Grocery Store in Howard Robbed

Started by W. Gray, December 23, 2017, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Hays Daily News, Hays, Kansas, January 28, 1976

In 1976, there does not appear to have been a quick stop grocery on the highway in Howard.

Tom & Sue's IGA was located at 130 North Wabash. I believe that was the only grocery store in town.

From 1975-1980, I lived in Mulvane and recall my Uncle telling me that someone broke into his barbershop overnight. His shop was in what is now the northernmost portion of the Family Market He had nothing in the shop that night but the perps worked in his backroom to break through a wall into the next building south, which might have been the Red Door gift shop at the time. I don't recall if he said they tried to get into Batson's drug store from the Red Door. And, I don't know if this is the same event or not.

At any rate, $907 in 1976 is equivalent to $3,800 in 2016 according to the Morgan Friedman inflation calendar.

Another report in an Iola newspaper says that at Severy, twelve women entered the grocery store during operating hours. Several distracted the clerk while others apparently opened the drawer and took the money.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk