Households using the Elk County Forum

Started by Kjell H., July 06, 2009, 11:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjell H.

We are often asked about how many within our community is using the Elk County Forum and how much impact it has in terms of communication between the citizens, information from the organizations, the city and the county.

Tonight when attending the council meeting in Howard, there were talks about lack of communication and how to reach out with information. This was specifically related to the city water problem.

The Elk County Forum cannot reach out to everybody, but it reaches out to more people and households than we realize. When I came home, I did some research around the numbers and information that we are able to gather from our server.

Based on the number of visits, unique visits and connection points, members of around 800 households in Elk County log on during a month.

Here are some more numbers from the last 30 days:

Marshal Halloway

Joanna

What great information! I've wondered the same myself many times.  It is astouncing and impressive that so many people keep in touch with Elk County through the Forum.
The Elk County Forum works really well to put out information; it is free, instant and far-reaching. I try to always post community info here. 
     {:-* THANK YOU, Kjell & Teresa, for all the work, time & money you put into this!:-*}
The Prairie Star newspaper does a great job too and have always printed any community info I've sent to them.  It seems to work for folks who don't use the computer much; or just prefer to have it in paper form... {ditto THANKS to Rudy, Jenny, Jo & all}
Flyers & notices on the SKT cable channel are another great way to post information for this area; and
Announcements in church are sure to catch a large portion of the population. 
BUT there are folks who aren't happy till you put a poster up at Toot's ;D

Howard Rotary club has been researching signs, like an electric billboard, that people could post events and information on. It will be a BIG project but would sure be a benefit to the community. I feel like we (the community) have been doing much better at sharing information than even a couple years ago.  I know from experience that even if you have covered every avenue you can think of, there will be 2 or 3 people who tell you later that they didn't know anything about your event...
I know the communication issue is brought up frequently lately, but I think that unless the citizens want to put out some effort to be/stay informed, there is not a sure-fire way to reach everyone. 

Rudy Taylor

Thank you, Joanna!

The issue of communication always brings about good discussion at meetings. I've heard it so many times that I can repeat the lines from memory.

I agree with all the above --- use every communication tool you have available, and that includes those posters at Toot's!  ;)

But overall I must echo Joanna's thoughts --- that people need to be seekers of information. That must happen FIRST. We have very good local media ranging from a newspaper to window posters to newsletters to church announcements to the Elk County Forum ... and more. But if you're not inclined to seek such information, the it will still go unnoticed.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Tobina+1

Be sure and get the Communication Action Team from Elk Konnected involved with your discussions.  They have been working on different types of communication over the past year+ and may either have insight and/or willing to help with projects.  I believe Barb Clubine is one of the co-conveners for that team.

Wilma

It is very interesting how far afield in Kansas the Elk County Forum goes, but how about the nation?  Is there any state that isn't represented?  I ask it this way because I suspect that there are fewer states not represented than are represented.

Another question.  I am interested in the auctions that take place almost every weekend.  Would it be all right for the auctioneers to at least put an announcement of the auction on the forum?

This forum is almost the only way that I get daily news before it is a week old.  I appreciate it very much.  Nobody knows how much I appreciate it.  A person who can't get out on a daily basis doesn't get to see the notices that are posted downtown.  As my mail is delivered to my residence, I don't even get to the post office.  Any little bit about what you are doing or what your neighbors are doing is appreciated.

Ms Bear

How many are from Texas.  Me for one.

I wish we had a local forum for where I live.

Ms Bear

I even figured out how to add my picture.

Wilma

Glad you did.  I am still trying to remember how to post a picture.

dnalexander

Thanks Kjell for posting this I find it interesting. I too wish I had a forum like this for my local town. Wilma, I bet it comes pretty close to having visits from all 50 states. Just from the active posters that I know I think we have a good idea that we have people from all across the country here. I get the impression from the active posters that most of us don't even live in Elk County and many not even in Kansas. My point is that I think their is something very special about Kansas that gets in your blood even if you move away the connection is still with you. (My dog is named Kansas Boy and I have not been to Kansas in 34 years.) Kudo's to Kjell, Theresa, and Rudy (My little city gets lost in my Metro newspaper) too.

David

Wilma

David, you could live here, too. We would let you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk