Author Topic: Shotgun Help Needed  (Read 16449 times)

The Arapaho Kid

Shotgun Help Needed
« on: October 21, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
Folks....I need some input on this.  My shotgun is a Baikal and on a shotgun stage I can burn up a lot of time reloading etc.  The proceedure now is:  Fire, break open, extract the spent rounds by hand, reload, close, throw off the automatic safety, cock the hammers back then fire again. 

First I need to get that auto safety unhooked.  That's a must!  There have been times when I got ready to shoot and the durned thing was still on.

Secondly....when I break it open after firing the spent rounds won't just dump out.  The extractor backs them up ehough to where I can pull them out by hand, but this takes time.  Is there anything I can do with that gun to where the spent rounds will dump out?  Maybe have the chambers reamed out a tiny bit?

Next:  Would I save any time by getting a shotgun that didn't have hammers?  If so....what would I want to be looking for?  And....Is a hammerless shotgun period correct?

I have the kick problem under control now and it doesn't beat my shoulder to hamburger anymore.  Now I have these problems to address.

Lemme know on this!   Thanks!

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shotgun Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 12:53:28 PM »
Yep.  Disengage the safety.

Get ya a 12 bore swab, chuck it in a hand-held drill, smear polishing compound on it (some people use toothpaste).  Polish those chambers with a steady, even in-out motion.  The empties will fall out like they're skeerd. 

Hammerless SxS will be quicker than hammered.  They're "period".

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 12:54:27 PM »
You can have the chambers of your shotgun polished so that a quick jerk backwards will get rid of the shells.

Getting rid of the external hammers will save you a ton of time.

Say Arap...sounds as though you're starting to get serious about this shooting stuff.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:25:54 PM »

Offline Stump Water

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »
Beat ya Cammie!   ;D  :-*

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 12:58:01 PM »
But, mule-ears are more fun.  :D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
Another thing Rap, even if you polish like they said, if you're shooting Holy Black you might need to clean the chambers during a lunch break with Ballistol and a swab so the powder residue doesn't muck up the easy shell extraction.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »
You can have the chambers of your shotgun polished so that a quick jerk backwards will get rid of the shells.

Getting rid of the external hammers will save you a ton of time.

Say Arap...sounds as though you're starting to get serious about this shooting stuff.

I would like to get totally serious about shooting, but I have just one small problem.  I work weekends.  not occasionally.....every durned weekend!  i can request weekends off and get them, but my manager would probably have a cow if I requested one off every month to shoot.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 01:07:57 PM »

Get ya a 12 bore swab, chuck it in a hand-held drill, smear polishing compound on it (some people use toothpaste).  Polish those chambers with a steady, even in-out motion.  The empties will fall out like they're skeerd. 

Stump:  When you say "bore swab" you mean something other than one of those copper wire brushes...right?  Something cloth like that I can smear polishing compound on?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 01:13:49 PM »

Bore mop

This one is available from Cabela's, but yer local "toy" store should have them.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Stump Water

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »
Slim's got it Arapaho.  That's pre-zackly what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Thanks Slim... again.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 05:07:16 PM »
Tend ta be a bit more aggressive myownself.  The heavy duty automotive rubbing compound.  Gop up a patch with it real good then wrap it 'round a brass brush.  Chuck that up in a drill 'n go at it.

'Nother thing what don't hurt is waxin' the shells.  Set 'em up, spray 'em with Pledge 'er sumthin' like it. Give it awhile ta set then polish 'em up with a paper towel.  Makes 'em real pretty 'n slick.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 05:41:43 PM »
A ball hone works really well for polishing the chambers, too. I used one in my double. It now shucks the shells easily.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Stump Water

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 06:21:59 PM »
'Nother thing what don't hurt is waxin' the shells.  Set 'em up, spray 'em with Pledge 'er sumthin' like it. Give it awhile ta set then polish 'em up with a paper towel.  Makes 'em real pretty 'n slick.

Dang Arcey, next thing yer gonna tell is that ya break out tha Brasso an' an ol' cotton sock an' shine yer boolits. ;)

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »

stump, I have as rap just bought Anew rem. spartin w/mule ears and my snap caps are sticky so I know live ammo
is gunna be worst. if you use rubben compound, let me know how it works or tooth paste or whatever ::) also anybody know how to disconnect that safety. thanks
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 06:50:27 PM »
 I was told Armor All on the shells works well also was going to try it this weekend,

What kind of toothpaste?
Mathew 5.9

Offline blue drifter

• semper fi blue drifter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »
Folks....I need some input on this.  My shotgun is a Baikal and on a shotgun stage I can burn up a lot of time reloading etc.  The proceedure now is:  Fire, break open, extract the spent rounds by hand, reload, close, throw off the automatic safety, cock the hammers back then fire again. 

First I need to get that auto safety unhooked.  That's a must!  There have been times when I got ready to shoot and the durned thing was still on.

Secondly....when I break it open after firing the spent rounds won't just dump out.  The extractor backs them up ehough to where I can pull them out by hand, but this takes time.  Is there anything I can do with that gun to where the spent rounds will dump out?  Maybe have the chambers reamed out a tiny bit?

Next:  Would I save any time by getting a shotgun that didn't have hammers?  If so....what would I want to be looking for?  And....Is a hammerless shotgun period correct?

I have the kick problem under control now and it doesn't beat my shoulder to hamburger anymore.  Now I have these problems to address.

Lemme know on this!   Thanks!
rap your right!! no matter how fast you are your not gunna beat A pump. we just have so much more to do.we have to break, load, cock, disengage safety, shoot. we can't have ejectors, but A pump will dump mt's 3 feet away,load and shoot
there must be A way to level the playen field. Maybe the wild bunch will see this?? :o
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 07:31:03 PM »
Dang Arcey, next thing yer gonna tell is that ya break out tha Brasso an' an ol' cotton sock an' shine yer boolits. ;)

Don't everybody?

Rooster, I uses ArmorAll by the gallon on my truck.  Tried it when I run outtah furniture polish.  Didn't werk as well fer me.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Stump Water

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 07:42:21 PM »
What kind of toothpaste?

I've heer'd any ol' toothpaste.  But iff'n Iz a'doin' it it'd prolly be some what had bakin' sody in it. :D

Offline Stump Water

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 07:45:37 PM »

Don't everybody?

Uhhhh....

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 07:54:55 PM »
Thanks Arcey/Stump...I think I have some polishing compound around here...Ain't much into waxing the furniture though, If I do it's with a oil, not spray
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com