first day of school

Started by heather_tyler_2014, July 20, 2008, 12:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Diane Amberg

Hey Heather, after school starts, may I grade your spelling when you post on the forum? ;D ;D ;D

flo

Quote from: aamiller321 on August 17, 2008, 02:15:17 PM
0mG 7h47 1z cR4zy!
[/quote]

Don't think we speak that language on this forum
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

I think ya have to be able to text message to read that one! 8) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wilma

I am too old to text message.  I don't own a cell phone and I prefer that my phone be attached to a cord.  Did you know that cell phone messages are just as easily intercepted as radio messages?  Better be careful what you say.

Jane

Could we leave text messaging for the phones. Texting is teaching our children the incorrect way to spell words that are used in everyday writing. You can tell that by some of the replies on the forum and how bad the spelling is.
Now that I have posted this I hope I have everything spelled right.

Army Mom

Catwoman

Me-yowch!  Even this divine kitty has moments where there are words that get spelled incorrectly, due to being in such a dither when trying to type while thinking at the same time.  I think the kids can spell better than they're letting on...and I would suspect there are some adults who are deliberately spelling words in a funky fashion, just to throw the hounds off of the scent.  Now, that having been said, I also agree that texting seems to have created a truly wierd way to send messages.  I have not seen any studies done, though, that have related the use of texting to the degredation of students' abilities to write legibly.  Has anyone out there read anything regarding this? 

Joanna

I think that many of our school kids are bi-lingual.  Most can use at least marginally good grammar when it's required, and texting is completely different language. 
I don't mean I like it (I can't even read half of it!) and I certainly think a majority have a lot left to learn about English; but texting is useful to them in their own little worlds.  I'm a little jealous that I don't know what they are saying, but there are things I know that they'll never understand either.

Also, if people are going to start texting here on the Forum, they should provide translations, IMO (in my opinion :laugh:) Maybe I've learned a little of it after all  ::)

Wilma

Maybe if they want their posts read they could just use the good oldfashioned English, spelled correctly of course, so we old ones don't have to guess at what they mean.  It is beyond me to understand why anyone wants to be considered less than what they are.  I was taught to always do my best and to expect the best from others.  A bit of proofreading does wonders but isn't fool proof as proven by the errors that Flintauqua caught of mine.

srkruzich

Quote from: flo on August 17, 2008, 05:07:51 PM
Quote from: aamiller321 on August 17, 2008, 02:15:17 PM
0mG 7h47 1z cR4zy!

Don't think we speak that language on this forum
[/quote]

Its easy
they said Oh My God, that is Crazy
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

How in the world do you get "that" from "7h47"?  Wouldn't it be easier to simply type "that"?  And why go to the trouble of "cR4zy" when "crazy" is easier to type?  If they can learn a language like that, then why not learn French or Spanish or any of the other foreign languages that might benefit them in the future?  You might include English with that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk