Author Topic: American Western Arms Longhorn  (Read 6989 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
American Western Arms Longhorn
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
Howdy folks,

I was at one of the local gun stores today, when I saw a AWA Longhorn SAA with birds head grips for about $300. I got to handle it, and it might have been the smoothest action I've ever felt on a revolver, and they were selling it for $300. Everything appeared to be okay, just some wear on the finish, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enamored with it. So I've got to ask, does anyone have any experience with these? How are they? Would it be worth the money?

If it is worth the money, I need to see if I can get anything decent out of my Uberti Walker and maybe my Mosin Nagant, neither see as much use as they deserve…

Thanks in advance!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: American Western Arms Longhorn
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:14:38 AM »
I bought a pair of .45s with 5.5" barrels and regular grips about fifteen years ago.  Had one very minor issue with one and nothing but great guns since then.  Can't say enough good about them.

Balance beautifully, smooth as oil on glass, very nice finish,

Both guns shoot low left 4"-5" with either hand at 25 yards, but will hold a 6" group which is about as good as I can hold them.  Never bothered to adjust the sights.

Someday I'll change the grips for some slightly wider, really pretty ones.

Watch the hand spring.  Mine have coil spring and ball in a hole type.  Buy extra parts for these because I guarantee you'll lose a few.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »
I bought a pair of .45s with 5.5" barrels and regular grips about fifteen years ago.  Had one very minor issue with one and nothing but great guns since then.  Can't say enough good about them.

Balance beautifully, smooth as oil on glass, very nice finish,

Both guns shoot low left 4"-5" with either hand at 25 yards, but will hold a 6" group which is about as good as I can hold them.  Never bothered to adjust the sights.

Someday I'll change the grips for some slightly wider, really pretty ones.

Watch the hand spring.  Mine have coil spring and ball in a hole type.  Buy extra parts for these because I guarantee you'll lose a few.

I'll say, thumbing back that hammer felt amazing. Smoothest action I've ever felt. Where would I find replacement parts?

Thanks for the reply!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:05:02 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Seems I recall (with my old swiss cheese memory) that most Colt Gen II. parts will fit.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »
Seems I recall (with my old swiss cheese memory) that most Colt Gen II. parts will fit.

Thanks! Me and the fiancé are going to run out tonight and see it again. Maybe I can talk her into letting me get it as an early birthday/christmas/anniversary gift, but we'll see.

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »
Well, I was able to get it! My Missus saw it, liked it, and thought it'd make a good Birthday/Christmas gift. It's serial number L3017. I can't tell if its Uberti, Pietta or Armi San Marcos, but everything seems a-okay with it!

Pictured with my Uberti Remington and by itself.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Trum4n1208/IMAG0454_zps9a6be291.jpg[/img]][/url]

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah261/Trum4n1208/IMAG0451_zpse744d899.jpg[/img]][/url]

Offline heartlandsales

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
I have an American Western Arms (AWA) Longhorn model with the standard style of grips with a 7-1/2" bbl. in .357mag....It has the smoothest action of any single action revolver I've ever held or owned. I've seen them priced at gun shows, Gunbroker.com, Auction Arms and Gunsamerica anywhere from $600 to $900..My Longhorn also has some of the nicest case hardened finished I've ever seen on a SAA as well.  IMO, any single action army 1873 revolver, no matter the handle, caliber or barrel length is worth $300...I suggest you get it before someone else...good luck..from the Heartland

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
I have an American Western Arms (AWA) Longhorn model with the standard style of grips with a 7-1/2" bbl. in .357mag....It has the smoothest action of any single action revolver I've ever held or owned. I've seen them priced at gun shows, Gunbroker.com, Auction Arms and Gunsamerica anywhere from $600 to $900..My Longhorn also has some of the nicest case hardened finished I've ever seen on a SAA as well.  IMO, any single action army 1873 revolver, no matter the handle, caliber or barrel length is worth $300...I suggest you get it before someone else...good luck..from the Heartland

Well, I did pick it up. Sadly however, it ended up being a bust. Cylinder rod would pop out under recoil, and accuracy was all the hell over the place (pretty sure it was .454 barrel, and my reloads are .452). I was able to get most of my money back, so now I'm eye-balling either a '51 Navy, a Sword Von Tempsky Bowie Knife, or maybe a High Wall, depending on how my birthday and Christmas treats me. A real shame too, that action was slick as silk.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com