Author Topic: .44-40 vs .45 LC in a Rossi 92  (Read 6669 times)

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.44-40 vs .45 LC in a Rossi 92
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
Hello all. Looking to get me a Rossi 92 in either .45 LC or .44-40. I will reload for both so ammo will not be a problem. Sometimes I may shoot some BP loads through whichever rifle I get. I am aware that the .44-40 seals the chamber better than the .45. I already have a Rossi .357 that I bought around '94 and a .44 mag that I got in '98. What I am itching for is a 16" barrel with the large loop and the saddle ring but am not decided on which caliber to get.(please save the comments about it being slower to operate) I do not shoot CAS just interested in the old guns and would not plan on competing in future with such a big loop. Would like it mainly for a truck gun and just for the coolness factor. I have a .44-40 Ruger and I also have a '73 Cimm Mdl P in .45 LC. Would like some points on the pros and cons of each caliber in that model. Also is there a certain version of the Rossis that does not have the safety on top? Was reading around and understood that it was certain importers that were putting the safeties on. Is there more than one importer or just one? Hoping I can come across an older one on a auction site.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .44-40 vs .45 LC in a Rossi 92
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:48:29 AM »
Hey Dancer,
Reloading the 44-40 is slightly more difficult and fiddly because the spent case has to be pre-lubed due to the shape of the case.
The .45 is a straight-walled case, and is more easily reloaded without the pre-lubing stage.
Other than that, buy both and have fun!!!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
The bottom line truth is that it's like one is 6 and the other is a half a dozen.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:59 AM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
Howdy DWC, the 44/40 is the best rifle caliber IMHO for the obvious reasons. They seal the chamber and feed smoother, so there is never an issue with blow back or fouling, especially when shooting BP. I've yet to have a problem reloading with Hornady One Shot case lube, a little shot is all it takes. Plus the 44/40 is an original rifle cartridge. Good Luck.

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
Looking at what you want the rifle for, I'd go with the 45 Colt.  In a M-92 you can load it really hot if needed for something like feral hogs, or load it as light as you care to fro just plinking.  For reloading, the 45 is a much simpler proposition with carbide dies.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
And if you load .45 Colt with heavy bullet using BP it will seal the chamber better than with a lighter bullet.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
Tha sure has been my experience for the past 5 years!  ;D  WARTHOG!!  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:41:40 AM »
Tha sure has been my experience for the past 5 years!  ;D  WARTHOG!!  ;D  ;D

I'll second that, had no problem with blowback in my Rossi .45Colt
 ;D Go Warthog ;D
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
I have used both calibers in SASS and I have had no problems with either as a lot of people post. The 45 Colt was designed to be a revolver cartridge the same year that the 44-40 was designed by Winchester to be a rifle cartridge. The 45 Colt did not have to be extracted or ejected and was almost a rim less case. That is the only reason it was not a rifle round, no other. If you load the 45 Colt up to warthog standards then the clean up is not that bad. You will have some blow-by in the bolt and chamber area that can be cleaned very easy. I now shoot the 44-40 only because I switched from a 92 to a 73. I find no difference in the loading other than the 44-40 do have to be sprayed with a case lube. I have never had the crushed necks and other problems that people talk about. I load Starline brass for most of my loads but also load R-P and Winchester. Either cartridge is correct for history with the 45 Colt first and the 44-40 second. The 44-40 rifle after being shot with BP has to have only the BBL cleaned which makes that faster. The 45 Colt revolvers may fire the Schofield round for lighter recoil and less materials used and that is also historically correct as the ARMY did it all the time. The 44-40 brass is more expensive to use as it is stepped on and bent and harder to find at certain times of the year.It is also about a nickel more per case. Either one will be fun or do as I did and shoot both!!
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline Cole Younger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:14 AM »
I load and shoot both and have owned rifles in both.  I currently have a Rossi '92 in 44 WCF.  I think most of the pluses and minuses have been covered.  Seems like you have most of them covered as well since you're already shooting and loading for both cartridges.  I would give a slight nod to the 44...but only slightly.  The Winchester was built for that cartridge specifically and I think that is the bottom line here.  Most of the other stuff has to do with reloading and procurement.  The 44 is A LOT easier to get now than it was even ten years ago.  Flip a coin.

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:27 AM »
I have reloaded my 44-40's in a Dillon Square Deal ever since they put out dies for it and have never lubed a case or lost one (other than missing the sizing die) yet. I just make sure the cases are clean. I love the round.

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com