WEST ELK VOTERS SAY A FIRM "NO" ON TUESDAY

Started by Rudy Taylor, November 03, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: Varmit on November 03, 2009, 11:42:02 PM
Well, then have them sign a waiver or something.  I don't think that the folks in Elk county (and again I could be way off here) are that "sue happy" that if they were volunteering to something like this, and got hurt, that they would sue the school or whatever.

And then have the final product reviewed/certified by a bonded contractor prior to occupancy.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

jerry wagner

If they were willing.

jerry wagner

Either way the repairs to the building do not address the over staffing for the size of the district that is necessary to run three campuses when only one is necessary.  You can repair (and waste money on those repairs) three buildings with cheap or volunteer labor all you want but that will not alleviate the situation whatsoever.  What people need to realize to a degree is that we are currently at MAX LOB, which means next year if the population of students declines and thus the budget received by the state declines so must the LOB since the maximum LOB is a percentage of the total funding, thus people will have to be eliminated to meet that reduced budget and that is where the problem will grow large and will result in eliminated programs and a quick reduction in the quality of education provided by USD 282.

At this point, perhaps the school district should just be dissolved and have the students go to the closest open enrollment schools and watch as the remaining families in Elk county disappear.

Hunter75

I am totally floored. I had hoped for a decisive victory for my kids, instead ignorance reared its ugly head. I would say 375-622 is directly proportional to the number of voters with school aged children. How quickly education drops off your radar when your kids are grown. Well now what? The school board decision will no doubt cause a loss in teachers,  school dependant jobs, and the loss of capabilities/programs. Either Severy or Moline will lose a school (and niether will do very well without its school) and the county will lose out on education and educated citizens yeah!!! Thats just what W.E. needs. More of the same. I hear all kinds of quality comments from folks like cut athletics and extra-curriculars, thats nice just what a young family wants to hear from the town(s) you live in. I want my kids to have the best not a half a$$&D pseudo-education that requires a stint at a community college to even meet most university admission standards thats rich! So now I have to weigh my kids future against my want to stay in Elk County gee thanks. Dont see many young folks getting an education and coming back to Elk County in fact I dont see many young folks at all our average age is 46 and 52% are over 45! They say these last couple of generations are lazy, lack ambition, lack common sense, and so on.... well look what the older generations just said with their voting. Well have fun a Penny's Pub, get some beer and cigs at P&J's and drink up you say we the 375 ought to pay for our kids educations, school repairs and all, well you 622  ought to be proud and state what you voted out loud so we can all appreciate your ignorance. I saw a quote on Terresa's post some time back that said something like "people thought Americans were stupid so Americans went to the poles and removed all doubt!" Well there ya go history repeats itself! I think the gene pool needs a new filter!!  
Some cliches/quotes come to mind that discribe this vote to a T;
"you cant polish a turd;"
"that little white spot on chicken crap is still crap;"
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge - others just gargle"

If you think education is expensive - try ignorance.- Derek Bok-; >:(

sixdogsmom

So----- could we safely say that you are bitter?  8)
Edie

Patriot

So now it's just the voters today who are the ignorants who created your dilemma?  How about the management (or lack thereof) that failed to see these problems years ago?  And what of the lack of economic development in Elk County in the last 10 or 15 years that might have led to an economy that could draw and keep people here?  I have to wonder, how many HS graduates in the last 10 years from this school district hare still in Elk County vs how many have left to find the very thing their education was to prepare them for:  jobs and careers?  I reject the notion that 622 people voted against this measure out of pure ignorance.  While it's obvious you have suffered a personal defeat from this vote, labeling those who voted their conscience as ignorant, lacking in ambition, lacking in common sense or as being lazy is a bit of a stretch, imho.   Moreover, I resent the inference that they can now just 'hang out at Penny's Pub, buy beer and smokes at PJ's', etc.  Maybe, just maybe some, if not many, of those who voted against this bond issue have circumstances about which you have no facts or knowledge.  But, I could be wrong.  Sorry you felt slighted by the outcome of the democratic process today.

Hunter75

Not bitter just fed up with the head first swan dive 282 just took due to the inferior genetics of the baby boomers or the clan of cave bear whatever you call yourselves these days.;D

Patriot

Quote from: Hunter75 on November 04, 2009, 12:18:40 AM
Not bitter just fed up with the head first swan dive 282 just took due to the inferior genetics of the baby boomers or the clan of cave bear whatever you call yourselves these days.;D

If you don't like this genetic pool or bear cave, it's still a free country.... Move to a pool in which you are more comfortable.

jerry wagner

Yes, because actively encouraging more people, especially those with children, to leave will help the situation.

Patriot

Just about as much as open attacks on the personal integrity and character of the majority who voted no on this issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk