Well today is the day.....................

Started by pam, January 20, 2009, 08:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I was surprised to learn that the 1964 Johnson inauguration attracted the most people up until today. I would have thought John F. Kennedy would have drawn more. He was another Messiah, of sorts.

The first televised inaugural was Truman's in 1948. We missed it because we did not get a TV until 1949. Even so, there was no nationwide TV broadcast hookup until 1951 when they used micro wave towers to broadcast the feed into local studios.

One of the features on the Edward R Murrow show was a symbolic split screen picture of the Brooklyn Bridge in New York and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. I can remember being excited about the split screen but then was not sure why I was.

The first color broadcast of an inaugural was Kennedy's in 1961. I missed that one in color because the sets were so expensive; it was in the seventies before I purchased a 12-inch color TV.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

I doubt if that moon rover that came along at the end of the Inaugural Parade will ever see the light of Obama's day.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Nothing like fair & unbiased coverage of the news

Headlines On This Date 4 Years Ago:
"Republicans spending $42 million on inauguration while troops die in unarmored Humvees"
"Bush extravagance exceeds any reason during tough economic times"
"Fat cats get their $42 million inauguration party, Ordinary Americans get the shaft"

Headlines Today:
"Historic Obama Inauguration will cost only $120 million" (note: Times of London says $240 million)
"Obama Spends $120 million on inauguration; America Needs A Big Party"
"Everyman Obama shows America how to celebrate"
"Citibank executives contribute $8 million to Obama Inauguration"

***The MSM never fails to amaze me.*** :P
And ahhhhh... Wasn't CitiBank one of the bailout donees?   ::)   Nice!  ::)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Catwoman

Oooooooohhhhhh...this is enough to make me nauseous.

Teresa

The whole Obama 3 ring  circus makes me nauseous...

But then again........ you know $120,000,000 isn't as much money as it used to be. ::)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk