Which candidate is right?

Started by Wilma, September 25, 2008, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catwoman

I am glad that someone other than me feels that way.  I, too, hold the flag as being a secularly sacred object...the entire world sees it and knows that it stands for freedom, whether or not they agree with it.  That alone tells you the importance of the object...no one would bother to burn it or stomp it into the dust if it weren't such a hugely important symbol in the world.  Those that treat it shabily (allowing it to fly during inclement weather, not lighting it at night, allowing it to drag on the ground) demean its place in this nation.  I have long wondered why there is not a course taught in school about flag etiquette.  We've had those who were up in arms over whether or not the Pledge was being said...how about something even more basic...the flag we wave?

ELK@KC

SDM, That is funny coming from you, since you are the number one name caller on the forum.  Instead of just disagreeing with the subject,You seem to enjoy putting down people that disagree with you. Besides I can't think of any thing you can say about Bill Clinton that is bad or that he doesn't deserve, certainly Hillbilly Mafia is something the majority of Americans would agree with. I thought it was a pretty neat suggestion.

pam

I get tickled by this stuff. Clinton, Carter, Bush 1, Reagan, FDR or Kennedy for that matter. They are ALL part of the past, they were all just men, they all had faults, they all had and have skeletons.

Presidents make suggestions......Congress passes or doesn't pass laws. Presidents can veto bills, but Congress can override them.
Y'all want to point fingers at who's to blame for the fix we find ourselves in, point your fingers at EVERY REPUBLICAN, DEMOCRAT, or INDEPENDANT ever elected to Congress. More than a few of whom were corrupt, greedy, irresponsible, and downright stupid.

Y'all want somthin to get done right quit electin CAREER politicians! A career politician is the ULTIMATE salesman, his job depends on makin you think he has YOUR best interests at heart. Only interest they have at heart is their own!

Everybody has their favorite president and their president they blame for everything, but in reality WE are to blame. We elected the bums, ALL of em. WE never stood up and said wait just a friggin minute when they did things we didn't like. All anybody ever does is sit around and piss and moan and call anybody who doesn't agree with em stupid or worse lol.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

sixdogsmom

Quote from: ELK@KC on September 28, 2008, 08:07:10 AM
SDM, That is funny coming from you, since you are the number one name caller on the forum.  Instead of just disagreeing with the subject,You seem to enjoy putting down people that disagree with you. Besides I can't think of any thing you can say about Bill Clinton that is bad or that he doesn't deserve, certainly Hillbilly Mafia is something the majority of Americans would agree with. I thought it was a pretty neat suggestion.

S000 ---when did I call someone a name? I am calling you on this one!  >:( >:(
Edie

greatguns

Pam, you are so right.  We have a limit on terms for President, but our congressmen get in and stay for 20,40 years or life.

pam

Yeah GG, some of em stay way past the time when they would have already relegated us to the old folks home for diminished mental faculty lol, but people keep reelectin em.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

jerry wagner

I am going to step in the hot water here, but if the people continue to elect them, then I think they should be able to run again.  If the people are unaware enough to continue to vote for people that are not serving their interest, then that is the risk we take in a democracy.  Furthermore, I don't think the Presidency should be term-limited, once again if the people vote to elect the person then that is the action to override the term limit.  You want a democracy, take with it the risks and allow the people to decide.

flo

Quote from: jerry wagner on September 28, 2008, 11:52:15 AM
Furthermore, I don't think the Presidency should be term-limited,

You have got to be kidding ! ! ! ! !
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

The presidency was not term limited until FDR was elected for the 4th time.  It didn't seem to hurt us then and I don't seem to remember why it was thought that there should be a term limit.

sixdogsmom

Quote from: Wilma on September 28, 2008, 01:10:30 PM
The presidency was not term limited until FDR was elected for the 4th time.  It didn't seem to hurt us then and I don't seem to remember why it was thought that there should be a term limit.

I agree Wilma, I agree!
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk