My Travels

Started by Tobina+1, November 29, 2007, 11:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

OK, you asked for it...
Yesterday and today I attended the KLA (Kansas Livestock Association) convention and tradeshow in Wichita, KS.  I had a tradeshow booth for my company, but we didn't end up in a very good location of the show and the traffic volume was very low.  I am staying in the Hotel at Oldtown... BEAUTIFUL!  It used to be an old warehouse where they made Keen Kutter tools.  My room has a balcony that overlooks the atrium area.  They have poinsettias everywhere, including about 6 on my little balcony.  They have advertisements, old tools, and other things in lots of display areas arond the hotel that gives the history of the old building.  All the decorations are very victorian and the room is beautiful.  Too bad I never get to spend much time in the hotel room when I'm working!
Next week I'll be in Springfield, MO for the Missouri Cattlemen's Convention, but I doubt I'll be staying in such a fancy hotel, so my report may not be as interesting.
Tomorrow, I'm working on Christmas shopping while I'm in town!

Wilma

Tobina, thank you for taking me into Old Town and the old Keen Kutter building.  These are things that I probably will never get to do.  I have wondered if the old building had been turned into something useful and from your description, I would say that it has.  When you get back from Kansas City, I hope you will help me visit where you have been.

Rudy Taylor

My wife and I stayed at the Oldtown Hotel last month while attending the Kansas Book Festival in Wichita. It was
a wonderful experience!  You'd be surprised how many celebrities stay there when they visit Wichita. One anchorman for PBS comes
there frequently to work on a book he is writing. For the life of me, I can't remember his name.

Enjoy!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Roma Jean Turner

Hey Tobina, I live in Springfield, MO.  Hope you have a good time here.

Tobina+1

The tradeshow and convention is at the Springfield Expo Center, and I'll be staying at the University Plaza Hotel, right across the street.  Not sure I'll get the time to enjoy much of Springfield, but if I get a chance to go shopping; do you have any suggestions, Roma Jean?

Roma Jean Turner

I know exactly where that is, on St. Louis Street.  If you go west on St. Louis Street you will end up in the downtown square.  There are places to eat and shop down there.  More boutique kinds of places.  One of my patients was telling me about a shop called Pastiche that she thought was really neat.  I haven't been there yet, but it wouldn't be to far from where you would be.  She said it is at the corner of Walnut and Jefferson, SE side of the street by the YMCA.  You could go west on St. Louis to Jefferson, (just a few blocks), then turn left or south and Walnut is just a block or two. 

The Battlefield Mall is further away, but that is the biggest shopping mall.  Has lots of shops as well as Penny's, Dillard's, Sears, Macy's etc.  Has a food mall and all of that.  It is at the corner of Battlefield and Glenstone.  From where you would be staying you would go east on St. Louis a few blocks to Glenstone, then turn right or south.  You would stay right on Glenstone for quite a few blocks.  When you go through the intersection at Sunshine you would only be a block from my office, but keep on going.  After you pass the big cemetary on your right, you will almost be there.  I don't think you would have any problem seeing it.....the right hand side of the street.....Battlefield and Glenstone.

Diane Amberg

You guys talking about Springfield just gave me a happy flash back.  Many, many years ago when my sister and I were going to Kansas by train, to visit family, we saw a very familiar looking older lady in the seat across from us.  She realized we recognized her and we had a nice chat.  She was going to Springfield. It was Marion Lorne ( Mrs. Gurney in Mr. Peepers.) She also played in some of the ''Bewitched'' shows. Some of you might be too young to remember her. ;) :D Have a great time Tobina.

Tobina+1

Thanks, Roma Jean!  I do prefer the fun little boutiques and downtown businesses; can find a mall in most any town.

W. Gray

Diane,

I certainly remember Mrs. Gurney and the show. It was aired live.

Mr. Peepers was one of the few 1950s TV shows that my dad enjoyed and Mrs. Gurney was one of the few female actors he liked.

The show ran from 1952 to 1955. Both Mrs. Guerny, English, and Mr. Peepers, science, were teachers at Jefferson Junior High School.

Another teacher was Mr. Peepers girl friend.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

Wasn't Eve Arden the principal on that show?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk