Old Pictures

Started by Teresa, September 05, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Granny

Yes, I remember them owning the store.  Did Henry Beechner work for them or did he own it before them?  I remember him being in the store and always gave me red hots out of a big jar.  We had very little candy so this was a special treat!  We watched the stores burn from across the street.  I was very young but do remember it.  My Dad was holding me.  Believe the whole town was there watching it.  Quite a crowd anyway.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

My brother Neil was a Howard Fireman,he probably drove the Howard fire truck to this one. The Howard truck was a really old one, I remember around 1950 he drove the Howard truck to the fire in Severy when the elevator burned, they had to tow it back to Howard. It was a big deal when Howard got a new one in the early to mid 50's. The old one was 1930's era model.
I remember going to Moline when the Merc burned but don't remember if it was during or right after the fire was out.It really left a void in the town.
Frank

Ole Granny

Is this the Falls at Elk Falls with the mill?  Looks different.
Eskimo Legend

frawin

I really don't know, as I've never seen that picture before, but I'll send it to Mother and see if she thinks it is.  At any rate, it's a great picture!  These pictures are certainly treasures!

Myrna

Ole Granny

Where is this?
Eskimo Legend

Ole Granny

Last one?  Is this Moline with the Palace to the left and the water tower in the background?
Eskimo Legend

Roma Jean Turner

:o  Wow, what great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Jo McDonald

I remember well the way Moline looked in the 1940's  --- and how terrible the fire was that took it's toll on Moline and all of Elk County for that matter.  Great job of posting the pictures, Ole Granny.  Well done !!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Roma Jean Turner

I would have been 4 when that fire happened.  In my heart, Moline is always that town from my early childhood. Moline has lost so much from fire it seems.  My Greatgrandfather Elting lost his business in the fire of I believe 1911/12. They moved to Kansas City and he opened a pharmacy there for a few years.  Grandad Turner's house burned a number of years ago.  I still cling to the old lumbar yard for my childhood root.  I have to go in there every time I'm in town.

Konnie

Hi All,  I was referred to your Forum by the City Clerks Office in Moline.  I have a photo that has been in my family for years.  It belonged to my grandfather.  His father Joseph Snider is in the photo.  I'm not sure this is Moline, KS.  However my g grandfather Joseph Snider's brother's wife died in Moline, Kansas in 1882 according to our family records.  Her name was Mary Jane (Cate) Snider and was married to John Wesley Snider.  She was only 46 yrs old when she died.  Enough about that.
Now to the Photo.  The man standing in front of the man on the horse is my great grandfather Joseph Snider.  I don't know when the photo was taken, and am not sure it is even Moline, Kansas.
Maybe someone can check it out for me.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Konnie Lewis
from Kentucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk