Author Topic: After Action report: Lenoir-Gunpowder Creek regulators  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
After Action report: Lenoir-Gunpowder Creek regulators
« on: July 17, 2005, 01:51:34 PM »
Beg to report, engaged 52 targets in 6 stages at the above match 16 july.  One FTF, operator induced. Cleared round and continued on.  All rounds ejected positivly.  No misses.  Am well pleased with the weapon.  As the lone Spencer among 70 combatents, achieved a great deal of personal attention.  Great fun.

Drydock
Taylors Spencer-.45 S&W.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: After Action report: Lenoir-Gunpowder Creek regulators
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 04:31:15 AM »
Drydock,

The Spencer is great fun and a curiosity for others to look at and handle.  I was wondering about the .45 Schofield rounds you shoot.  Who is the maker or do you load your own, and how many grains in your cartridges?  Have you fired different grain loads, yet? 

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »
Now that was the really interesting thing, and I should have stated this in the first entry.  I have just returned from the Middle East after 2 years, retiring from the USN after 20 years.  Bought the Spencer as a retirement gift to myself.  On my way home to Missouri from Norfolk VA., was invited to the above match in NC.  Had no ammunition for the gun,  so 2 fellas offered me their rounds.  These were about evenly devided between 180 grain Black Hills factory loads, and both 200 and 230 grain hand loads.  The Spencer cycled all 3 loads no problem, including a few magazines in which I deliberatly mixed all 3.  Figgered it would be a good test.  I was impressed, as were many in my posse. 

Surprising in that the gun has a relativly low number, under 500.  I suspect, just IMHO, perhaps Taylors/Armi Sport may have shipped a number of relativly rough preproduction prototypes, perhaps numbered in the first 100, and these were responsible for the feeding troubles reported.  Certianly mine is a fine piece of engineering.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:19 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com