PARKER, Evan Seam - b. May 1, 1980 - d. October 26, 2005

Started by Janet Harrington, February 01, 2006, 10:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

How many of you knew that Danny Parker, who grew up here in Howard, had lost a son in the war in Iraq?  I didn't until tonight when I watched Danny on Channel 12 news talk about Fred Phelps and the protests that he and his group do at the funerals of soldiers.  Here is Evan's obit from the Arkansas City paper.  This happened in Oct. 2005.

SERGEANT EVAN SEAM PARKER

Sergeant Evan Seam Parker, 25, who was serving his country in Iraq, died Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2005. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2005, at South Haven Public School Gymnasium in South Haven. Pastor Michael Roberts of the South Haven Methodist Church will officiate. Entombment will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery, South Haven, preceding the services. Friends may call at the funeral home from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Born May 1, 1980, in Wichita, he was the son of Daniel M. and Anita F. Parker. He joined the U.S. Army in May 1999 and was stationed at Scholfield Army Barracks, Wahiawa, Hawaii, until he was honorably discharged in 2003. He was recalled to active duty in November 2004 and went to Iraq in March 2005. During that time he was promoted to Sergeant. In May 2005, with a minor injury, Evan was awarded his first Purple Heart. On Oct. 23, 2005, he was critically injured by a roadside bomb while performing vehicle checks with his unit. He was awarded his second purple heart, but died from those injuries at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany. Survivors include two sons, Blake and Conner; mother, Anita Foster, father and stepmother, Danny and Tanya Parker; brothers, Lance, Caleb;, Andre and Brian; and grandmother, Opal Dunlap. He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Edward Dunlap and John and Ruby Parker.

A memorial has been established in the name of Evan S. Parker, Sergeant, U.S. Army in care of Army Fisher House in Landstuhl, Germany. Arrangements are under the direction of the Frank Funeral Home, Wellington.

Danny is a retired Wichita detective, was an instructor for KLETC, and is now the current chief of Police in Concordia, Kansas.

Carl Harrod

I didn't know and I am so very sorry to hear of their loss. It is probably every parents nightmare to loose a child no matter what the circumstances might be. As a society though, we need to be supportive of the families and friends who have lost a loved one and not to use their death to make a political statement. (Even the President should not have done that in his State of the Union address) We need to continue to honor those who are putting their lives at risk to support our country - not just the Military, but our Law enforcement, Fire fighters and Rescue workers too.
Please pass on my condolences to Evan's family.

plowboy

I went to school with Danny's older brothers & sister , but Danny was much younger.
  Sorry to hear of his son's death. :(

DanCookson

It is amazing to me that Fred Phelps is still alive.  The hatefull things that he spews from his mouth, and then he hides behind the vail of a church!!!

I feel pity and contempt for anyone who supports and belongs to that church.  I am a firm believer in freedom of choice, and religion, but practice it in your own building and homes. 

If that man and his followers picketed my families funeral of a loved one lost in war, the cemetary workers would have to dig a few more holes.

There is currently a bill that is being sponsered in the legislature that would put additional limits on these protests.  Please take the small amount of time to email your representative and support this.

To find your representative, click http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-legisportal/redistricting.do

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk