Author Topic: .22 LR Black Powder ...... 58 rounds no cleaning  (Read 7451 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.22 LR Black Powder ...... 58 rounds no cleaning
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »
I spent a delightful few days with John Boy at the Ridgway Rifle club recently. One of the tests on the agenda was to do some more .22 LR BP shooting. After having shot 50 rounds of 3 different recipies (4.5 Swiss 4F, 4.5 Swiss Null B and 5.0 Swiss 4F) on Cowboy Silhouettes & other targets with no cleaning nor blowtubing, I fired rounds 51-58 (last of the cartridges) using 4.5/ Swiss Null B on this target to see if the fouling from the previous 50 rounds was having an affect on accuracy.
It didn't.  ;D   

The bullet I was using was from an older 225438 mold sized .225" lubed with SPG. Humidity was in the 60% range.

Accuracy was about as good as the 1948 vintage 39A with a tang sight will do with target .22 ammunition and my 67 year old eyes.

FUN, FUN, FUN ;D

It cleaned up pretty fast....

Next I will see how they shoot at 100 yards.....hopefully sometime next week.....

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: .22 LR Black Powder ...... 58 rounds no cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »
I almost wet myself when I read about this! FASCINATING!!!  :o

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
So... how do you reload .22 rimfire? Would love to see photos of the process if'n ya got'em.

Swede

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:43 PM »

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »
So... how do you reload .22 rimfire? Would love to see photos of the process if'n ya got'em.

Swede

Hey Swede,

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=8325.msg58951#msg58951

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
Swede, an alternate procedure ...
* Loading Block:  A scrap piece of Trex Decking Plank.  It produces perfectly drilled holes with no splinters. Use a numbered drill and a drill press to to produce a 50 case loading block.  Be sure to drill the holes less than a 1/4 of the length of the case.  Them little buggers are hard to 'maneuver' when there are 50 charged cases stacked up next to each other with a powder charge up to the lips without spilling any
* Mold:  We have on order a custom schematic of the original UMC 40gr bullet, single or double cavity.  Caution, David Mos Molds is currently out side the delivery time frame.  The mold is KT22LR.  The 225-438 Lyman is also a good bullet to use
* Empty Primed Cases:  Are not in anyone's inventory available for sale.  Therefore, have to pull the heads on available 22 LR and use the cases
* Expander Die:  The Lee Universal Expander Die set works perfectly - small plug first
* Powder:  w44cf is using Swiss FFFFg.  Another good powder would be the Swiss Null B.  Presently, I am using an old DuPont FFFFg that I screened to 50 mesh
* Powder Charger:  I use the Lee perfect Powder Measure.  It will accurately drop a 4 or 4.5gr charge.  I use a MTM Funnel Adapter #1 with the primed case inserted and positioned under the charger drop tube.  The powder goes into the case with no spillage
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=MTAF5
* Seating Die:  Another roadblock.  CH4D made a small run about 5 years ago.  I got the last one plus shell plate that they had in the shop.  The die compresses the powder nicely and puts a loose taper crimp on the case but not a complete hard crimp.  With enough interest, am sure CH4D would make another run of the seating die and shell holder.  Plan C- custom ream a blank die
* Crimping Die:  The Lyman 225 H&I die.  Use any FP top punch - invert loaded round into the die nose down to crimp the case.  I put a small wad of aluminum foil on top of the H&I plug to preclude the bullet nose from being flattened

One can mix and match w44wcf's loading procedure with the way I am doing it.  The biggest issue presently is a source for empty primed cases
........ That's It Folks. DONE ........
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Henry4440

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
.22 Black Powder???!!!! 8)

I think i'm buying a Crossno 22 Caliber Liner for my Sharps. ;D
http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=208

Can't wait to see the faces when i shoot my Sharps in a small bore competition.

;D

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
FCK,
I found it fascinating as well  ;D so many rounds and it was still shooting accurately using Swiss powder. Someday, I'll have to run a test with Goex to see if there is any difference. I do know that Swiss was the only powder that did not foul out in the 44-40 with the vintage 427098 bullet. That's why I chose it initially for testing the .22 LR BP.

Swede,
Thank you for your interest.  The pic in the link that Mako (thank you, Mako) referenced is currently te method what I use. The only difference  is that I have found that 4.5 grs. has proven more accurate than 5.0 grs so I am using 4.5 grs. now. Also, trying different bullets per the pic below.

John Boy,
Thank you for posting your procedure. As the old atage goes ..... "There is more than one way to skin a cat".

Henry,
That sounds pretty neat!

Here is a better pic of the cartridge I was using (left). Testing to be done on the middle and right cartridges.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
Guys, I've been following this over on the Shiloh board, too. Great stuff. You're inspirational!
Now if someone will just start offering primed cases again ...

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I surely do appreciate it! I have also been reading up on the Kirst-Strite .22 LR conversion for Remington NMA repros. Very interesting....

Swede

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com