Confederate Veterans buried in Kansas

Started by gcrebel, July 31, 2008, 12:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcrebel

Chautauqua County

Jenkins, Samuel H.   Co. F LA 9th Infantry   (Ceder Vale Cemetery - Ceder Vale)
Cardin, James M.      Co. B 59th Tennessee Mtd Inf   (De Busk Cemetery - Elgin)
Wilson, James Reed  Texas Home Guard   (Wilson Cemetery - Elgin)
Harris, Zachariah Taylor  Co. A 5TH GA Reserves   (Fairview Cemetery - Niotaze)
Dyer, William S.   Co E. 25th VA Inf   (Crum Cemetery - Sedan)
Bowers, James C.   *unconfirmed, unit undetermined (Greenwood Cemetery - Sedan)
Hobson, W.T.   Co F. NC 1st Jr Reserves   (Spring Creek Cemetery - Sedan)

There is also a James McDonald Peters who I have seen on rootsweb that died at Sedan (no date mentioned) that was a Confederate...his wife, May (or Malia) Peters (maiden name Bowers) is buried at Casement Cemetery, but apparantly no mention of his burial is there.

Due to number, it will take me awhile to get the Elk County veterans into a more friendly format. 

W. Gray

I was hoping I could would have came across some of these individuals from research, but I dont recognize any of these fellows.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

gcrebel

Elk County

Brundage, Albert   2nd Texas Partisan Rangers   (Longton Cemetery - Longton)
Burdette, John Jackson   3rd VA Cavalry   (Green Lawn Cemetery - Grenola)
Cox, Elbert S.   Co. C 34th AR Infantry (Salem AKA Fairview Cemetery)
Divine, Robert McGaughey   Co.K  IT 1st Cherokee Cavalry   (Grace Lawn Cemetery - Howard)
Gobble, Thomas    Washington Co VA Mil Infantry   (Green Lawn Cemetery - Grenola)
Ruddle, James H.   Co. 2F 62nd VA Mounted Inf.   (Moline Cemetery - Moline)
Sooter, James Madison   Co. B AR Inf Cocke's Regiment   (Green Lawn Cemetery - Grenola)
Thompson, Solon Francis   Co K. 8th KY Cavalry   (Mt Olivet Cemetery - Moline)
Wicker, Alson G.   Co. D 57th NC Inf   (Elk Falls Cemetery - Elk Falls)
Wilson, Charles Franklin   Co. B 59th TN Mtf Inf   (Moline Cemetery - Moline)
Wilson, Elijah M.   Co. K  62nd TN Mtd Inf   (Moline Cemetery - Moline)
Chaffin, Francis Marion   *Unit undetermined  (Ames Chapel Cemetery)
Hooper, William   *need confirmation, probably served in TX   (Unknown Burial Location) Drowned in River, Lived at Longton in 1885
Hughes, John Addison   * Unit undetermined    (Oak Valley Cemetery - Oak Valley)
Ivey, John Henry   *Unit undetermined   (Mt Zion Cemetery)
McDaniels, J.W.   *Unit undetermined   (Grace Lawn Cemetery - Howard)

If anyone knows of additional information, or Confederate veterans, any help is appreciated!

W. Gray

I will keep my eye out.

The only name I recognize is Ivey, but cannot place him at the moment.

The Thompson fellow is Catholic if buried at Mt Olivet and may have lived in Boston at one time just south of Moline. There were a number of Thompson's in that area, at least until the town fell apart.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

gcrebel

John Henry Ivey has an interesting history.  I had to check into him, not knowing at the time he was a Confederate veteran, just because of the surname Ivey.  John Henry Ivey was born in 1851, and I did not figure him to have served, but his obituary surprised me and stated he joined after his father was killed at Vicksburg, and he later was a member of the Wichita Confederate Camp No. 1350, made up of Confederate veterans in the area.

I had seen a mention of Francis Marion Chaffin on the forums here previously.

frawin

Betty Ivey from Fall River is buried in Mt Zion and it is likely that the Civil War Soldier, Ivey was her husband's family. Betty was Bill Riley  from Moline's daughter, her  brother was Rex Riley the cattle Buyer in the Elk, Greenwood, Cowley and Wilson county area. Betty ahd a sister, Isabel Bowser that lived NW of Howard. Some of Betty's family could probably shed a lot more light on the civil war soldier buried in Mt Zion.
Frank

Ms Bear

The newspaper obituary that was posted under obituaries for Mrs Wm Glasscock, former Rosa Hubbard Draper was the daughter of a Civil War Soldier from New York.  William Hubbard is buried in Grace Lawn Cemetery at Howard,  Section 7- Plot 315 - Space 3.

William and Sarah Hubbard were my greatgreatgrandparents.

dnalexander

Quote from: gcrebel on August 01, 2008, 11:27:31 AM
Elk County
Cox, Elbert S.   Co. C 34th AR Infantry (Grace Lawn Cemetery - Howard?)

Uncle Frank is Elbert S. Cox any part of Grandma's family. Also, there is a Cox connection on my Dad's side.

David

frawin

No David, I am pretty sure he is not. I have pretty good information on the generation that would be. Remember that also Grandpa Winn's mother was a Cox as well. Both your Grandpa Winns and your Grandma Winns' Grandfathers were Quaker Ministers.

gcrebel

It looks like I have a couple corrections on the Elk County Confederates (and I will edit the previous post as to reflect such as well).  I looked at some transcription books today at the Kansas Genealogical Society Library in Dodge City, and it shows Elbert S. Cox as being buried in the Salem (AKA Fairview) Cemetery.  Unfortunately, I cannot find that cemetery listed anywhere, unless it is one of these on a D.O.T map that is just listed as an unnamed cemetery. Is anyone familier with this cemetery?

William Hooper, who was reported to have lived at Longton and drowned in a river after falling in, I had down as Longton Cemetery, with a ?.  I did not find him listed in any cemetery, so he may have been buried elsewhere, or an unmarked location.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk