Are You Ready?

Started by sixdogsmom, January 31, 2011, 11:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

One might say I made that statement in jest.

From what I understand: In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer at CNN, Gore said, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

Speaking of being prepared:  A friend of mine who lives in Taos, NM called another friend here in town and told her that they are out of natural gas in New Mexico.  I have never heard of such a thing, but did find an article about it on the internet.  Rose said that due to the drain of gas from Texas and California, from the cold, NM is out.  She blames their governor for selling to much of it to other states.  The article states that when the gas pressure is up enough, that each house and business will have to be turned on individually by the company.  As she was talking to my friend, she said the power had gone off and all of a sudden she has no electricity.  Has anyone else heard anything about this? 

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on February 03, 2011, 06:42:09 PM
You too? Please look up the thing about Al Gore and you'll see what really happened. He never said he "invented" the Internet in the sense people took it to mean. He was instrumental in taking what was being used by the military and some upper echelon universities and worked to make it available to everyone as it is now. It's really a shame it turned into a big joke.

Diane, Gore is a fraud and has been long before he made the statement. Secondly, The INTERNET was around long before he made that statement.   I was using it in the early 80's and around 92, it was available to everyone if you had 85.00 per month to get it.  Furthermore, you could dial into any college and University if you were a student and access it from there. 
Internet explorer, firefox, netscape, and opera were not the first browser. The first Graphical one was mosaic developed in 1992.  It was preceeded by mosaic in 1987 i think. And Gopher as well as lynx i believ e was used to serve up web pages before then.   

Gore didn't have much to do if anything to do with the web.  The web was running along fine before he got there.
He's a fake a farce a fraud.  He has always been.   You should see what his rental properties are like.  Slum lord gore is what they call him around tennessee. 

Hes definately the senators son that CCR sang about.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Supposedly, from what I read long ago, Al Gore had a lot to do with the expansion of the internet so the average person would be able to afford it ,and not at such a heady price per month.  UD had it early too, the father of a friend was part of it back then.  I remember wondering what the heck a "floppy disk" was. Al got his first one fairly early, around 1986 or so I think.
   RJ, I heard the same thing. Apparently the extra cold weather has everyone using more gas and the delivery system can't keep up.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on February 03, 2011, 10:30:23 PM
Supposedly, from what I read long ago, Al Gore had a lot to do with the expansion of the internet so the average person would be able to afford it ,and not at such a heady price per month.  UD had it early too, the father of a friend was part of it back then.  I remember wondering what the heck a "floppy disk" was. Al got his first one fairly early, around 1986 or so I think.
   RJ, I heard the same thing. Apparently the extra cold weather has everyone using more gas and the delivery system can't keep up.
I had one in 1985 i think, maybe it was 84. Don't quite remember.   Had 40mb hard drive on it, and 2 5 1/2 floppy drives and a 3 1/2" floppy along with a 1200 and 2400 modem. I bought my first US Robotics 9600 in 86, and ran a BSS from 84 - 98. 

Mine was 16 lines incoming and had internet access through my board.  IT was Operators like me and others that ran the fidonet that gave internet the jumpstart and it was out of our own pockets and users that it took off. FINALLY in 95 corporations made it so the cost dropped.  MCI was the main one that built the OCR3 network that brought it to what we see today. If i am not mistaken they operate at OC128 now.  Hmm think its 1 TB per sec transfer rates.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Ole Granny

Roma, I have a cousin living in New Mexico.  Residents who use gas have been asked to turn their heat down 10 degrees, according to my cousin.  She has electric heat so is not having any problems.  She has electricity and the internet at the present time.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

sixdogsmom

It is 5:00 PM Friday evening, and it is snowing like a fool. Weather guy says there is a chance for flurries  from the backside of the storm that passed through Dallas earlier today. I did get out and made it to the post office after some kind soul plowed the alley in back of the carport. There was a huge drift there, more than I knew I could negotiate. I went out yesterday and tried to break up some ruts cut earlier.  :P :P One of Teds' ggranddaughters has posted pictures on facebook of a snowman she built in Austin Tx. It is obvious that she woked very hard to scoop enough snow together to construct this thing that is maybe five inches tall.  :D :DHappy winter everyone! I think this is groundhogs' revenge.
Edie

Roma Jean Turner

Heard from my neice today.  She and hubby checked on the Moline house and it was fine.  No broken pipes.  What a relief.  Thanks to Merle Hey for shoveling the snow in front of the house.  We all really appreciate it.

kshillbillys

OH GOODY MORE SNOW! I CAN HARDLY WAIT!  :P ::) My legs are killing me from walking in this stuff last week...NO MORE! >:(
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

greatguns

Yep!  Here we go again.  Stay safe and warm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk