Author Topic: Casting ingots  (Read 1211 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Casting ingots
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
Just finished casting up a bunch of lead ingots from a 5 gallon bucket of range lead. We replaced the sand at the base of our indoor range and set aside the contaminated lead for people like me.

Due to the amount of debris (rubber belting, inert wall board, etc.) it was strictly an outdoor job. God knows what kind of a mix I ended up with, but it looks like it will be satisfactory as is for BPCR's.

I'm not very scientific about the alloy I use. In the past I've shot a wheel weight/soft lead alloy that I can mark with a thumbnail and it shoots well. This new metal is similar in that regard.

I've tried the various recommended formulae, but doing it in small batches never gave me consistency, so I just went with seemed right at the time.

Two of my old BPCR friends used to make an annual trek to a foundry four hours away to pick up a load of lead alloy that covered the bed of a 3/4 ton pick up. One orderred 1x20 and t'other 1x30. Both were excellent shots.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com