Author Topic: 45 short colt????  (Read 9508 times)

Offline Gassaway

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45 short colt????
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »
Just a curiosity. I was looking thru sportsmans guide they have in stock Fiochi 45 short colt? is this the schofield round or a different animal??

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: 45 short colt????
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:36:36 PM »
There never was an official 45 Short Colt or a 45 Long Colt. The US Government re-designated the specs for the 45 Colt round in 1878 and all government contract 45 Colt rounds had a 1.1" case length, exactly like the Schofield round. There were not Schofield rounds, though. The shorter ones were still called 45 Colt and it was the civilian market that brought about the use of "Long" to describe the longer ones. I suspect the reason for the change was so the 45 Colt round could fit in a Schofield pistol if need be. To answer your question, I've never heard of a Fiochi 45 Short Colt. Here's a picture showing originals of the long 45 Colt and the shorter 45 Colt Government rounds I found online a while back in an article about them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:34 AM »
It's 450 Short Colt, a British chambering of the 19th century.  ;)

http://www.fiocchiusa.com/cat_centerfire.html

http://www.oldammo.com/october04.htm

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:08:34 AM »

Offline Gassaway

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:02:11 AM »
now for the million dollar question can they be fired in a 45lc or schfield chamber? I would assume so but not positive.  brits loved those short fat rounds back then humm. looks like another bulldog chambering.  It just got me curious since ther $20 for 50 rounds

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
now for the million dollar question can they be fired in a 45lc or schfield chamber?...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.450_Adams

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »
now for the million dollar question can they be fired in a 45lc or schfield chamber? I would assume so but not positive.  brits loved those short fat rounds back then humm. looks like another bulldog chambering.  It just got me curious since ther $20 for 50 rounds

Let me guess.  They might be .450 ADAMS.  Fiocchi calls it .450 CORTO.  It is the same circumference as .455 Webley, and fits the Webley chamber.  THEY WILL ALSO CHAMBER IN .45 COLT/SCHOFIELD.

You might find the rims thinner, at about .035"  AND WILL GIVE EXCESSIVE HEADSPACE IN .45 COLT CHAMBERS.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »
Marshal - are those rimfire cases?

Howdy, Pard!

No, those are military, inside-primed "copper" (actually gilding metal) cases, as witness the stab crimps near the base.  The crimps hold in the Martin bar or Benet cup centerfire primers.  If you look at the head of the case from the back end, it looks like it's rimfire, but it isn't!  The military used the same type of construction on the .50-70 and .45-55/70 Gov't ammo produced by the military arsenals.  It wasn't until about 1883 or so that drawn brass ammo was adopted by the Army and outside primers were adopted.  Of course, commercial brass-cased ammo with external primers was available about 1873.

The inside primed, copper-cased ammo was supposed to be more waterproof...and maybe it was...but the soft cases expanded and when the chamber fouled with black powder residue the fired cases tended to stick!  This was more of a problem with the rifles than with the pistols as the fired cases were pushed out of the Colt's and if necessary you could pry the fired rounds from a Schofield pistol.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »
Thanks for beating me to it, Trailrider. That was a better explanation than I would have given.  :D

Offline Coyote Hunter

• Saddlebag Preacher
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I only have two cheeks....
    • The Saddlebag Preacher
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »
Hey Marshal Will....

How many Grains of BP were in those Gov't rounds. I have some empty schoffield cases I'd like to make up for my 7th Cav Cimarron and see how they shoot.  ;D

CH
"The Lord Is My Shepherd, The Bible is my guide, My horse is my partner, Mr. Remrington's on my side."

Member of the American Frontier Reenactment Guild
SixGuns Entertainment, Inc. www.sixgunsonline.com
T & L Ministries as the Circuit Rider Bro. Beauregard http://saddlebagpreacher.blogspot.com

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
How many Grains of BP were in those Gov't rounds. I have some empty schoffield cases I'd like to make up for my 7th Cav Cimarron and see how they shoot.  ;D

I've been loading mine using Schofield data. They not only work but they're more accurate in my pistols (Rem conversions). The originals took about 28 gr of BP. Here's an article on them that will help.

http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLongShort45Colt.htm

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
I shoot the Fiocchi  450 Colt rounds out of my 45 Colt and then reload them with BP for my Mk4 Webley.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com