Elk County Courthouse Burned October 24, 1906

Started by frawin, April 30, 2007, 07:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Attached is a picture of the Elk County Courthouse that burned October 24, 1906. I have always thought this was beautiful structure especially in it's time and place.

Janet Harrington

Thank you so much, Frank, for that picture.  That is one that I did not have.  I pray every night that my computer will not crash on me as I have all these pictures.  I know, I know.  I need to get them on disks.  I'll work on that. ;D

Flintauqua

I've always wondered if the Limestone walls of the basement of the current courthouse could be the same as the old courthouse.  In other words, could they have put the brick of the new one on the foundation of the old?

genealogynut

There was a newspaper story "Sparks From the Courthouse Fire"  in the Howard Courant dated November 2, 1906 and it was posted on August 30, 2006 on this board.

Marcia Moore

The limestone walls of the basement are not the same as those in the former courthouse.  The foundation for the current courthouse was a completely new one.  The wrecking crew took out everything before construction on the new courthouse was started. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk