Common Core Education And More About Federal Government Control

Started by Ross, December 20, 2013, 02:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Quote from: Catwoman on June 21, 2014, 08:26:25 PM
I'll have to post some more on the Poetry board...I recently threw out about a shoebox full of the stuff.  You are adept at poetry, if I recall??  ;)  Perhaps a haiku about hopeless causes??? lol

How's this for a start on poetry:

Ladies and Gentlemen
Hobo and Tramps
Crosseyed Misquitos
And Bowl Legged Ant's.

They are here to tell you a story
They know nothing about.

Now about improving educational standards for the children of Kansas, what is your position on that?

And Obama Commo Core, do ou as a teacher have a clue?

Or is it just poetry and clay and junk that matter and not the children's education?

Is there a poetry thread? Can you find it teacher?

ROFLMAO! Higher education failing right here as pointed out by an unedumacated redneck.

Thank you ladies for proving a point about degrees.
Keep up the good work.

Ross

My personal view is:
There is a very good video that is slanted towards Common Core but still says Common Core isn't workable. I still believe it is about industry making Billions of Dollars and Federal Control. If you have seenany of the childrens papers posted by parents you can't help to believe it is about Dumbing Down of America. And the special needs children got and get left out the video says. Personhally I believe the states and local School Boards should wise up. Some teachers as well!

From Oklahoma to Louisiana:
Why states are dropping
Common Core
By  Kyle Olson
·Published June 21, 2014

When Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin signed a bill repealing Common Core national standards from her state's schools, it was perhaps the most ironic moment in the fight over the initiative.

Fallin is chairwoman of the National Governors Association, one of the private groups that hold the copyright of Common Core. (Yes, this marks the first time in history a private group has owned school standards.)

While Fallin wasn't governor at the time the standards were created and adopted, she nonetheless rejected her own organization's initiative.

In the same week, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley signed a bill to repeal Common Core and require the state to design its own standards for the 2015-2016 school year.

Indiana has repealed Common Core, too, though the replacement standards are largely seen as a disappointment because they virtually mirror the national standards.

Legislation is also making its way through the North Carolina legislature that would repeal Common Core there, as well.

"We want high standards. If there are pieces or components of Common Core that you think are age appropriate, they can take those individual pieces, but as a whole ... we want more rigorous standards," bill sponsor Rep. Bryan Holloway said.

In Oklahoma, after signing the bill, Fallin said, "Common Core was created with that well-intentioned goal in mind. ... It was originally designed as a state-led – not federal – initiative that each state could choose to voluntarily adopt.

"Unfortunately, federal overreach has tainted Common Core. President Obama and Washington bureaucrats have usurped Common Core in an attempt to influence state education standards. The results are predictable. What should have been a bipartisan policy is now widely regarded as the president's plan to establish federal control of curricula, testing and teaching strategies."

Fallin's 180-degree turn on Common Core was four years in the making, and was the result of valiant, persistent efforts from parents like Jenni White.

The parents started with "one legislator who wrote a bill for us to simply repeal Common Core from law," White, the leader of Restore Oklahoma Public Education tells me.

"It wasn't heard by the committee chairmen in either the Senate or the House in 2011 or 2012. In 2013, we had a bill for a task force to simply study the costs of the standards that made it through the rules committee, but was not brought to the House floor for a vote.

"This year we had several rallies, including one where 350 people came to the capitol at 9 a.m. to sit in an early Senate education committee meeting. There were people in the halls and standing room only in the Senate committee room and that seemed to turn the tide in our direction," she says.

But to hear Common Core advocates, none of this is happening.

The once credible Fordham Institute has been a virtual Baghdad Bob of Common Core proponents, denying there's a strong, reasoned anti-Common Core movement afoot just as Saddam Hussein's spokesman denied American troops were in Iraq while news footage showed them tearing across the desert.

Fordham's Michael Brickman jetted to Oklahoma to plead with the governor to veto the bill.

"Governor Fallin now faces a consequential crossroad of whether to stand up for strong education standards or to bend to vocal political critics," Brickman wrote in a last-minute analysis.

Despite how Brickman framed it, Fallin sided with states' rights and against the federal creep into American schools. And she dismissed the absurd notion that the Common Core national standards are the only way to raise the bar in schools. Only DC education elites could believe that.

Action in Oklahoma, South Carolina and North Carolina indicates the Common Core dam may be breaking.

In Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal signed an executive order that requires his state to develop its own standards, and drops it out of the two main federally-funded testing consortia.

Missouri legislators have passed HB 1490, which would repeal Common Core in their state. It now sits on the desk of Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon.

In Ohio, activists are attempting to seize on the energy from the other states and recently held a rally at the statehouse. Some 300 people showed up.

At the rally, Rep. John Adams announced he is circulating a discharge petition to force a floor vote on repeal legislation.

"Why do we choose to use federal standards? Money. Politics. Failed leadership," Adams said.

By the way, all of these states have something in common: Republican governors and Republican-dominated legislatures.

Fallin's analysis of the situation is poignant and causes one to wonder why other states aren't responding as her state did, unless they're so hooked on federal money or so fearful of (or comfortable with) their Washington overlords that they wouldn't dare raise a hackle.

When the final analysis of the Common Core debacle is done, it will likely be concluded states shouldn't adopt substantial policy changes willy-nilly, all in the name of attracting federal cash. Because it always ends precisely how Fallin describes it.

The only ones left defending it will be the Baghdad Bobs insisting it is the "critics" – read: parents – to blame, not the incompetent power-grabbers in Washington.

Kyle Olson is founder of Education Action Group and EAGnews.org, a news service dedicated to education reform and school spending research, reporting, analysis and commentary.

Ross

I think this explains a lot about Teachers, Obama and Obama Common Core and how they are all tied together. Shouldn't teachers control their Unions or are they as cornfussed as every other organization in this nation?
Don't teachers elect their leaders?
They must be electing piss poor leaders?
I guess teachers need educated in how their union works? LOL

FROM WATCHDOG WIRE - PENNSYLVANIA

Opinion: Retired Public School Teacher
Confesses
Why He Left Teaching

Disagreed with PA State Ed Association
June 19, 2014
by Bill Frye

I taught science full-time for more than two decades and enjoyed a rewarding career educating a generation of public school students in Westmoreland County. I retired from teaching earlier than I wanted, though, and I'd like to tell you why.

As a union member for most of my teaching career, I never disguised the fact that I disagreed with much of the Pennsylvania State Education Association's political dogma. The union promoted values and ideals that I not only disagreed with, but also routinely had no relevance to education.

Before you jump to conclusions, let me assure you that I'm not anti-union. I've been generally happy with the local union in my old school district. I've also been a member of the farmers' union all my life. Unions have an important place in society.

It is the state and national teachers' unions—the PSEA and the National Education Association—that I grew to resent. Their use of my union dues to support political causes I disagreed with ultimately led me to leave education.

Case in point: A school year's first teacher in-service day usually consists of the administration welcoming teachers, introducing new staff and outlining goals for the year. But in the fall of 2012, PSEA sponsored a pep rally and played a video for the entire school staff to encourage us to help re-elect President Barack Obama. Normally, events like this happen after the school workday—when attendance is voluntary, not when teachers are a captive audience.

What's more, the PSEA's magazine The Voice—which is sent to 180,000 members and paid for with our dues—regularly featured ads praising President Obama while denigrating and lampooning his opponents. Teachers paid for this political activity no matter which candidate we personally supported—and every other taxpayer paid for it as well.

How? Pennsylvania allows government unions to use taxpayer-funded payroll systems to collect their members' dues—as well as optional political action committee contributions that can be sent directly to politicians.

But aren't unions prohibited from using members' dues for politics? Take it from the PSEA itself: Last year, their magazine featured a notice that 12 percent (which amounts to $7 million) of teachers' dues would be used for political activity and lobbying. That's in addition to millions in PAC money.

Unions use teachers' money to advocate for policies that will leave teachers, students and all of us poorer. The main example is how the PSEA is advocating against reforming our deeply indebted public pension system.

One incentive for me to continue in public education was the pay and working conditions for educators. I looked forward to what, at least in my opinion, is a very generous retirement—which I will credit the unions for helping to achieve. But I'm also a landowner and property tax payer.
I'm told the pension systems are $50 billion in debt and will require huge property tax hikes if nothing is done.

I feel sorry for people on fixed incomes—like some of my teacher colleagues who retired years ago—who will have to struggle to pay these rising taxes.

Everyone agrees the pension system, as it currently exists, is not sustainable.
There are solutions to bring economic viability to the system. But the PSEA, using members' dues money, is one of the main roadblocks to reasonable reform. In a recent "alert" email to members, the union called the latest compromise proposal a "pension attack" that "targets women and new employees" while offering no solutions except to raise taxes.

I couldn't take any more of PSEA's fear-mongering and divisiveness on political issues, so I spoke out. As a result, the personal attacks I received (from union members) made me choose to retire and focus on my farm business.

But, as a taxpayer, there's no escape: I'm still forced to help PSEA collect its political money.

Legislation called paycheck protection would stop PSEA and other government unions from using public payroll systems to siphon their political money from teachers' pay.

I think if legislators truly support teachers, they should give teachers a bigger say over how their money is spent in the political world. Government unions might then engage in productive negotiation instead of political lobbying.

Bill Frye is a retired public school science teacher from Westmoreland County.

http://watchdogwire.com/pennsylvania/2014/06/19/opinion-retired-public-school-teacher-confesses-why-he-left-teaching/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sunday_25

Ross

Well Diane here it is just like I said, Word for Word, see:

I'll be carrying this back to the Political thread "Common Core Education And More About Federal Government Control" at http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,15765.160.html  where it belongs. Just because you choose to twist word about lacking compassion concerning poor people and their children attending school to something else changes nothing. Diane, don't you realize that twisting or omtting words is simply the same as lying? And it is not nice!

And Diane there is a difference between
Sympathy and Compassion!

Sympathy is a feeling or expression of pity or sorrow about someone's situation. Sympathy might indicate a genuine concern about the distress of another. Sympathy is a feeling ONLY. There is no action to solve the situation.

Compassion goes beyond merely having a feeling or expressing pity. Compassion is sharing the suffering. It is more than words and lip service. A compassionate person not only recognizes the needs of others, but also acts upon that need.

But fear not
I don't believe you will be accused
of either as an EMT.

Does that qualify as a Japanese Haiku ? LOL

Oh I like that, Boss Ross idea of yours Diane, but I retired from that and don't plan to do it again, Thank You.
I have told you about a boss's poem about me, in a previous post I do believe, but since you like poetry so much, I'll repeat it for just for you.

He use to love to say:

Here come Ross
The Boss
On the
Fautin' Hoss.

He had a college education too! Ain't that sweet!

Don't forget to visit the thread "Common Core Education And More About Federal Government Control" at http://www.cascity.com/howard/forum/index.php/topic,15765.160.html  where it belongs. Do it later today or possibly Tomorrow. This post of yours actually belongs there in an untwisted form.
I will definitely try to put some truth to it, Okay ---Ok.

Just to give you peace of mind Diane, don't worry about getting confused with being an elite, I doubt that will ever happen.

Now to get to your post paragraph by paragraph or sentence by sentence, my choice. LOL

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 22, 2014, 10:35:33 AM
I just took a break from clearing out the upstairs bathroom for the workmen tomorrow. I guess nobody can call me an elite snob after waiting 25 years to do a change up.  ;) Even at that it's very simple, nothing fancy at all.

Hey Cat, I did write a new Haiku over in the poem section that Boss Ross had to say something hurtful about. He never misses a chance. ...a shame....suggesting we couldn't find the poetry section. HA!

Did I do that? Wow, I don't recall suggesting anything of the sort!
I asked a simple question. Gee you are sensitive! See here it is and I quote myself, word for word:

Quote from: ROSS on June 21, 2014, 09:15:49 PM
Is there a poetry thread? Can you find it teacher?

And you didn't even appreciate my poem, here it is again just for you Diane:
Quote from: ROSS on June 21, 2014, 09:15:49 PM
How's this for a start on poetry:

Ladies and Gentlemen
Hobo and Tramps
Crosseyed Misquitos
And Bowl Legged Ant's.

They are here to tell you a story
They know nothing about.

I went back for entertainment value and reread his latest flailing around. He is genuinely troubled.

I said that before you did Diane, check it out:

Quote from: ROSS on June 17, 2014, 09:30:12 PM
You know what, lot's of people are reading this and i am sure it has to be for the entertainment value, LOL.

He is genuinely troubled.

Yes Princess Diane, I am genuinely troubled by idiot progressive liberals with supposedly educations and degrees ruining our country. The Obama kiss asses and such. And School Board Members wanting to tax the hell out of us, so they can build a brand new gymnasium for their dear poor little children.

Yes Diane, I am genuinely troubled by idiots from Delaware that have no clue about what goes on in Elk County except from some cowardly spy er informant, and has you spouting off for them. We experienced the very same activity when we had Elk Konnected Kounty Kommissioners.

Why are you letting your self be someone from Elk County, Kansas - patsy?
Why do you allow yourself to be USED in such a fashion?
Yes, Diane that kind of politics troubles me greatly.
You have my sincerest sympathy.

He would be lousy on the ambulance, where  life threatning emergencies can be complicated by the overdoing of sympathy. It can cause loss of concentration and consequent loss of the ability to function properly and do ones job.

You have no way of knowing that, Diane?
I served aboard Navy Air Craft Carriers and my main job during actual and drill casualties was to take control and I was a very proud sailor who worked hard and drilled hard and dealt with casualties with precision. But Diane that has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Stop cornfusing the real subject, please.

There is a lot of difference between caring for a child's broken wrist or caring for a person who just lost both legs from being hit by a car, or taking a SIDS baby from a parent's arms. Sometimes one has to turn off the sympathy and be objective or the person could die. We must also never let our own history enter into the situation. Bypass the compassion for now and start the CPR!

I dare say, I don't think we have to worry about any kind of compassion or understanding from you Diane.

Because the attitude and lack of compassion for and about the underprivileged children's parents, which is what I was referring to care to remember! Not the twisted wording and omission of other words. You do understand Diane that twisting words and changing statements by omission of words is a form of lying, don't you?

Lets review the remark you made that I was referring to and you turn it to EMT work, Okay, OK!

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 16, 2014, 01:47:43 PM
Kids who are supposed to go to school and don't, don't get an education. Truancy laws are different from state to state. In Maryland the teachers were not allowed to go seek out the missing children. That was the principal's job. How does a teacher get to know a child they rarely ever seeand is always weeks behind the other kids?
By the way, the term "at risk" is as old as I am and has nothing to do with EK. The parents of at risk kids, who are failing a subject or grade, have been sent warning notices about it several times a year for many, many years. You must be desperate to try and connect that to EK or anything else. I give up.Go insult some one else for awhile.

No compassion, no comprehension, no understanding about the poor and struggling parents. The parent might lose their low paying job and then not be able to feed their child, or the parent might suffer from serious medical problems. But tough shit, huh?

How does this help a parent or a child? :

Quote from: ROSS on June 17, 2014, 09:05:31 AM

Naked Holding Cells and Debtor's Prison:
The Latest Injustices For Women
in the Prison System
by Robin Marty
June 16, 2014

Now, we are moving further towards putting people in jail simply for being poor. We may not officially have debtor's prisons yet, but every day we are getting a step closer. This week, the Associated Press reports that a Pennsylvania mother serving a two day jail sentence has died while still in prison. Her crime? Her children hadn't always gone to school, and she had been fined $2000 in courts costs related to that fact.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/naked-holding-cells-and-debtors-prison-the-latest-injustices-for-women-in-the-prison-system.html#ixzz34uEryvTj

And Diane this solution for all of the children in the inner-city schools that you have:

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 17, 2014, 07:49:53 AM
Improvements must be made ...or eliminate the tough inner city schools from the surveys.They skew everything 'way down.

That is just amazing compassion for the children that want to learn. I applaud you. Amazing!

See the conversation had absolutely nothing about your lack of compassion in the meat wagon.

Oh, by the way Ross, since I'm sure you will read this.

Of course darling because you are so much fun and I love communicating with you. You are my inspiration.

Delaware State EMT instructors must be either Nationally Certified EMTs, Paramedics, Emergency Nurses, or Medical Doctors. 

Oh, let me repeat, I don't care? I don't live in Delaware, I live in Kansas?
And Delaware State EMT is not a political subject to my knowledge.

But of course, since Ross knows "something" he knows all. I still don't know what "organizations", he was frantic about, nor what it had to do with me.

Oh /Diane it was you that said you were a member of some rinky dink organization and you were raising funds and how important you are.

Where do you get off saying I was frantic?
Were you offended, that I said, I did not need to be a member of some organization?
Were you offended, that I said, some people have a need to belong,
I believe some people need the structure of an organization and their rules to be able to survive. And I am entitled to my opinion, ain't I? LOL

He is apparently one unhappy dude with no sunshine in his life.

How dumb and belligerent can you be Diane!
Is that a degree in stupidity that you possess?
Please keep reading.

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
But you are as looney as you can be, when it comes to politics especially in Elk County, Kansas from way up there in Delaware. (almost poetry in action isn't it?) From way up there in Delaware! Almost lyrics of a song, kinda catchy ain't it?

Your spy er informant in Elk County is too cowardly to partake personally and openly which does make them a coward. I am sorry but someone had to let you know. You are not privy to all the information. I doubt you have even followed the posted links to my Box.com site with tons of documentation and information posted. Moving on!

I'm high and it's not on drugs, but high on life.

What are you smokin' these days, have you visited Colorado lately? LOL

I enjoy the greatest of lifestyles and it ain't in no heavily populated suburb in Delaware.
Delaware with a population density of 442.6 people per square mile
Kansas with a population per sq mile is 192.6 sweet!!!!!
And Elk County, Kansas with a population density of 4.5 people per sq mile.
My home has a population of 1 person per 20 acres. The very best Quality of life, though some people do not comprehend the meaning of the term.

It is great and I am very happy which has nothing to do with the politics of overtaxation and ignorant people of the progressive liberal mind set of deeper in debt and have college degrees to back it up.
Do you comprehend the difference?
Get a grip and come down to earth!

Ross, why don't you sign up for a local CERT class. I think you would enjoy it and it really has redeeming qualities. Back to the upstairs.

Really ! Not an interest of mine, simple. I have numerous training classes in first aid and CPR and Firefighting. But what has that to do with politics or educational standards?

Quote from: Diane Amberg on June 19, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
Of course there are educated people who are well "book learned" and still haven't a lick of sense.

Oh Diane my heart pups purple panther piss over the above statement by you.
How sweet of you, no kidding!

See what I mean, about you being so much fun?

I suppose, I could apologize for being so truthful and honest, but I won't because that is who I am.
Although I do apologize for angering you.

Until next time Diane bye-bye.

Ross

I hope the liberals out there understand this.
Yes it even happens in other countries.
It takes family not a village to raise a child.
To say it takes a village is tantmount to saying we need Socialiam and Communisum!
Are you an American Patriot or not?

Ross

(Don't these complaints sound a whole lot like Obama CommonCore?
Emphasis is mine.)

Life
Education & Schools
Public Schools

Teachers are rebelling all over the U.S.
Why Not in Los Angeles?

June 29, 2014

Teachers are rebelling against testing and against the tracking of students.

Teachers are rebelling against test scores being the main part of their evaluations.

Parents are also rebelling and opting out of testing.

Teachers are rebelling because there is no time for review or mastery of the skills.

Teachers are rebelling because testing takes time—oh so much time—from instruction.

LAUSD teachers and parents should be rebelling because senior teachers are being put in teacher jails. When they are close to retirement, near or at the top of the payroll, and if they stand up and fight especially against their schools' administration, teachers are candidates for incarceration.

They are told to report to jail, not told the reasons, and are forced to sit there while their classes are taught by low paid, inexperienced teachers, who many times are substitutes.

The whole idea is to make the teachers' lives so miserable that they give up and quit therefore saving LAUSD retirement benefits.

Every teacher, student, and parent in LAUSD should be rebelling against the district, the school board, the superintendent and his masters.

(this not only happens to teachers, it happens in many occupations)

Every single day LAUSD teachers are forced to do things that are unconscionable to them:

Proceeding to the next skill when the students have not mastered the current one.

Socially promoting students who are not ready for the next grade.

Graduating students from high school who are on elementary levels.

Giving test after test knowing it is a gross waste of time and money.

Not being able to teach all the subjects that they are supposed to teach since the only ones considered important are those tested.

Not having time for remediation, review, enrichment or challenge.

Using textbooks that do not have enough practice and that teach the skills improperly.

No longer being able to inoculate the love of learning and the joy of reading into the students.

Not making education fun as it was in so many ways before they had to teach to the test.

Being forced to accept disruptive secondary students back into the classroom as the school's administration will not provide assistance.

Going along with decisions made by downtown bureaucrats, superintendents, school board members, state bureaucrats, and publishers, while teachers are never consulted.

Allowing the wealthiest people in the country and their foundations to influence public education in ways that are totally wrong. (Don't they mean the so-called elite?)

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-are-rebelling-all-over-the-u-s-why-not-los-angeles

Ross

Are Schools
Teaching Kids
the Right Skills?
by Beth Buczynski
June 29, 2014
5:00 am

My brother is about to enter his last year of college, and I'm terrified for him. Today's job market is a wild and unpredictable place (a lesson I learned the hard way). Gone are the 40-year jobs with good pensions that gave our parents and grandparents so much security. Permanent jobs with benefits are hard to come by, and even if you're lucky enough to land one, there's a good chance you won't stay longer than a few years.

What triggered this change? Well, a crappy economy brought on by predatory lenders, greedy corporations and devil-may-care Wall Street jockeys, for starters. An equally crappy education system didn't help.

See, a strong, well-prepared workforce starts long before little Johnny or Jan submits that college application. The foundation for success (or failure) is laid in grade school. These early years are when tomorrow's workers begin preparations for their eventual career, not only learning "reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic," but also the basics of how to learn–something that is vital for life in a world powered by rapidly changing technology.

Unfortunately, schools at every level are failing kids on both accounts.

Half of the employers surveyed in a 2013 study by The Chronicle and American Public Media's Marketplace "said they had trouble finding recent graduates qualified to fill positions at their company or organization. Nearly a third gave colleges just fair to poor marks for producing successful employees. And they dinged bachelor's-degree holders for lacking basic workplace proficiencies, like adaptability, communication skills, and the ability to solve complex problems."

"Woefully unprepared" is how the owner of one Northern Virginia technology consulting company put it.

In a 2014 survey by Gallup just 14 percent of Americans—and only 11 percent of business leaders—strongly agreed that graduates have the necessary skills and competencies to succeed in the workplace.

So, not only are we doing a bad job of teaching children the basics, we're also failing to provide the other skills they need to land the jobs of the future. And what are those skills, you ask? Scroll through the infographic below for a list of the top 10 (hint: they're not things that can be assessed with a standardized test).

Tell us: What are you doing to make sure your child gains these skills?

http://www.care2.com/causes/are-schools-teaching-kids-the-right-skills.html

Ross

Common Core Becomes a Nightmare

by Phyllis Schlafly
July 9, 2014

Americans are waking up to how bad Common Core really is for education, but its nightmare does not go away quickly. Liberal education bureaucrats ("educrats") are now trying to enforce Common Core through the courts, with one lawsuit already filed in Oklahoma, and another likely in Louisiana.

In both states the governors tried to get rid of Common Core, but parents are shocked that it may return by court order as unelected educrats claim they have more power than the state legislature and the governor combined. The Oklahoma legislature approved a law to repeal Common Core and the governor signed it, but now its state board of education has filed a lawsuit to bring it back.

The Washington Post has revealed how Bill Gates used his non-profit foundation to spend hundreds of millions of dollars behind the scenes to force this disaster on the American people. The Gates Foundation doled out a fortune to various education groups, to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and to teachers unions to force Common Core on all students.

A group that received nearly $2 million from the Gates Foundation to help implement Common Core, the National Association of State Boards of Education (NASBE), is the same organization behind the lawsuit to reinstate Common Core in Oklahoma. Joining this effort is a member of the state board of education, which is not elected by the people.

The NASBE is a private group, unaccountable to the public, which received $1,077,960 from the Gates Foundation in 2011 "to build the capacity of State Boards of Education to better position them to achieve full implementation of the Common Core standards." About two years later the NASBE received another $800,000 "to provide training and information to implement Common Core State Standards" and to help develop it, too.

The lawsuit, which claims that the state constitution does not permit the legislature and governor to repeal Common Core, was filed directly in the Oklahoma supreme court, and there will be no appeal from whatever that court decides. The people of Oklahoma are apparently at the mercy of an unelected state board and its liberal state supreme court, and the U.S. Supreme Court will not get involved in this issue of state law.

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin signed the bill to repeal Common Core a few weeks before her primary, which she then won in a landslide. But why isn't she or the legislature doing anything to remove from office the members of the state board of education who refuse to implement the repeal of Common Core?

A similar fiasco is shaping up in Louisiana, where Governor Bobby Jindal has courageously stopped Common Core. Or at least so everyone thought, until the educrats there began planning a lawsuit to defy the governor and impose it anyway.

The Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education voted 6-3 to "lawyer up," as Breitbart.com put it, in order to sue its own governor for withdrawing Louisiana from both Common Core and the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC), which controls the testing to implement Common Core.

Governor Jindal pointed out that the state board did not seek competitive bids on the expensive tests for the schools, as is generally required by state law on most contracts in order to save the state as much money as possible. Both the Louisiana state superintendent and the president of its state board of education defiantly predicted that Louisiana would remain in Common Core and its testing for the 2014-2015 school year.

The Obama Administration has reportedly already poured $370 million into developing tests to be forced on the states. But many of the biggest states, including heavily Democratic states such as New York, are reconsidering their participation in the federally funded tests.

New Jersey is now considering pulling out of Common Core, with Governor Chris Christie facing a dilemma that may determine whether he is a viable presidential candidate. Does he stand up for local control over education by stopping Common Core in his state, as Governor Jindal has done in Louisiana, or does Christie try to play both sides of the issue?

Meanwhile, parents in areas already implementing Common Core are discovering that they are unable to help their children solve elementary arithmetic problems. Bizarre, tedious and convoluted methods of teaching children basic arithmetic are causing parents to search on the internet for answers, and some of these parents are turning to homeschooling to escape the madness.

But even homeschooling may not help, if colleges all convert to the new testing standards based on Common Core guidelines. The tests are what drive curricula, and homeschool curricula will need to adapt to the new tests in order for the students to be admitted to college.

http://www.eagleforum.org/publications/column/common-core-becomes-a-nightmare.html

Ross

Listen how this guy explains entrepreneurship, what it really is and the morales behind it.

But more importantly listen to hear him say that only 18% of the children in the eight grade in our Nations capital read at grade level. Then tell me the teachers and the educational system doesn't need improvement, that they can not accept there is room for improvement.

I seriously don't believe Federal Government and Corporate control through Common Core is the answer.
Do you?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk