Need Identification

Started by Janet Harrington, August 24, 2007, 08:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Bonnie M. on September 07, 2007, 10:43:19 AM
Janet, I tried to send the pictures to Robert Thurston, one of the Horticulturist at the Wild Animal Park, to see if he could identify the plant.  Here is what he wrote:

For some reason, the pictures did not come through. The text of what they are is written on the bottom of the page but no attachments received. Try again as I would love to see them.

So, if you could e-mail the pictures to "rthurston@sandiegozoo.org" I'm sure he will try to identify the plant. 

Have a good day!

Bonnie,

Of course, I will.  Thanks.

Janet Harrington

The e-mail has been sent and we will await his answer. :laugh: :laugh:

Bonnie M.

The e-mail has been sent and we will await his answer

Robert doesn't work on the week-ends (usually,) so I'm sure it will be sometime next week before he answers.  So, we'll "wait and see!"
Bonnie

Janet Harrington

An answer came to my e-mail today from Robert Thurston, the friend of Bonnie M's.  Here is his answer about the plant.

Hello Janet:

I did a little research into Partridge Peas and this is what I found. Partridge Pea is  (or was until it was renamed) a member of the genus Cassia - many species of which are common ornamentals. Cassias have yellow flowers, clustered on the ends of branches. Since they are a legume, the seed pods are bean like (or pea like), and they have divided leaves. Most of the ornamental Cassias that I am familiar with are 6 - 10 ft tall but the pictures that you sent me sure look like miniature versions of the cassias that I am familiar with. I would agree that it is most probably a Partridge Pea. Cassias are a different type of legume than beans or Lupines -  they don't have that typical "sweet pea" type of flower with the typical banner and keel. Just for fun, the third sub-family of legumes are the Acacias - no petals at all. They all have "bean" pods though. Do Partridge Peas smell funny? Many of the ornamental Cassias (lots in South America) have a peculiar odor to the foliage? just curious.

Sincerely
Robert Thurston

Thank you Robert Thurston, and yes, forum members, I did thank him by e-mail and told him I was glad that Bonnie M. had a friend like him.

Wilma

I don't know about the fragrance of the flowers.  For some strange reason because I always smell flowers, I did not smell these flowers and now they are gone.  The plant, however, is going to stay and I will smell them next summer.  The seed pods smelled like shelling green peas.

Janet, is there any way you could send this to your Aunt June?

Janet Harrington

Bonnie M.

Janet, I had a note from my friend, Robert Thurston, also.  So, I think the mystery is resolved, or, maybe it always was!  Robert has a whole lot of knowledge, regarding plants!  I have a feeling that he enjoyed hearing from you, and providing an answer.
Bonnie

Janet Harrington

I think he did, too.  I enjoyed hearing from him and his words were just like he was my next door neighbor.

Bonnie M.

He's that kind of a person.  Never too busy to help out.
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk