Author Topic: Gunsmithing the clones?  (Read 6666 times)

Offline Parson McGrady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunsmithing the clones?
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:50 AM »
Are the clones using drop in or "some gunsmithing required" interchangeable parts? I saw a decent deal on an Uberti then my mind started to wonder how easy parts, tuning, etc. I am a tinkerer.

Blessings,

Parson McGrady

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Gunsmithing the clones?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:49 AM »
Are the clones using drop in or "some gunsmithing required" interchangeable parts? I saw a decent deal on an Uberti then my mind started to wonder how easy parts, tuning, etc. I am a tinkerer.

Blessings,  Parson McGrady

Parson when you say "interchangeable parts" do you mean swapping parts between makers?  If so it will seldom work.  Lets just pick a revolver, the Uberti Cattleman, you can get new parts and they are technically drop in, now if you want the timing etc to be spot on, then there will be some gunsmithing required.  A person can say the same about a brand new out of the box revolver, the better you want it to run or for competition, there usually is some gunsmithing required.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
Nearly any gun you try to interchange a part with or replace old with new will need a little fine tuning. I've messed with a bunch'a S&W DA Revolvers and although most are close, they usually need a little adjustment.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:54 AM »

Offline Parson McGrady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
Thanks folks! I am mostly looking to make sure I can get springs, spare parts, etc. I do not want to replace a barrel, but maybe a spring or three.

Currently looking at the Uberti for CFDA.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
Springs, screws and such usually fit right on although I have had trouble with Uberti Bolt Springs being too wide in a real Colt.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »
Thanks folks! I am mostly looking to make sure I can get springs, spare parts, etc. I do not want to replace a barrel, but maybe a spring or three.

Currently looking at the Uberti for CFDA.

VTI has parts for Uberti and many aftermarket springs are also available.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
Gawd but I hate the term "clone."  There NOT clones.  There reproductions.  Anyway, beyond springs and screws, within a manufacturers line, most parts will fit in their intended space.  To fit correctly and in time will require "fitting."  The lone exception to this general bit of knowledge, are Pietta built Guns.  Pretty much drop in within type.

Coffinmaker

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
A bigger problem, as I'm sure you well know Coffinmaker, is that Uberti has changed their specs a time or two, e.g., screw sizes, thread pitch, etc. This can "kill" a rebuild project on the spot.  :'(

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
FCK,
I hate to scare folks off with the vagrancies of Uberti changes in specs.  Go back 10 or twelve years and no current manufacture parts will fit/work.  Especially in rifles.
For recently built guns, life is much less complicated.  Hopefully, new guys, will buy newer guns.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Parson McGrady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
Is the build change less noticeable in Pietta? I have neither desire nor funds to "ride the pony" but would like something that is supportable and historically accurate.

On a tangent, weren't the 2nd generations SAA's in the 1950's?

Blessings,

Parson McGrady

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »
Well, from how far away.  ALL of the current reproductions have innacuracies.  And construction variations.  Even Colt.  There are small differences in hands, bolts, triggers, stuff basically, that tend to keep us gun plumbers busy. 
The guns that were manufactured in the last 5 - 6 years have achieved a fair level of standardization.  While not necessarily interchangeable within manufacture, we're down to minimal fitting of Uberti parts.
Pietta, on the other hand is a different story.  When EMF contracted with Pietta for the Great Western II, one of the requirements imposed, was a half dozen guns could be taken apart and the parts thrown in a box.  Those parts could be drawn at random and reassembled into a working SA.  Pietta met that requirement.  Dimensionally, Pietta is very very close to a 2d Gen.   Overall, I feel Pietta built guns are the best value for dollar of current manufacturers.  It's a shame Pietta doesn't make conversions

Coffinmaker

PS:  If you choose to "ride the pony," you'll be disappointed to learn they require the same ministrations as everyone else, to be really user friendly.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
+1 to what Coffinmaker said.  Also, Pietta didn't make SAA's 20 years ago, so you don't have to worry about parts fitting a Pietta SAA.  You asked about Colt 2nd Gens.  They were made from the mid-1950's to the mid 70's.  Most collectors want the ones made in the 50s or early 60s.  As time went on they changed a bit and the 70s vintage guns aren't nearly as nice as the earlier ones.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 12:18:27 AM »
Most Colt SAAs and "reproductions" do require some adjustment and smoothing out and some parts like the bolt spring and mainspring are the weak points in the design and eventually will fail or need replacement.  Factory parts for original 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Colts require hand fitting to some degree.  Pietta has done what no other Colt SAA reproduction has done with interchangeable "drop in" parts.  Even so, the SAA design will benefit from smoothing and adjusting no matter who makes it, even the excellent USFAs which are sadly not produced anymore.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 11:12:01 PM »
  I'm a Uberti Colt REPRODUCTION owner (five of 'em right now), and a rabid tinkerer. My Dad owns a couple of Uberti's too. I've fooled with all these by polishing innards, lightening/replacing/swapping mainsprings, fitting cylinders and replacing front sights. In my opinion, they're a tinkerers dream; easy to work on and so far parts swap out easily.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:49 PM »
True, even the Uberti guns have parts that require not much fitting if any to get them to work in any gun they make.  The SAA design is not overly complicated, but they do benefit from fine tuning.  Polishing is a must, even on a brand new 3rd gen Colt SAA as some I have worked on seemed like they had sand in the action and the mainspring was meant for a dump truck.  The tuned guns from the importers are always much better out of the box.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com