries this, go slow and polish the spring so you don't contribute to metal fatigue.  Quench often so you don't loose the temper of the spring.  I used both a dremmel grinding stone and a sanding drum to get the results I wanted.

I also ordered a 350 grain Mold from Lyman and their H&I Sizing die and Top Punch.  Soon, I'll be able to rool my own and get proficient with the operation of this neat carbine. ;D
Old Soldiers never die, we fall back to hell to regroup and sell out to the highest bidder

Offline rfd

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 04:02:58 PM »
I shoot an early model 1860 that was converted to 56-60 sometime in the late 1860's.  It shoots very good using either star line brass or custom made brass.  I use a Romano 450 gr mold sized to .514".  The gun shoots and works well after many experiments with the OAL (1.63").  I use RSBS Dies with CCI mag primers, but have good success with WLP primers as well.  I can shoot 50 + rounds without any power build up (Geox 3F).  This is the cleanest firinging blackpowder cartridge rifle I have ever shot (and the easiest to clean
"Using the past to promote the future"

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 08:58:10 AM »
I have the Taylors 56/50.  I really like the looks and function of the carbine.  I have not shot it as of yet.  Still experimenting with bullet shape.

Black River Smith

Black River Smith

Offline Gunner

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 09:15:13 AM »
I have a Taylor's carbine in .45 S&W.
I had problems initially with the gun, but figured them out, and now it is my favorite main match gun. If I can keep my stage times to under 100 seconds when using it, I figure that I won!!! ;D
I have a case of Blackhills smokeless thru it and about 500 stuffed with 777 and a 200g bullet.

Gunner
SSS #1
Gunner SASS #1940L
Spencer Shooting Society #1/Founder, LASSOOS #1s/Founder, SBSS, SCORRS, BOSS, STORM, PoR
"..I wanna be a cowboy when I grow up.."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com