Author Topic: uberti single action cattleman revolvers??  (Read 6112 times)

Offline THE KID

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
uberti single action cattleman revolvers??
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:36:33 AM »
i really want a pair of .357/.38 special uberti cattleman revolvers...............are they quality revolvers.......i have a ruger vaquero can it compare with that..........the .45 has just got to exspensive for a 15 year old boy to just shoot around on the ranch...........is it bad just to shoot .38 special rounds out of a .357 mag................357 is 40 dollars a box to just like 45 colt so thats why i want to shoot 38 special becuase its only 12.00-14.00 dollars a box...........but anyway show me pics of your uberti single actions...........does anyone have a 7.5" 357/38 special with case coloring with a brass triggerguard id like to see how it looks

Offline Excalibur

• Citizen
  • Shoot'em if ya got'em
  • Liked:
Re: uberti single action cattleman revolvers??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
I have Uberti's, Ruger is much better. Save your money on the guns to buy reloading equipment. You will be able to reload 45's for under $7 a box

Offline Skinny Preacher 66418

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »
I have Uberti's, Ruger is much better. Save your money on the guns to buy reloading equipment. You will be able to reload 45's for under $7 a box

yo tambien
Smoke em if ya got em.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:50:41 PM »

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
Howdy

It's a bit unfair to make a blanket statement like Rugers are much better than Ubertis, without a bit of explanation. What should really be said is that Rugers are much different than Ubertis. 'Better' is in the eye of the beholder. You are really comparing apples and oranges when you make such a statement.

Ubertis pretty faithfully follow the original design of the Colt Single Action Army, a design that is 125 years old. As a matter of fact, some elements of the design go even farther back, to the 1836 Colt Paterson. When Bill Ruger designed his first single action revolvers in the 1950s he had the tremendous advantage of new technologies and manufacturing techniques that did not exist in the 1800s. One major difference is coil springs. All the springs in a Ruger are coil springs. Coil springs are virtually unbreakable. Colts and Ubertis use flat leaf springs. When a Colt or a Uberti goes out of commission, it is often because a spring has broken. Ruger springs don't break, but the price for that is that Rugers have more parts inside than a Colt or Uberti. Every spring inside a Ruger has a plunger associated with it to make it work. More parts means more complicated assembly and dissassembly. Ask a Ruger ownere and a Colt owner how difficult it is to take their guns apart or put them back together again. Colts are simpler, there are fewer parts, and they are much easier to take apart and put back together again than a Ruger is.

Because Ruger used more modern technologies to make his revolvers he was able to make many of the interior parts simpler. The bolt is the most complicated part inside a Colt or Uberti. It has a complex geometery that is intricate to produce, in fact it is a fancy spring because one leg has to bend and spring back every time the hammer cycles, and the bolt of a Colt or Uberti generally has to be custom fit to the gun. Complicated, expensive, and needs custom fitting. The analagous part in a Ruger is a cheap stamping. It probably costs about 5 cents to make it, and it pops right into the gun with no fitting at all. This is all possible because the Ruger had techology available to him that did not exist in the 1800s.

There are more differences between an Uberti and a Ruger, I just wanted to name a few. The older technology of the Uberti design is what makes it desireable to many shooters. Yes, it is not as rugged as a Ruger and may break down or wear sooner. But one is not better than the other, one is just older technology.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »

Driftwood Johnson, you always manage to get a handle on the subject, ( Well said Pard )

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
I picked up a pair of Uberti Cattlemans in 38/357  4 3/4 bbl's a while back, my girlfriend shoots them as her main match guns they are smooth, and shoot point of aim.  I only changed the springs, they are a solid gun and available for reasonable prices. JB
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline Reverend Sayer Prayers

• Forgivness is for God, I'm here to Dispense Justice
  • Citizen
  • SASS 64327
    • Reverend Sayer Prayers Cowboy Acton Shooting Hide Out
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:57:35 PM »
I shoot Uberti Cattlemen, with the Taylor's name on them.  My wife shoots Ruger New Vaqueros.  Mine are faster.  Her's may last longer.  Who knows?  Both are great guns.  Buy what you want and enjoy shooting them.
Keep the Sun at Your Back and Your Powder Dry,

Reverend Sayer Prayers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com