Feliz Cinco de Mayo

Started by dnalexander, May 04, 2009, 02:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

Quote from: Dee Gee on May 04, 2009, 09:35:53 PM
David, not really any point because you translated the conversation, but it is just like when you are out in a public place you wonder just what others are saying when they are speaking a foreign language.

Diane, I'm not Elk county either, but I'm close to there.

I do admire people that can speak and understand different languages, i have a hard time with just English.

Dee Gee, I translated it because I actually feel it is rude to speak in a foreign language when other people are involved in the conversation (with out including them by translating) ; which is always the case here on the forum. SDM's comment reminded me of that belief.

David

Wilma

What bothers me is a group of young men, obviously not white or black, hanging out in a mall seemingly without any purpose and of course, speaking in their own language.  I am not talking about school age teenagers.  I am talking about young men of working age who don't seem to have a job to keep them busy.  And their attention isn't on each other.  Their eyes are working the crowd.

Diane Amberg

A number of years ago I was walking in the door to Christiana mall, our big regional shopping mall when I passed a group of young Hispanic males making unnecessary comments in Spanish about some girls waiting by the movie theater. I couldn't help but hear them and I said,''Parar! Silencio por favor. Eso muy grosero!   (Stop! Quiet please. That is very rude!) You should have their faces. They left.

dnalexander

Diane and Wilma since you both have "free passes" from me I won't post. Not that you did anything wrong. I just had a devilish comment. Since we still don't have an icon with horns.  :angel:

David

sixdogsmom

LOL! Diane, I had a couple of fellows from Columbia and another who was American and had spent many years in South America who worked for me. It was a natural that they should speak spanish among themselves when we were out on break. Sometimes their exchanges were pretty rough and of course I knew what they were saying. I thnked them very kindly not to speak about 'Hos in my presence. They all three very sheepishly apologised and I never heard them do that again. Isn't it funny that the very first things that somebody learns is the gutter language? My dad worked with a mostly Mexican crew and of course came home and promptly 'taught' us the latest thing he had learned. It has come in handy many times in my life however.  ;)
Edie

Diane Amberg

Si. Mi tambien. David, Porque no dilo.    No me Importante. ( yes, me too. )  ( David why not tell. I don't mind.)  ;D

dnalexander

El pequeño diablo nunca habla.

Diane you can translate better than I can. I will post what I meant later.

David

Diane Amberg

The little devil never speaks? (or spoke)   OK  That one wasn't hard.

dnalexander

Yes that is the literal translation. What I wanted to say was the  The little devil never tells, but my Spanish grammar is worse than my English grammar. That is the problem when you think in English and try to say it in Spanish. Never works out right because both languages don't use the same slang.

David

Diane Amberg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk