Author Topic: Cimarron old style  (Read 7638 times)

Offline Eph289

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron old style
« on: December 20, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
Hi folks
Newbie here and trying to make up my mind as to which SAA I want to start with.  I'm considering the Cimarron mp 513  cc/bl 5.5 old style frame in 45 colt. Is this made by Uberti or pietta?  Does it have the two line patent dates stamped on the left side of the frame?  What other stampings are on this gun?

Thanks
Eph289

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron old style
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
This is a Uberti gun as I have the same model in Charcoal blue. The 2 line patent dates are on the left side of the frame and the top of the barrel has   Cimarron  Uberti Italy stamped rather small.  Can see it in this pic of mine.

Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline Eph289

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:57:08 PM »
Thanks for the answers Medic. How do you like your gun?  Any problems with it? Beautiful  finish on it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:05:47 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
That is what I mostly shoot, they are great guns.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
Oh, I slobber over it!!!  ;D    I am a sucker for that shade of blue and tend to baby the finish, tho I tend to shoot it and my Uberti 7 1/2in Antique finish quite a bit. Both in 45 Colt and both with black powder. Never a bit of problem! Sights are dead on at 20 yds and it seems the Cimarron is a bit better in the trigger, lighter and smoother. The only reason I ordered the Uberti 7 1/2 was that I could get it sooner than a Cimarron, tho I wished I had waited. My next one I will definitely get a Cimarron.

BTW... Did I mention I like that color blue???    ;D

Offline Eph289

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »
I'm debating with myself over ordering the cimarron mp513 or the uberti cattleman steel frame in 45 colt. I would prefer the old model but the catalogs list the cattleman as pre-war frame. So, it is not made or available in the old model frame?

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
The Cimarron  MP513 is the Old Model P blackpowder frame. Still currently cataloged.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1233
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »
Cimarron carries both Pre-War and Old Model guns from both Pietta and Uberti.  The Pietta models will start with PP (PP513), and the Ubertis are MP (Model P, i.e. MP513).  Both have the two line patent date.  The MP Old Model will have the original style v-notch rear and tapered front.  I think the Pietta Old Model has the same square sights as the Pre-War.  The Pietta is not available in charcoal blue, while the MP is but may not always be in stock.

As for the generic Uberti Cattleman, I believe it is available in both Pre-War and Old Model.  It is the same basic gun as the Cimarron but a little less refined, such as having the safety hammer and more proof marks on the frame and cylinder.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
I'm debating with myself over ordering the cimarron mp513 or the uberti cattleman steel frame in 45 colt. I would prefer the old model but the catalogs list the cattleman as pre-war frame. So, it is not made or available in the old model frame?
Get the Cimarron, it is more refined and doesn't have that stupid hammer safety. As Abilene said, the Uberti Cattleman is more generic.

I hear people say all the time that they are both made by Uberti and the same thing but they are not the same, I have owned plenty of both and can tell you the Cimarron is the better gun. I have culled mine and now own pretty much all ones from Cimarron.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Eph289

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
Thanks for all the help and info. The Cattleman has one of those transfer bar safety things?  I'll get the Cimarron.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1233
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
Thanks for all the help and info. The Cattleman has one of those transfer bar safety things?  I'll get the Cimarron.

No, not a transfer bar.  It is a little gizmo that fits into the face of the hammer, below the firing pin.  There is linkage inside the hammer that goes down to the safety notch of the hammer.  You can only see the little wedge-shaped gizmo when the hammer is cocked, although you can tell when the hammer is down by a vertical slot on the rear of the hammer and a setscrew on top of the hammer in the bottom of the "dip".  It is not horribly ugly (like a transfer bar and no firing pin on the hammer), it's more subtle than that, but just not authentic.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
Howdy
Plan on adding a Cimarron mp522 ( 4 3/4 inch 44wcf  ) to my line up . This is what I plan on carrying hunting , love the short barrel .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com