Swine Flu...Impending pandemic?

Started by Catwoman, April 29, 2009, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

Okay, folks... :( I am listening to all of the news and am starting to get a little ansy.  It sounds like we're headed for something the likes of which we haven't seen in my lifetime.  I hope I'm wrong...But O was on the tube, discussing it just now...That's not a good sign.  I heard that the national news was saying that it would be a good idea to have a 10-day supply of food onhand, in the event that public venues were shut down.  What has anyone else heard?

dnalexander

We've been talking about this in the Politics section. There is a lot of good info posted by the regulars. I will post here a link I found for those that don't venture into the Politics section.

Here is a government website for all things flu. There is a ton of info on here.

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/index.html

For your local information check:

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/whereyoulive/index.html

David

Catwoman

I went onto google and found a map that shows how widespread this thing is...Naturally, China/Russia show no swine flu at all.  They're either very lucky or are not reporting it on purpose.  I'm surprised we haven't been moved to Phase 6 in this thing.

Diane Amberg

Just be watchful, don't panic. Do you remember the Swine Flu of 1976? We got our shots and life went on. Follow the advice on personal protection. It's not to stage 6 but might get there. If local schools start closing in mass, then it's time to stock up on extra food and stay home for awhile.  For most people Tamiflu takes care of it. We now have 2 confirmed cases on the UD campus two blocks from me and the UDPD officers are now wearing mask and gloves. Looks funny. David, those sites you posted are very good. Thanks!

Tobina+1

The more accurately named "North American Flu" is giving pork producers a bad name.  This flu strain doesn't come from eating pork products or being around live swine. 
People should just be mindful and if they feel ill or know anyone who does, then go to the doctor!  And stay home!  Good advice for "normal flu", too.

Rudy Taylor

The main thing is: Wash your hands!!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

sixdogsmom

I love it! Rudy, I think they are making a big something out of this when it is not necessary. Hong Kong flu, and b- virus, a-virus killed many people even when they had been vaccinated. I have not had the flu for many years and have been very careful to get my immunizations. I stay away from obviously sick people, wash hands often and don't kiss too many pigs! Ha! Boy do I hate it when I am out shopping and hear somebody with a big case of the crud hacking away and smearing it all over whatever they are around. Good job idiot! You just contaminated the baby food, and guess who gets so sick they cannot recover? Just don't get me started. Ted was immuno-suppressed and we were very consious of those things. I wouldn't allow him to read a mag in the Dr's office. In my opinion that is just asking for it! After we left that office we would use hand cleaner/sanitizer. This is a great invention IMHO!
Edie

Varmit

After doing a little research I think that they may be over hyping this thing.  I mean, roughly 36,000 people die each year from the regular flu.  So far in the U.S. there has been only 1.  Just take the normal precautions.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

We have two more confirmed cases on campus and about 10 others who are sick and awaiting their results. Our grocery stores have put out alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer at each checkout and people are using them. I taught an impromptu class at the deli counter in one store. (They know I'm an EMT) and I think it helped some of the older ones be less afraid. It's hard to know how to handle this.  Some you have to just about have to hit them over the head so they'll take it seriously enough. Others you risk scaring them silly if you give them just a little information. Some people think their flu shot from last fall will take care of this too.  Not so, this is A/1N1. Not the same at all. The main thing is do what you normally would to avoid airborne germs and go to the DR. if you get sick. Tamiflu is what is usually given and I know some people do act a little goofy after taking it. It can have few other common side affects. Tobina, stay well. I don't think you can take it.

greatguns

If you go to the right country you can't get the swine flu.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk