Torture

Started by Anmar, August 25, 2009, 11:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your views on the government's use of torture?

The government should be allowed to torture anyone
The government should be allowed to torture only foreigners
The government should not torture anyone
Torture is illegal, and those who were involved should be prosecuted
I don't believe the government used torture

Anmar

Just trying to get a consensus and maybe start a discussion.  For those of you who missed it, the Justice department announced a special prosecuter to look into the actions of the previous administration.

Also for reference, the definition of torture is...

1.    the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2.    a method of inflicting such pain.
3.    Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
4.    extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
5.    a cause of severe pain or anguish.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

sixdogsmom

By using torture, we are showing that we are no better than the worst of our enemies. Abhu Graib (spelling?) and Gitmo shall live in infamy as dark days in the history of the United States. As a people we have suffered through attacks from our enemies and as a result became stronger, but this torture business has attacked the moral fiber of our society. The quicker we clean it up, the quicker we can become strong again.
Edie

Teresa

Here's how federal law defines torture (Ref. Title 18, PART I, Chap. 113C, Section 2340):

(1) "torture" means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) "severe mental pain or suffering" means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from—
(A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

I can't honestly vote as there are too many branches to this question.
We ARE talking about military terrorist stuff here right?
Several questions and thoughts come to mind...
What is considered 'torture"... and by whom? ?
Whatever happened to "tell us what we want to know or we kill you".......... ???

And how do you deal with a group of people who have no moral thoughts or signature? The Al Quaida are the most inhumane creatures that there is to women, children and animals.. are we supposed to find them and lock them in prison.. give them 3 meals a day and put them on trial? Maybe we should just beg the enemy for information. "Pretty please with a cherry drop on top". Would that make Obama and his wimps happy with interrogation? I'm sure they will tell us anything we want to know if we would only be nicer to them.   ::)
These men would just as soon die blowing up a school full of children than look you in the eye.. How do you deal with that?

I might be a hard ass where this is concerned..but I think actually that if you have one or more Islamic subjects to interrogate you do 2 things. Take them up for a helicopter ride and carry a container of pigs blood. Go to 1000 feet altitude and give him a choice. Jump or get pigs blood poured on him. I think he'll  talk ... and if he doesn't...  pour it on him and throw him out. Then look at the 2nd  one whose been sitting there watching. ( make sure you have a tape recorder handy cause there might be some talking..) if not.. well.........bye bye.. no big loss.
A little pay back for the Americans they have beheaded and mutilated.

Anmar

Quote from: Teresa on August 25, 2009, 12:31:10 PM
Whatever happened to "tell us what we want to know or we kill you".......... ???

And how do you deal with a group of people who have no moral thoughts or signature? The Al Quaida are the most inhumane creatures that there is to women, children and animals.. are we supposed to find them and lock them in prison.. give them 3 meals a day and put them on trial? Maybe we should just beg the enemy for information. "Pretty please with a cherry drop on top". Would that make Obama and his wimps happy with interrogation? I'm sure they will tell us anything we want to know if we would only be nicer to them.   ::)
These men would just as soon die blowing up a school full of children than look you in the eye.. How do you deal with that?

I might be a hard ass where this is concerned..but I think actually that if you have one or more Islamic subjects to interrogate you do 2 things. Take them up for a helicopter ride and carry a container of pigs blood. Go to 1000 feet altitude and give him a choice. Jump or get pigs blood poured on him. I think he'll  talk ... and if he doesn't...  pour it on him and throw him out. Then look at the 2nd  one whose been sitting there watching. ( make sure you have a tape recorder handy cause there might be some talking..) if not.. well.........bye bye.. no big loss.

Please define "Islamic Subjects"

srkruzich

Yes its acceptable in certain situations.  I remember a few years back i believe col west was interrogating a terrorist who had information that we needed and needed fast. So after the initial attempts at getting this info unsuccessfully asking the terrorist nicely, he pulled his .45 and fired it at the terrorists head but purposely missing him.  The information was obtained and our servicemen were saved from a lot of IEDs and attacks and ambush's they were heading into.  

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Teresa

"Islamic Subjects".. meaning Islamic terrorists.. Islamic fundamentalist who who are willing to kill and be killed for Allah.
"Islamic Subjects".... as they are generally the ones who are trying to kill us..so I used that term because I was categorizing  on a terrorist level..

And before you go off on me......... Nooo I don't think all Islamic people are bad.. warped maybe ..but not bad.

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on August 25, 2009, 12:33:07 PM

Quote from: Teresa on August 25, 2009, 12:31:10 PM

Please define "Islamic Subjects"
Oh come on now Anmar. Islamic subjects aka Muslims, aka Terrorists, aka the ones who go around blowing up small children and civilians trapped in 100 story buildings.   You know the ones who go running around yelling allah akbar carrying the head of the latest victim they hacked up with their scimitars

Anmar

There are over 1 billion muslims in the world.  There are 8 million American Citizens that are muslim.  not all of them run around blowing things up.  Are you saying that they are all subject to torture?

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on August 25, 2009, 12:43:09 PM
There are over 1 billion muslims in the world.  There are 8 million American Citizens that are muslim.  not all of them run around blowing things up.  Are you saying that they are all subject to torture?

Did i say all 1 billion are running around with heads dangling or blowing up things?   as far as 1 billion being subject to torture, YES if their running around doing those things and have vital information that would prevent those things from happening that we need.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk