Author Topic: Spencer-keep it or sell it?  (Read 5120 times)

Offline trac1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer-keep it or sell it?
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:26:15 PM »
I just dropped off my Spencer carbine at an auction shop to sell it and now I am having
 second thoughts.  If I keep it i would like to have it refished, but I don't have any idea
 who to turn to or how much the cost.  Any idea on how much it would cost to refinish
 entire gun?  Any idea where to ask?  If I can't afford to refinish I think I want to sell it
 so someone will enjoy it since it just sits in my safe now.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Spencer-keep it or sell it?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 05:13:43 PM »
Trac1,

How about more information about your Spencer  - to refinish or to sell?  I assume it is an original, yes, no?  That would help to get you some replies from members of SSS.  By the way, are you a member yet?  Consider joining?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Fighting Bob Evans

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 06:47:45 PM »
If you've got an original Spencer...don't refinish it! You can sell it and have plenty of dough to buy a clone. An original's value will take a big hit if you refinish it (including sanding or oiling the stock).

If you want to keep it as a shooter just get a replacement centerfire block and swap blocks..but don't refinish it in anyway.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:39:12 AM »

Offline trac1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 08:08:33 PM »
It is an original.  I don't know much about it.  Off hand the serial # is 34*** I think. 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 11:58:11 AM »
Howdy Pard,

I would pick it up and tell them you are having second thoughts. If you sell, the best place to sell a Spencer is on Gunbroker.com  Any Spencer gets $1400-1500 easy.  That way you control the sale.  You do not need an FFL, nor does the buyer, as i9t is an antique, pre-1898.

If you can do things like tell the markings on top of the receiver, the barrel length (20" or 22"), etc. can tell the caliber.  If it is 22" from muzzel to breech, and is NOT marked "Burnside" on the receiver, it is an early 56-56 Civil War vintage.  If it has a 20" barrel it is probably a 56-50 Indian Wars version.

If you email me JPGs of both sides of the receiver, the top of the receiver, and overall, I can give you an idea of what you could get for it.  I am not really an expert on Spencers, but I have owned and shot two originals and two replicas.  I have also written two articles about the Spencer.  Orignals make good shooter, and are not hard to convert to centerfire.

Email me direct <imarangemaster@yahoo.com>

Tulumne Lawman
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Fighting Bob Evans

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 04:26:33 PM »
If it has a 34--- serial number chances are pretty good that it's a Model 1860 Spencer in 56-56. Marcot's book has the serial number range for the Model 1860 as 11,000-62,000.

Offline trac1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:05:09 PM »
My computer has been down for the last week so I did not get any of these posts till now.  I ended up leaving it at the store for auction.  I just noticed the gun shop has it posted, but no picture yet.

It is at http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=803226531.  I can't put the money into it to redo it, hopefully someone will buy it to refinish it or use it.

Thanks for the input I really appreciated the help.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 08:07:34 AM »
Joss,
 reloading components are available, as well a bullet moulds.  If it needs a centerfire breech block, they are avialable for around $200-250.  Whether or not the barrel needs replacement or relining depends on the condition of the bore.  If the bore is acceptable, nothing need be done to the barrel.  However, IF the barrel is needy, I do believe that I would reline it to the Taylor's 56-50, as reloading dies, BRASS, etc. are less expensive than dies and brass for the original calibers.
French Jack

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 08:51:50 PM »
Joss House

Would you be willing to share some of those site or dealer names with us.

Please,  Thanks,

Black River Smith
Black River Smith

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 06:06:09 AM »
Joss,

Does your friend Joel have a web site for selling guns?  Hey Joss,  how come you haven't joined SSS yet?   You visit and contribute to SSS, why not join?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline trac1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know the auction started on my spencer.  I am also selling the Marlin 1889 Deluxe .38-40 lever action rifle listed.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline TexasHighlander

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 11:21:33 PM »
Just bought my Taylor's .44 off GunsAmerica from a dealer in South Dakota for $800 flat. Snapped-it up in a heartbeat. Missing the manual, but Taylor's already has one on the way to me, the gun looks brand new.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com