Mandatory Volunteers???

Started by Varmit, April 21, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

By ANN SANNER, Associated Press Writer Ann Sanner, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 6 mins ago
WASHINGTON – Calling on Americans to volunteer, President Barack Obama signed a $5.7 billion national service bill Tuesday that triples the size of the AmeriCorps service program over the next eight years and expands ways for students to earn money for college. "What this legislation does, then, is to help harness this patriotism and connect deeds to needs," said Obama, a former community organizer in Chicago.

"It creates opportunities to serve for students, seniors and everyone in between," he said. "And it is just the beginning of a sustained, collaborative and focused effort to involve our greatest resource — our citizens — in the work of remaking this nation."

Joining Obama was Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, who has been battling brain cancer. Kennedy championed the legislation with Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and the bill was named in honor of the Massachusetts Democrat.

Kennedy told the audience that included former President Bill Clinton, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former first lady Rosalyn Carter that Obama's efforts echoed those of his late brother, President John F. Kennedy.

"Today, another young president has challenged another generation to give back to their nation," Kennedy said, citing his brother's advocacy for the Peace Corps.

The service law expands ways for students and seniors to earn money for college through their volunteer work. It aims to foster and fulfill people's desire to make a difference, such as by mentoring children, cleaning up parks or buildings and weatherizing homes for the poor.

"I'm asking you to help change history's course, put your shoulder up against the wheel," Obama said. "And if you do, I promise you your life will be richer, our country will be stronger, and someday, years from now, you may remember it as the moment when your own story and the American story converged, when they came together, and we met the challenges of our new century."

Bolstering voluntary public service programs has been a priority of Obama, who credits his work as a community organizer in his early 20s for giving him direction in life. The president cited his work in Chicago as an example of how one person can make a difference.

"All that's required on your part is a willingness to make a difference," Obama said. "And that is, after all, the beauty of service: Anybody can do it."

Obama visited the SEED School of Washington, a public boarding school that serves inner-city students facing problems in both the classroom and at home, for the signing ceremony.

Afterward, Obama and first lady Michelle Obama joined Clinton to plant trees at a national park site along the Anacostia River in northeast Washington. At the Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens, Obama rolled up his sleeves with volunteers from the Student Conservation Association and local public high schools.

"Somebody forgot my boots," Obama joked to the students.

Obama on Tuesday also nominated Nike Inc. vice president Maria Eitel to lead the federal agency that oversees the country's national service programs.

Eitel, who's also president of the Nike Foundation, would have to be confirmed by the Senate to become CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service.

Congress passed the bill last month with largely bipartisan support and Obama is seeking $1.1 billion to fund it next year. Some Republicans complain it is too costly and is an unnecessary intrusion by government into something Americans already do eagerly and in great numbers — helping their neighbors and communities.

The legislation provides for gradually increasing the size of the Clinton-era AmeriCorps to 250,000 enrollees from its current 75,000. It outlines five broad categories where people can direct their service: helping the poor, improving education, encouraging energy efficiency, strengthening access to health care and assisting veterans.

AmeriCorps offers a range of volunteer opportunities including housing construction, youth outreach, disaster response and caring for the elderly. Most receive an annual stipend of slightly less than $12,000 for working 10 months to a year.

AmeriCorps has seen a recent surge in applications, according to the Corporation for National and Community Service, which oversees the program.

In March, the organization received 17,038 online AmeriCorps applications, nearly double those received in the previous month and nearly triple the 6,770 received last March.

Alan Solomont, who chairs AmeriCorps' board, said former President John F. Kennedy's call to service inspired more people to help others than just those who joined the Peace Corps. He said this national service legislation could produce the same effect.

"It is not unlike the moment in 1960 when President Kennedy asked Americans, you know, to serve, but it is certainly going to engage millions more today," Solomont said in a conference call arranged by the White House.

The bill also ties volunteer work to money for college.

People 55 and older could earn $1,000 education awards by getting involved in public service. Those awards can be transferred to a child, grandchild or even someone they mentored.

Students from sixth grade through senior year of high school could earn a $500 education award for helping in their neighborhoods during a new summer program. - associated press

Any bets on how long it will take obama to get a law passed making "volunteering" mandatory?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pam

Geez dude do you EVER let a little light in? Everything in the world is not a giant conspiracy to make you do stuff you don't wnat to do.
  What the hells wrong with helpin kids go to college in return for helpin some old lady seal up her windows or clean her gutters or paintin a playground?

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Varmit

I don't know where I put it but I do have the interview with Erich holder and obama (before he was elected) both saying that they wanted to make this mandatory. I will post it when I locate it. 

As far as helping people, no..I don't have a problem with that, it is a good thing, so long as people have a choice in the matter.  When you are forced to help, its not help, it is slavery.

Correction:  interview was with Ralph Emanuel not Holder
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pam

I'm serious about this........that will NEVER happen.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Varmit

oh really...

Seems to me that there is alot of propaganda says otherwise...Obama himself, says he wanted to put this through.

pam

William Butler Yeats

Wilma

So what if it did?  You don't remember the draft, do you?  Where if you were of the right age you had to register and be classified.  That was not voluntary, but a lot of our young men volunteered before they had to be drafted.  And why?  Because they loved this country and wanted to preserve it no matter what the price.  Today we face an entirely different situation, but still our young people need a purpose.  Without purpose, they turn to the elements that will provide excitement in their dull lives.  Why not provide them with a purpose while paying them to do it?  You don't remember the CCC, either, do you?  The Civilian Conservation Corps  was set up to provide flood control, forestry and soil conservation.  It ran from 1933 to 1942 when the majority of our young men were serving in the armed forces.  It never became compulsory.   

larryJ

I wanted to put a little comment here on the draft and people volunteering before being drafted.  It is true that there were those that joined up before being drafted because of their love for the country and desire to serve.  BUT, for the most part people who volunteered did so because volunteering allowed them to choose the service they wanted (army, air force, navy, marines, coast guard and so on) and a better chance of getting the type of service they wanted such as a clerk or a lifeguard at the pool, etc.  For those of us who were drafted, there was no choice of anything.  I served with many who volunteered for the national guard which allowed them to serve for six months and attend weekend meetings and a summer camp for the next six years while I was locked in for two years. AND, lets not forget those who chose to immigrate to Canada and were later pardoned.  Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

AmeriCorps is s a good program .I taught emergency services programs to their kids for several years. First Aid, CPR and such.

Wilma

But did you volunteer knowing that you woud be sent into combat and not expecting any benefits, just hoping that you got to come home whether in one piece or missing some part of your body?  Now all I hear is complaints about the country that my generation fought for in actual hand to hand combat, to keep the aggressors from fighting the battles on our soil.

I know that some left the country rather than serve in the armed forces.  That wasn't while the country was actually fighting.  Some people are just not cut out for military service even on a volunteer basis.  Isn't our armed forces today all volunteer?  They volunteer knowing what they are getting into, but still doing it.  God bless them, everyone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk