WEST ELK VOTERS SAY A FIRM "NO" ON TUESDAY

Started by Rudy Taylor, November 03, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Taylor

West Elk voters turn down bond issue, 622-375

Voters in West Elk USD 282 soundly turned down the $5.55 million bond proposal to consolidate all school facilities onto one campus in balloting on Tuesday.

The final result: Yes 375 votes, and No 622 votes.

This will bring to a halt plans to construct a new elementary school in Howard and the eventual closure of grade schools in Severy and Moline.

The USD 282 Board of Education will hold its regular monthly meeting on Monday night, Nov. 9, at 7:30 p.m. Board members must now decide which direction to take as the school continues with its three-campus school district.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Patriot

Let the screaming begin!

<passing out cheese to go with the whine>
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Is it any wonder with everyone getting their tax bill today!?
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

jerry wagner

Good luck in maintaining the district in the future with that decision.  Can't see it being feasible for too many more years.

Varmit

What isn't feasible is for the county to keep raising taxes and have nothing to show for it, and then to ask for even more.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

jerry wagner

Unrelated to this thread, but I believe that the tax increase is partly due to the removal of the tax assessment of the equipment that constructed the new HWY 99.

Sarah

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 03, 2009, 08:59:56 PM
Unrelated to this thread, but I believe that the tax increase is partly due to the removal of the tax assessment of the equipment that constructed the new HWY 99.

Doesn't that equipment belong to the company that constructed the highway?

srkruzich

Huh?  There is no way that the tax on construction equipment would equal the tax increases that everyone is getting.  Not even close!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

jerry wagner

Quote from: Sarah on November 03, 2009, 09:02:14 PM

Doesn't that equipment belong to the company that constructed the highway?

Yes it does, but it is taxed in the county that it was located in.

peanut

Well my taxes went up too...Guess that is the price we pay for living in a free county.
"Talk Low, Talk Slow And Dont Talk Too Much."
                  ( John Wayne )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk