Author Topic: Cartridge loops - a How-to  (Read 87455 times)

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cartridge loops - a How-to
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »
I then lay out my loops...I use 5/8 space for 44/45's..  On this slide it will hold 6 rounds so to keep things even I will do the math acounting for the 1/8 lost from the width of the punch...

so we have a 4 1/2"slide width= 5/8/1st loop/*/*/*/*/6th/ 3/4.. you can see that as the slots are punch it will all be to one side of the line so that on the last loop the 1/8 will be remove for the 3/4 to cause there to be an even 5/8 on either side fot the rivits.. much harder to explain... ;D

I use to connect the dots so that I had a good straight line to put my punc against but now I usually do not.. except on 45-70 Quigley belts where the punch used is a 1 1/4x1/4"

Add you loop leather and stitch/lace/Chicago/or rivet it in place... on some things like Quiglies and rifle slings with loops I add an extra slot so the the loop end will be to the outside..(see Quigly..last pic)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
I now pull my loops .. on this one it is a full weave... on the half weave you would have two slots for each..

Full weave problems... the loops loosen as the belt is bent and tighten as it is straightened..This style just will not work for me on my rifle slings... but is does work great on shell slides and and belts as long as the loops are formed while you curve the belt... (and if the customer understands to load it with cartridges while the belt is curved and never smash it flat with cartridges in the loops. :-\

I have found that .025 is a good number for forming the loops a little small.. so for 44/45's I use a 41mag to form the loops. For 38's I have some aluminum arrow shaft of the proper (smaller) dia.

Be warned here ...you will hear all the timne from guys that think you can soak your loops and when it dryes it will shrink... Wel yes&no.. you have to consider that the leather will be thicker when wet so as it drys it can acctually loosen(make larger) the loop holes.

For heavy cartridge belts I now much prefur to make a sheild of loops  and then stitch it on the belt.. this really looks nice and it doesn't cut a hole bunch of holes in the belt.. that and my belts can sometimes aproach 5/16-3/8 in thickness..which is not fun to punch slots in.. ;D

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
and now some completed stuf with loops :D

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 07:06:55 PM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »
Freedom, I will be greatly surprised if this thread doesn't get the "Sticky" treatment. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the effort it took to document this process. It's going to take me some time to absorb all of this.

I can think of several questions but for now I'll just ask one. The last picture you posted of the completed belts (very nice by the way) the top one has the loops in an added strip: how are those loops anchored down? Are they sewn down when you sew the strip onto the belt?

Now I'm going to take what you've done here and download it onto my computer so I will have it for future reference.

Thanks again Wes, very nice work, Jeff   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
JD,

If you look real close you will notice that all of the samples use rivets to secure the loops

Freedom...very nice indeed.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
yep, they are rivited.. I do stitch some of them depending on the apliction,.. I really like the Chicago idea that Ned shared earlier.

One way that I really like, especially on my quigley belts is to Lace the loop ends with heavy alum tan flat lace with a 3 hole pattern.. kind of like the back latigo billet on a saddle.

Offline MontanaSlick

• Like minded lover of the Old West
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
Thanks for the eyes on demo's and instructions, yer one of the best of the best.
I've learned a lot here and do appreciate yer time and talent.

I have always stayed away from the loops as the belts get too heavy for my line of business

I did make an ammo belt for my Sidekick and it turned out okay for my first one, Ima stitch and sew fan, by hand.

Thanks again Freedom

MS

C. Screws are cool, just dunt glue the threads. BTDT ::)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
Freedom , great project.  I especially liked the way you added the loops top the holsters loop, this is much better than sewing them on the holster body.  I look forward to your doing more like this as I am an old thief at heart!

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
  Thanks a bunch Freedom. You have given me that liittle shove that I needed to try some loops on my next belt. And that is some very nice looking work there also.

JD, once again I need to say thanks to you for asking a great question.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

Howdy Freedom

Very nice tutorial, and well explained, we'll have to see about adding this to our Fax/How too's

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it will be appreciated my all

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Wiley Desperado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 08:28:18 PM »
Thanks Freedom I learned several new techniques from your tutorial your time to do this is much appreciated.

Wiley

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »
Outrider, thanks for your eagle eye. I did not notice that fact.

Gun Butcher, to paraphrase Forest Gump “Ignorant is as Ignorant does”

There isn’t a better place to ask questions than this place, what with all the knowledgeable guys who are so willing to share their expertise with rookie like me. I always want to be sure they know much I appreciate it. JD     

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 07:59:51 PM »
  I completely agree JD. My problem seems to be asking the right questions ??? ::)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline MontanaSlick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »
No matter how old I get, I still ask dumb questions and get good to excelent answers.

Thanks Pards,

Rookie ol Timer Slick ;D

Offline MontanaSlick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
Thanks Pards, Being my first rig it just can't be replaced, but then........

I like my black beauty too.
Tawked too much on the phone last night, all night wid my Sidekick down in Gator Country.
I didn't get the mate done on the second holster. I think it's going to be a fairly good match color wise  like did I use 2 coats er 3?

Hope to have it posted this week end.

Thanks

MS

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2010, 01:56:49 PM »
Yes Skeeter, we are nuts :P
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »

Y'all were tallking about making individual stitches for each side of the bullet loop ....

As an old retired medic, I have found that Surgeon's work great ... I mean, this knot was designed to hold flesh together in stitches, and what is leather but dead flesh?

There is a good pic on this page;  I usually lock it with another overhand to make sure it won't come undone ....

http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Surgeon.html
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2011, 03:37:02 AM »
Good info.....

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Where does one get a smaller piece of 4/5 oz leather?

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2011, 05:45:37 AM »
Where does one get a smaller piece of 4/5 oz leather?

Tandy/LF sells 4/5 oz veg tan single shoulders - they avg about 6-7 sq ft...........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com