What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Thanks to you both.Congrats on making 40 Mom. Where does the time go?
  Larry, you just described almost how it works, and DOESN'T work here. Usually, depending on the information from the 9-1-1 center, we have the EMTs in the transport vehicle and/or the paramedics in their truck. If it's an all hands event, like a CPR in progress, an engine comes too for manpower assist. Our ladder (it's a 100 ft tiller too) would not be sent just for the reasons you described. We have lots of narrow streets and cul- de- sacs  also.  We try to get set up so the transport unit can get out, but some times we have to juggle around a bit also. If it's really bad, both paramedics come with us and they just lock the truck and come back later to get it. Or we might have one of our EMTs drive it in if they can be spared. If it's something simple like a badly sprained ankle that happened out in public, the paramedics will check them out, hand them to us and go back on the road.  Now, right in town here, we might also get the Newark Police cars, at least two, to help any way they can, and on something really serious, the paramedic supervisor in his/her car, as well as the rescue truck. In winter snow we would also have our field piece with a snow plow, to plow us into and out of where ever we need to go. It can be quite a parade! Our Paramedics IV almost everyone too, and it's amazing how they can do a good stick while moving, especially with an uncooperative patient. In a college town we get plenty of those. Our systems are very similar.
   I never learned to tiller the ladder. I'm backward enough as it is without having to learn to steer left to go right and then learn to do it in reverse! 
Oops, I just heard a shooting come in up the road at Klair Estates. It's in the next district up but that will bring the whole parade with the police staging everything else well away until they can secure the scene. Hope it's not a copy cat individual from Colorado. That does sometimes happen. Now we just got an accident involving a motorcycle just a few blocks from me. Sadly that has a lot of serious potential too. It's a busy world.

Lookatmeknow!!

My excitment entailed helping 3 girls get their 4-H projects completed before the fair next week. Two were sewing, while another just thought about sewing her pillow and begged me to cut it out for her!! But I didn't. LOL!! She would be the 14 year old. The girls also took things into the Howard Fair this past weekend. So, we have been very busy at our house making things!! :P
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

larryJ

Actually, it is what I did for excitement yesterday.  A week ago, my sister-in-law called me, which doesn't happen often, and informed me that the daughter of one of my nephews was going to be in the area and would like to meet our side of the family.  Let me see if I can explain this relationship.  

My brother had two sons from his first marriage.  Both are now deceased.  The younger son had a daughter, but was never married to her mother.  This young lady lives in Michigan and comes out to California every summer for a vacation.  My sister-in-law is my brother's second wife.  This young lady considers my sister-in-law as a Grandmother, even though she isn't.  However, because her actual Grandfather is my brother, she is my Grandniece.  I might have met her once before, but I don't recall that and neither does she.  She is now 14 years old.  

This get-together was held in Claremont which is about 16 miles to the east of my house.  When my sister-in-law called with the invitation to be there, I couldn't understand why it was being held there, but didn't want to ask.  The house where all this took place belongs to the mother of a man who was the "let's say, best friend" of my sister-in-law's brother who is also deceased.  Apparently, my sister-in-law has kept the friendship going after her brother's death.  Confused?  Yeah, me too.

My children and their families were also invited so that this young lady could meet the entire Jordan clan.  Those in attendance included my sister-in-law,  her current husband, her son which is my nephew, both of my children and their families, two nieces of my sister-in-law and a few people who were just friends of the owner of the house.  To better understand this mess, let me do it by generations.  First, my sister-in-law and myself, second, three first cousins (my children and my nephew), third, four second cousins (my grandchildren and this young lady from Michigan.)

Got it?  What I wanted to talk about here, also, was the place where all this happened.  The house is a mansion of sorts.  When you enter, there is a huge formal living room/dining room probably 600 square feet in size. To the right and beyond that is a kitchen.  Making a left turn from that is a family room with a fireplace about the size of a mini-van next to a 80-inch big screen TV.  In one corner sits an aquarium about the size of a bathtub if the tub was standing on end.  Across from that is a full-sized bar which is in a half-circle shape and I would guess 20 feet in length.  Going back through the formal living room to the other side of the house is the main bathroom.  When you enter this huge bathroom, there is a counter and double sink to the right and turning to the left, you see on the left side a U-shaped glass shower and to the right a bathtub with jets and a small flat screen TV above that.  While standing there with the shower to the left and the tub to the right, it appears you are looking into a full wall sized mirror reflecting the counter behind you.  BUT NO!  There is another exact counter and double sink on that side........it is not a mirror.  This bathroom would measure about 400 square feet!  It was just weird!  Outside where everyone was sitting in the patio area, there are three full size dining type tables and another smaller round table.  Between these tables is a BBQ area with a granite top counter extending on both sides, one side ending in a square table top and the other side into a circular table.  The ground is all stone and then there is the pool.  At the back of the patio is a deeper pool with a kids pool slightly above it to one side and a spa to the other.  Both of these are surrounded by huge stones and have a smooth opening to allow water to flow from both into the big pool.  Attached to this is a swimway about three feet wide about thirty feet in length and shallow which goes towards the house and allows swimmers to migrate from the deep pool under a foot bridge into another small pool with a small waterfall coming down over the rocks.  Needless to say, the kids had a great time!  

I could go on, but that is enough confusion for one day.  I had initially not wanted to go, but felt obligated becaused I was asked.  Now, I am glad I went.  My wife wasn't feeling well and opted to stay home so I hitched a ride with my son.  It was really a good time.  Oh.......the young lady who was there and the reason for the party was extremely interested in her family history and we talked a great deal about ancestors.  As I said she is only 14, but has a really good head on her shoulders and paid attention to every story I told her.  It was refreshing to see a young person that interested in her family history.

Enough.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

patyrn

No real excitement for me today, but I did visit my cardiologist this morning for a 9-months post surgery visit.  Everything is good, and we will do an echogram in 3 months to be certain everything is working perfectly.  So thankful for all these medical people.................life is GOOD!!!!!!

larryJ

Great news!  Keep up the good work!

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Larry, you made that all very clear.That house sounds wonderful. P. glad to hear your recovery is going along so well. Al's back is shipshape again too. I picked 6 kinds of squash that have suddenly decided to produce thanks to the hose The Delaware corn crop  has officially been declared a loss and the farmers are mowing down the stalks That means higher chicken prices soon too.The soy beans aren't good either .They may yet be a loss.
Yesterday I watched the Olympics again while I made and processed 7 pints of bread and butter pickles.
 Got a call yesterday evening that I had hoped we would never get. Al's sister's breast cancer has returned for the third time.  I am so sad. She is just the sweetest person in the world and I feel so bad for her. It's heavy in the women on her mothers side.  It killed her grandmother and mother, so she is the third generation in a row and of course her own daughter is very worried for herself. But, Beth is real trouper and has a very level head. She'd had lumpectomys both times before. Once again this was caught very early, but she had decided enough is enough. So, instead of going to Hawaii as they had planned, on Sept. 7 she is having a complete double mastectomy with reconstruction to follow. She is such a pretty girl and has always exercised and taken care of herself the way we all should. but rarely do. I know she will be fine  but it just seems so unfair. She lives in AZ near Fountain View and has a really good team working with her. Prayers would be greatly appreciated.

larryJ

Diane, Al's sister is in my prayers.  I pray she has a full recovery.  And, good news about Al.

Along that line, I forgot to mention in my post about the family get-together about my nephew.  When he was six he was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy.  We were told he would not live past age 18.  When he was ten, he began using a wheelchair as his legs would not work for him very well.  Of course, being a degenerative disease he progressively got worse, but still managed to handle his lifestyle in good fashion.  When he was 18, when he shouldn't be around, he graduated high school with honors.  The graduation was held in the football field and a special ramp was put in place for access to the platform on which the school officials sat and where the graduates received their diplomas.  He was the only one in a wheelchair and they built that ramp just for him.  The principal commented that he was glad that "this kid is out of here so he won't have to worry about being run over in the hallway!"  He became extremely proficient with computers.  He started his own Blog telling of his adventures and misadventures.  He created links for others who were researching articles or technical information for MD patients.  When my brother passed, he made the decision that he wanted to live in an assisted care facility lessening the burden on his mother.  (she still goes over there daily and stays with him.)  My sister-in-law remarried to a man who was a volunteer at that facility and a terrific guy. 

Still the disease progressed and it became hard for him to move his arms, although he could still use his hands.  His computer was his life.  Over the years, technology increased giving him more mobility and more comfort what with having to sit all the time.  He has had the best care and the best equipment money could buy.  A lot of this comes from the MDA. 

The reason I mention this...........I got to spend some quality time with him last Saturday.  He has limited use of his hands now.  He has terminated his Blog.  His wheelchair is comparable to a Mercedes in the world of wheelchairs.  Simple use of his thumb allows him to guide him in any directiion.  He is able to move the chair into a reclining position when he gets uncomfortable.  There is a device mounted on the tray which allows him to monitor his own battery voltage, his oxygen levels and many other things. He has had a tracheotomy tube for many years to help him breathe.  His speech is quiet but intelligible.  His mind is still fantastic.

This boy..........this man who would not live past age 18 is now 43!  I enjoy every time I get to see him which is not often as they live in the Palm Springs area.  Still, I am so impressed each and every time I see him.  And, proud to call him my newpew, my family.

Larryj

Diane Amberg

Isn't it wonderful how much more time those folks with progressive disabilities have now? It's amazing how much their lives have improved. I'm sorry his hands are failing now, but there are so many other gadgets that can help him. We have The Mary Campbell Center here in Delaware that is a true home for folks with disabilities they have computers of all kinds of course, an accessible indoor swimming pool  for physical therapy and on and on.
 It's nice you were able to have some good time with your nephew. Thank you for the prayers for Beth.

Diane Amberg

We bought a second refrigerator for the garage yesterday. It's 'all fridge with no freezer. I've wanted one for many years and we finally decided to get it for summer canning season. I told Al that can be both my Christmas and birthday present early. I also did up more pickles this afternoon.The ''huge"rain and storm we were expecting never developed, so we are still much too dry, but your drought is much worse I think. We've had a few little rains but nothing to write home about. Steaks are about ready.Have a nice evening.

Wilma

We are very, very dry and now we have been asked to water sparingly.  I do so hope that we have some decent rain real soon.

My treat for the week was yesterday while I was tending my planters on the front porch.  I found myself eye to eye with a hummingbird with only a planter between us.  He inspected me then flew on.  I guess he thought my red petunias were off limit as long as I was there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk