Nightmare for the Spelling Police

Started by Tobina+1, October 15, 2007, 09:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Only great minds can read this...  ;)

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Wilma

Spelling is important.  If you have not learned to spell the words how can you possibly read them?  And if you have a high profile job, are you going to be taken seriously if you can't spell correctly?  Actually, if you can't spell you are not going to get that high profile job.  Can you imagine documents being filed in court with spelling like that?  Spelling is important if for no other reason than that someone can come up with something like this.

Tobina+1

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more.  Kinda funny that I'm the spelling police for the company I work for, actually.  And grammar police, too.   :police:
I just got this in my e-mail this morning and thought it was appropriate for everyone to have a good laugh!  (And to see how many people can actually read it!)

Tobina+1

Oh, and one other thing that I believe is IMPERATIVE in getting/keeping/being successful in a high-powered job... PHONE MANNERS.  No one has phone manners anymore!   >:(  It is so frustrating to call a company and wonder if you even dialed the right number or who you're talking to.  Even at home, I think it's important. 
At work:  "AgInfoLink; this is Tobina.  How can I help you?"
Or when calling someong:  "This is Tobina Norris from AgInfoLink.  May I speak with XXXX?"
At home when we were little:  "Schmidt's, this is Tobina", or "Tobina Schmidt speaking" (we still answer our parent's phone this way when we're home!)
I tend to just say "hello" on my own phone now, b/c it's just Chuck and I.  "Most" people figure it out... but when we get kids, we'll make the switch.
I remember my grandma telling me that I had to inform a boy who called her house that he would have to identify himself on the phone if he wanted to talk to me in the future.  Grandma would point-blank ask, "well, who is this?"
(Sorry, Wilma and I can line up our soapboxes next to each other today!)

Diane Amberg

Hey, Tobina, ya spelled "someone" someong. Gotcha!  ;D ;D ;D

Tobina+1

Ha!  That's what I get for getting on the soapbox; all spelling and grammar go out the door in my passion!   ;)
I even proof-read that twice... and it took me 3 times through to find the error you were talking about!  Guess that's what happens when I read too fast, type too fast, soapbox too fast... (and try to forum and work at the same time!)
I'll have to S.....L.....O....W......D......O......W......N

So, just curious... how many people could actually read the original message quickly and understand it all?  Are we Forumers above average?

Wilma

No problem for me.  I learned to read before I started to school and reading is still one of my favorite things.  And I wasn't happy unless my spelling was perfect, too.  Besides, I have decided, we don't read the words.  We read the sentences.

Mom70x7

QuoteAre we Forumers above average?

Of course we are, that's why we're here!  :D  :D  :D

I answer our phone at home with a "Good morning, may I help you?" all the time (or Good evening / afternoon).
Foils many an unwanted sales call.  ;)

My kids were all taught to answer that way as well, or they weren't allowed to answer the phone.
Didn't matter to them until they were teens, then they all wanted to answer the phone.

And I make people identify themselves before I pass the phone on to others in the house.
That was great training for my kids. Most of them still have good manners.

With just the two of us at home, caller ID solves most of the problem of who the telephone call is for.
(That's assuming we remember to check it; we often don't.)

patyrn

I was able to decipher it.  Isn't our brain a complex organ?  The first and last letters of each of those jumbled words were correct, and even though the middle letters were all mixed up, most people can figure out the words and the meaning of the sentence.  Too bad it doesn't work that easily for children and adults who suffer from dyslexia.  Their entire reading world is in a jumble.  Very frustrating ..........

Janet Harrington

I could read it, but here is what I am wondering, Tobina.  Did you type all of that or did you cut and paste?  If you typed it, that would have been frustrating for me.  It is hard to type or write a word wrong for me.  When we are fast typists, we tend to have more typos rather than spelling errors.  Oh, what a weary life we lead that we worry so much about all of this.  But, we do and it is sure fun to poke at people when they don't get something right.  LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk