cow owners

Started by readyaimduck, August 26, 2017, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

NOt my cow, and not my problem...
Back story: fence has a weak spot...cows get on neighbors.
Owner calls cow owners to please put back as their fence is weak (5 times that I know of) so....if a cow comes to her pasture (there is a weak fence, never been fixed as they don't care to fix it) on a regular basis to eat the brome, fescue, hay that the owner of said cow eats...and mows for hay....and is pregnant. The owner said I will send a guy to shoot it...The guy won't because it is pregnant...and knows where the hole in the fence is....can it be now her cow????If she fixes the fence and keeps the cow and baby...is it hers?
No contract for the hay that this cow is eating...only a handshake (that is what we do)
Farmers, please respond.

Bullwinkle

First, I am not a farmer, I am a rancher.

Any rancher worth a damn would be there to collect his animal in short order. If a neighbor has an animal in my pasture, I call them, determine which neighbor it belongs to, catch it in a pen if I can and they come load it up, or they send in a cowboy to rope it and get it in a trailer.

I can't believe they would send someone to just shoot it. Then what? They don't just disappear.

If they don't want to go to the effort to reclaim it, then it must be a bag of bones on its last legs.

I would call the sheriff and explain the situation. If the owner won't keep it home or come after it, I would say it is all yours.

It is a common occurence that cows and calves and bulls , stray. Everyone I know is glad to get them back home. We lose enough to coyotes, illness, weather and rustlers.

This sounds kinda fishy to me.

readyaimduck

I agree other then I think they don't care about their herd.
I agree that one cow/calf/bull is money.  I always tell the herd owner when their cows are out...it is what people do.

That being said, this forum has taught me that everyone on this forum, and those that are in elected areas are .....???  not thoughtful????

enough said..
ready .....to roundup some cattle owners on my own and ....

Wake-up!

It's not clear to me who owns the fence, the livestock owner? Or the property owner claiming trespass? It probably is important as to who has liability.

Here is a link to Kansas grazing laws. The fence ownership will probably bring certain sections of law into effect. A call to Sheriff Hanks is prudent.

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/ks_fnc.htm
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.

The greatest mistake in American history was letting government educate our children.
- Harry Browne, 1996/2000 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate

upoladeb

theres a notice at Minimart that someone out side Elk Falls is looking for a cow about to calve I wonder if it is the same one???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk