Well today is the day.....................

Started by pam, January 20, 2009, 08:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

Guess we are makin history today.......................................remains to be seen what KIND of history.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

pam

Watchin the show and I really don't remember an inauguration bein this big a deal before... in my life anyway...the number of people there is kind of mind-bogglin. I sure hope this turns out to be a good thing for all of us.........
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

I have wondered about my interest in this inauguration as I don't remember much about any of the others.  I think it is because we have been bombarded with it forever.  I have it on and am listening to it now that the celebrities have all been seated.  My next point of interest will be the parade.  None of it will be over in time for my soaps, so I think I will find something else to do.

frawin

Wilma, I saw on the News that the Porta-Potty ration is 1-400 people. That should prove to be interesting.

pam

I think I wrongly estimated Obama...and I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to admit it...

William Butler Yeats

S-S

Wilma

I noticed a little thing that impressed me.  The Obamas and the Bidens were standing together waiting for the helicopter carrying the Bushes to leave.  The President and Mrs. Obama were holding hands, as usual.  The Bidens were a couple of steps away from Mrs. Obama, when Mrs. Obama reached over, put her arm around Mrs. Biden's waist and pulled her over close to her.  Vice-president Biden then moved closer to his wife.  It made quite a united picture, Mrs. Obama with her arm around Mrs. Biden, the gentlemen within arm's reach of each other.

Judy Harder

For the record, I am very proud to be an American today..........and just know that finally America has come
out of the Black Ages and I am looking forward to see what happens tomorrow.

No, I didn't vote for Obama, but since he has been elected (and sworn in) I will keep him in my prayers and give
him the benefit of doubt.

I must say, I am warm and dry and don't have to worry about how I am going to get out of there and go home.

I am having a hard time staying at my computer today, and keep turning to the television.

That is what so great about being an American, we all have the right to voice our oppion.
God bless America and our NEW PRESIDENT.
God keep him and his family safe.
Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

sixdogsmom

I think there is mutual respect there. Jill, Joe Bidens' wife strikes me as just a little shy. I do think the two couples get on well together though. God bless our new president and vice president. And God bless America!
Edie

W. Gray

During the inaugural ceremony at the Capitol, it might be interesting to know how many people watching noticed each of the service's flags when they came in as part of the National color guard.

There were a myriad of 3 x 36 inch silk ribbons or streamers attached to the top of each service's flag. Those streamers are there for a purpose.

In the military, the United States flag is not called "The Colors," unless there is a yellow fringe around the entire edge of the flag. When the colors are represented, as in a color guard, a yellow-fringed service flag is also present.

Each of the streamers represents a major campaign that the service has fought from 1776 to the present.

When you get down to the division level, say Fort Riley, the service flag has a streamer representing each of the major battles the Big Red One has participated in.

I first became aware of campaign streamers in the late fifties at the The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. The college flag has eight streamers attached. Each represents a battle the college fought during the Civil War.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk