Mind Boggle

Started by Teresa, June 02, 2006, 09:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

HOW DO THEY DO THIS?  It works, but how?  Anyone have the answer??

This will boggle your mind. Take your time and follow the
instructions.  Have fun!!

After reading each window, CLICK ON THE BOY in the lower right corner.
In the last window type in your numbers in the white box using the
keyboard  (there is NO curser)

You will be amazed....and NO I don't know how it's  done .  ???

http://digicc.com/fido/

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

I got 2 responses from this one... One was from my nephew "Young Mark" ( the reason we call him that is very obvious when you see and know his uncle.. ) hee hee hee ;)
Anyway... here is what he told me..

The numbers are divisible by 9. So... lets say you choose 4352. Rearrange it to 5234. Subtract the two to get 882. Say you choose 8 so you will put 82 into the space. The way they figure up 8 is this...

8+2 = 10

The final number needs to equal a number that is divisible by 9. The next number up that is divisible by 9 is 18 so the difference is 8... the number you chose. If you chose 2 you're left with 16. 8 -16 = 2.

Pretty cool huh?

Mark

And then I got this also from Andy...a member of our forum..

Hi,
it's pure mathematics !

Try it with a simple number, e.g. 1112
and you will get 1000.
If you omitt the zeros, there is only one number left.
by typing your result, except the one you picked,
there is only one number left.
Easy, if you know how it works. but nice.

~~~~ I hope neither one of them cared if I shared this with you all...
I just LOVE smart people, and what they have to say......  8)
Thank you both for taking the time to give me the information.
Next time please don't be so shy..and post it on the forum yourselves.  ;)

Teresa

Here is a new one!!!

Click on the link below:

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/games/magic-gopher-central.swf

Now I realize what numbers can do.. but come on folks.. I am not clicking on anything... I am only  THINKING!!!??!!!
This really amazes me.. but maybe I am easily amazed... :-\

admin

Quote from: Teresa on June 27, 2006, 12:38:54 PM
I am only  THINKING!!!??!!!
This really amazes me.. but maybe I am easily amazed... :-\[/b]

:-X I believe this is where I have learned to not say anything.
;)

W. Gray

Nines seem to have a lot of magic in mathematics. My seventh grade school teacher in the early 1950s taught us how to prove a multiplication problem answer as correct by casting out nines.

While it seems like a lot of extra hard work to prove an answer, once I got the gist, it came fast and I never had another wrong multiplication problem. I still use it today whenever I dont have a calculator handy.

Multiplying 375 x 725 gives an answer of 271,875.

In the above problem, add the digits of the first number to get 15, then subtract 9 leaving 6.

Add the digits of the second number to get 14, then subtract out 9 leaving 5.

Then multiply the two answers of 6 and 5 to get 30. Subtract out all 9's, in this case 27, to get 3.

Then add the digits in the answer to get 30. Subtract out all 9's, in this case 27, to get 3. Since 3 equals 3, the multiplication is correct. Works every time.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

Quote from: W. Gray on July 10, 2006, 04:02:13 PM
Nines seem to have a lot of magic in mathematics. My seventh grade school teacher in the early 1950s taught us how to prove a multiplication problem answer as correct by casting out nines.
While it seems like a lot of extra hard work to prove an answer, once I got the gist, it came fast and I never had another wrong multiplication problem. I still use it today whenever I dont have a calculator handy.
Multiplying 375 x 725 gives an answer of 271,875.
In the above problem, add the digits of the first number to get 15, then subtract 9 leaving 6.
Add the digits of the second number to get 14, then subtract out 9 leaving 5.
Then multiply the two answers of 6 and 5 to get 30. Subtract out all 9’s, in this case 27, to get 3.
Then add the digits in the answer to get 30. Subtract out all 9’s, in this case 27, to get 3. Since 3 equals 3, the multiplication is correct. Works every time.

???  ???  ???

:'(  I am sooooooo lost on that one. :'(

W. Gray

Works for subtraction also.

468,745 - 327, 395 = 141,350.

Add the digits of the first number, 468,745, and you get 34. Cast out the nines. In this case, there are three 9s, which equals 27. 34 minus 27 equals 7.

Add the digits of the second number, 327,395, and you get 29. Cast out nines leaving 2.

7-2 equals 5.

Add the digits of the answer, 141,350, to get 14. Cast out the only nine and the answer is 5.

Since 5 equals 5, the answer of 141,350 is correct.

Works equally well for addition and division.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk