Author Topic: CS & US embossing plates  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CS & US embossing plates
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
 The CS & US plates are on ebay again if anyone still doesnt have them.  I think it has been a couple of months since I have seen the guy offering them.  I get the impression (pun intended) that he is doing this moe as a hobby than a business????  http://cgi.ebay.com/US-CS-Leather-Emboss-Plates-2-3-4-x-1-5-8-Each_W0QQitemZ320552747785QQcategoryZ28133QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4712.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D220626591964%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7609945735064562167

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
Re: CS & US embossing plates
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
So, asking the obvious question, how do they work?
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Hi JD.
These plates are not hammer stamps and should
be pressed in using a hydraulic press, clicker press.
I was reading the description ;)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:08:57 AM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »
My bad BhB, what I meant to say is how well do they work.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
Mine are the metal ones but they still need a press.  I do have experience with some of his 'plastic' embossing plates and like them fine.  His claim that the composit material makes a sharper impression is correct for highly detailed impressions.  You will need to use a press and they do need a good deal of pressure, I do not even like the results from my really big arbor press.  One of the bench top hydraulic presses is what I would consider minimal.  At his listing price you could get the pair and buy a 14ton press from HF Imports for about what I paid for my plates alone.  I have thought about trying to talk him into offering a matching set of US/CS stamps in a smaller size for use on accessory items.

Offline Boothill Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • got you in my sight
    • www.boothillbobholsters.dinstudio.se
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
Ok JD :-[ Sh**t, have I made a fool out of me now ???
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
Don't sweat it BhB! It was my fault for not being clear, not yours for trying to help.

Slowhand, so one of the HF presses would do it?

Thanks, JD

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »
JD, I have one of the Tippmann 15ton pneumatic clicker presses and if I were starting over I would try a 20ton hydraulic 'shop' press.  It wouldnt be as slick as the high end clicker machines but neither is the Tippmann.  I think I have seen Harbor Freight run them at below $200 and you still would need to find a source for a couple of nice heavy metal plates to rig a bed like the one Weaver sells and you would be good to go.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 07:58:32 AM »
The metal plates would not be a problem, but I'm not sure about the press. So the lever ones I've seen at HF most likely wouldn't do it I suppose; it would have to be hyduralic, and I don't think I'd do enough to warrant that expense. I've got my eye on other things for that much money. Thanks for the info.   

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
I was the highest bidder for these plates, so I'll update you all on how they work as soon as I get them. I have an arbor press but I get a feeling it won't be enough for these to work properly.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »
My arbor press is a three ton model and comes up short of giving really good impressions.  I hope to upload some pictures of my WB holster with the new double mag pouch design as soon as I finish it and will try to remember to scan in a picture of the shop press carried by Weaver.  I have no experience with one but it looks like it would make a great substitute for a low end end clicker.  I think theirs is a 12ton model but I think I would rather start with a 20ton floor model and do the simple mods myself.  The biggest draw backs would probably be operation speed and a need to keep the pressure work width pretty narrow.

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »
OK, first report on the press plates. I received my set and proceded to impress a piece of leather. My arbor press worked OK as long as the leather was cased WELL. But there were a few defects in the plate that transferred to the leather. They were easily cleaned up with a modeling tool but I felt that they shouldn't be there, so I e-mailed the maker. He admitted that the pattern was taken from an actual older tool(cool) and that it didn't leave a perfect impression. I have had the same thing happen when buying replica grips for old autos, the copy is only as good as the original they took the pattern from. So what he did was send me another set taken from a pattern he made, so it was perfect. He sent the second set for free, including shipping, which I was very impressed with. The stamps are very similar but the second set is a bit larger. The pic here shows both. If you look very carefully you will see the errors o the top of the "S" and some on the oval border above the S. For the price these seem to be a good deal, especially if you are not going to be making hundreds of items. I'm no expert but these look very much like the original post 1900 pieces I have. Most civil war pieces I have seen in person and online the oval is a bit more round, but unless you had them side by side I doubt anyone would notice or care. For me these should work very well. And it's nice to find someone out there who really cared about customer service as this vendor does. And he sent me a disk with all his other designs, about a hundred of them, some of which might be useful to others out there. His website lists them all, www.bunkhousetools.com   It is worth checking out.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
They look great to me Slim. Sounds like the supplier is a stand up guy.

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
Looks like you don't have to go through e-bay, this is his e-mail to me:

Howdy Mark,

Thanks and we're glad they will work for you.  Yes we sell our full line direct from the website www.bunkhousetools.com or from our CD catalog.  All you need to do is email us at tiptoncompany@gmail.com with any requests and we'll get right back to you with a quote.

Raymond and Patty

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
I have more than a few of his plates and roles and find them to be pretty good quality for the price.  I actually prefer the newer plastic versions better than his old metal castings, the impressions are far better detailed.  He has actually made a couple of designs based on my request so if you have anything you think might be popular for him, ask.  I still think a smaller version of the US and CS plates might go over well for him but have not talked to him for a while to recommend them.  One last thought, I much prefer his embossing machine over most of the other light ones on the market.  With the foot operated tension you have enough control to do some pretty impressive roll work on odd shaped edges such as cuffs, pouches, holsters and such.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com