Where are Pictures of the Ice?

Started by giester2, December 11, 2007, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giester2

As ya'll may know...I am in Houston, wearing shorts and a Tshirt.  I keep hearing about all the ice and sleet (Oklahoma has an inch of ice on everything?) and was wondering how Elk County was doing.  Is it just enough to make things nasty or do you have a winter wonderland? 
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

Janet Harrington

What we have in Elk County is a big mess.  It is raining, but it is also 33 degrees outside, so it is melting on the ground.  Messy, messy, messy.  Nothing pretty about this stuff.  You have to watch how you drive because of the slush on the streets.

Wilma

The ice was pretty last night with the street lights shining through it but I am not going out on it at 11:00pm to take pictures.

Tobina+1

It's very odd out today... raining cats and dogs!  We're 1 degree above freezing, so only certain things are getting ice on them (thank goodness).  We have a couple trees with ice, but the rest don't (maybe the ones that are more exposed to the breeze so it's colder on them?).  Cars don't have ice on them yet.  Puddles of rain on top of the snow.  That's going to cause a mess, because the rain can't soak into the ground, so it's just going to cause an ice rink when the temps do drop!  Chuck just drove out into the pasture, and he left pretty deep mud tracks, so it doesn't look like the ground is frozen, either.  But we must be in a pocket, because I've heard everywhere around us is covered in ice.  Maybe it's all this hot air from the forum?   ;)

Janet Harrington

Tobina,

How did you know about the hot air from the forum?  I didn't think it went all the way west of town.  Now you know why there are puddles on top of the ice.

Tobina+1

Janet; as you can see, I am now a SR MEMBER, so I adequately contribute my own amount of hot air to this forum!  You and Teresa don't have that ability cornered on your own!   :P

indygal

Folks, that must be one heck of a big bubble of hot air ... we're in southeast Wichita and all it's doing is raining here, too! Although, as Tobina said, there are trees with some ice, but so far most roads are clear and we haven't lost power. Of course, that's all subject to change. I just hope the baby trees we planted at Harmony this fall are doing OK.

Tobina+1

Chuck said the Wichita radio station said the East side of Wichita is 1 degree above freezing and getting rain.  The West side of Wichita is 1 degree below freezing and ICE, ICE, ICE.  Our hot air apparently doesn't have the reach to get all the way across Wichita.

Teresa

Quote from: Tobina Norris on December 11, 2007, 12:37:27 PM
Chuck said the Wichita radio station said the East side of Wichita is 1 degree above freezing and getting rain.  The West side of Wichita is 1 degree below freezing and ICE, ICE, ICE.  Our hot air apparently doesn't have the reach to get all the way across Wichita.

Talk a little more and a little louder Ta Ta.  ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

frawin

We had quite a lot of ice here in Bartlesville, but NOTHING compared to south of here.  We went to Owasso last evening to finish our Christmas shopping.  Had seen the ice on Sunday, but last evening was unbelievable.  the trees between here and there are still covered with ice, as is the hills.  The trees are broken, looks like a war zone.  They are working as fast as they can to restore power, but said the trees are so brittle that it is causing problems and now they are forecasting a heavy snow for the area.  They say some crews have orders that they may be working until the New Year!  Some of the problem is that part of the meters at the houses have been damaged and they are out of them, so even though there is power, it cannot be connected back to the homes.  We are so very thankful that we have had power through all of this. 

We went to get our driver's licenses changed the other day and couldn't do it because the computers in OKC were still down.  I just can't imagine how bad it is for some people.

Myrna

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk