Howard Old Bank Building - What would you like done with it.....

Started by L Hendricks, July 29, 2008, 07:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

Why not, we could move you back one block north.  It is a much cooler place to work, especially in the winter.   It still says bank on the top. 

How about just skimming off the top and building a couple of spires?  The old building looked so good. 

pepelect

The new owners of the Bank Building came to the Howard Chamber meeting and although most had already left, asked the for the help of the citizens for a community use for the building.  Something that would benifit the entire populus but not burden it for financing.  Ideas need to be in keeping the architectual uniqueness of the building. 

Joanna

Yes! It was good to hear the positive attitude from the folks there.  They are checking into getting the roof done first, since that's so important in saving the building.  I know I'm putting some thought into what will work in that particular beautiful building, be a benefit for the community, and not a financial stress to keep going.

Catwoman

Quote from: Rudy Taylor on August 15, 2008, 02:10:10 PM
I believe the old bank building could function as a professional complex, composed of small, affordable office spaces.

That way, the revenue for the owner would be coming from a larger base of renters.

As an example, I might put a small newspaper office in the building, but obviously, it would not be staffed all the time --- probably a part-timer who could give us an Elk County presence.

I'm sure there are others.  None of us would want an expensive layout --- but if we had 5 or 6 businesses or professional offices, it might occupy a good portion of the street floor.  I would think that would leave plenty of space for other business opportunities that have previously been mentioned.

Maybe an Elk Konnected office would be another occupant.

Rudy
Kind of an Office This concept, eh?  Well, Kent could have a space there for the Farm Management office, Elk Konnected would have a space, how about some of the real estate personages and insurance businesses?  You could move the Extension office there, too, as there would be better parking and a larger venue to hold meetings in.  You could also offer it as a place for Greenbush to come and hold seminars for the classified staff.  What about putting an SRS office there?  What other services are needed and would come if there was an available working space for them to set up shop in?  Oh...and you could have a really big Community Center there, since there's got to still be big space in that place that was the kitchen...you could go to some professional-level stoves and such second-hand and refurbish the kitchen so that it could be used on a larger level for the community.  And, couldn't you designate some of that space for the wellness center that you all have been pining for?  You could have one person there at all times, to keep the facility open...I'm envisioning lots of Cocoon moments with people getting rejuvenated! lol

Rudy Taylor

Good stuff, Catwoman.

Since I don't live in Howard, I'll mostly keep my mouth shut. But I still believe it would be wise to fill the building with small offices or shops.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

lola330

If people who already have offices in town move to the old bank building and form an office complex, then main street will look worse, not better.  What we will have more empty storefronts filled with crap, unattended targets for rock throwing and pigeon poop. 

What should happen if and when the bank building begins to be saved is that everyone else on main street should be motivated to improve their storefronts.  There is a lot of deferred maintenance already occurring on main street.  In addition, there  are currently  buildings on main street that are left to sit unoccupied until the roofs cave in and the windows are broken, the floors warp and walls buckle.  It goes beyond simple renovation.  Some of those buildings should be condemned.  Who can afford to come in and perform all the repairs and updates necessary to start a small business in town?  The last thing we need is another empty storefront on main street.

We need to offer a service that people currently go out of town to receive.  We need to cater to families and their needs and budgets.  We don't need a professional level kitchen.  Go to the Cox building if you need space with a kitchen.   You can rent the elementary schools for space and a kitchen. 

A wellness center would not need a person there all the time if people paid an annual fee and received a key card.  A youth center downstairs and a wellness center upstairs would be awesome.  A youth center could be operated on weekends or some evenings by volunteers or a part-time employee.

Tobina+1

I think the building would work great as a retail store downstairs and office area upstairs.  I think to have some attractive, small, office space to bring in outside business would be good.  E.G.  Prairie Star office.  It can be a type of co-op business space; everyone pay rent and get to use the copy/ fax machine, etc. 
As we are finding out with our Wellness center research... 2 floors = elevator = >50K.  (no joke)  If it is private offices, they might not require an elevator.  If it's a public wellness center or youth center, it would probably require one.
I agree about moving existing businesses in town and creating more empty buildings, but some of those buildings might work as a larger space for another business looking to move/relocate.  But, as we attract more people to the county, small office spaces (that they can move right into without doing anything to the building) might be a draw. 

OK, side rant... who cares what our downtown main street looks like if we don't have anything to "guide" people that direction???  Where are the billboards/signs along the highway directing people downtown?  Where is our "Howard Pride" that makes people want to slow down under 55 mph when driving through town and make 1 or 2 turns along the way? 

lola330

The owners of the bank building are Tom and Myra Devlin.  They have stated that whatever the community wants they are willing to pay the "lion's share" of expenses.  (That is a direct quote)  I am sure if an elevator is needed, one would be provided.

The good thing about brainstorming is that there are no limits. 

Isn't there a committee in the Chamber of Commerce that is supposed to work on a sign on the highway?  A lot of people take a ride to shop and eat on Saturdays.  What would they find on a Saturday afternoon to keep them in Howard long enough to spend some money?

And don't get me started on that Chamber.  Their biggest draw is a festival that stops people before they even get into town where the businesses (also known as commerce) are located. How is that helpful?  The businesses should be featured.

They make a big deal out giving a "citizen of the year" award.   It is not a social club.  It is the Chamber of Commerce.  The business of the year should be awarded, not a citizen. 

What kind of retail store are you thinking?

Tobina+1

Very good points, lola.  I just didn't know if people realized how expensive an elevator is; I sure didn't until recently!
I'm one of those people that when they drive into a town, if there is a cute sign for a business, I'm likely to stop in.  That's why I think a sign on the highway is important!  Drive people into the downtown area!  Unfortunately, the downtown area is quite a ways from the highway, and there really isn't a natural flow to get people there.  So you have to have some "excitement" on the highway to draw interest. 
Ahh... very interesting thought... we were talking on the Elk River Fest thread about getting the booths to an area where people can see them/get to them better.  How about along the down-town streets in front of the non-business buildings?  (OK we need to fix some sidewalks first, though)
I was thinking something like the Red Buffalo down in Sedan.  They have an office above that store (very, very nice).  And the store itself has all sorts of things... from purses, belts, house decor to a coffee shop and then a small antique store connected to it, too.  I think they even have a screen printing business for local sports shirts and hats?  Or they used to, anyway... it might be an art gallery now.

S-S

The festival used to be held on main street. I liked it that way. Everything was in the same area and you didn't have to travel all over to view different things. I do not like it being on the courthouse lawn, I never have.

I would like to see the offices on the 2nd floor as well. Maybe a small daycare - I know we have 2 but I have heard people say that Howard could use another. The retail space is an excellent idea also. There is an old nursing home in Eureka that has been converted into a retail shop. Each room is rented by a business or craft vendor or even antique dealers. I think that's a wonderful idea.

I agree Tobina, we DO need an advertisement for Howard out on the highway. People just speed through and miss it. Once someone asked me where I was from and I told them a little town called Howard they had probably never heard of...BUT - they had! They said - oh, the little town with Toot's on the highway? Toot's is so popular - lets advertise there. Lets put up a billboard at 99/400. Handmade soap, old-fashioned soda fountain....

The only reason I go out of town is to go to the doctor, and...WalMart. There's other reasons I go out of town - but none of them would make sense in the old bank building. For example - Can you put the Hostess bread shop in El Dorado in the building? What about a smoke shop - Billy loves the occasional cigar.. . I'm sure the smoke shop could be doable but how popular is that? I also spend large amounts of money on my scrapbooking hobby, I have to go out of town for that. I can't get scrapbooking merchandise here. Same with quilting fabric and sewing notions. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk