Howard Twilight Manor Nursing Home

Started by W. Gray, November 18, 2015, 10:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

From today's Prairie Star

The City of Howard owned the 44-bed Twilight Manor Nursing Home.

Last I heard, there were 29 residents.

It was built in 1966 from funds left by a wealthy Howard resident and operated on those funds.

The funds dried up and the city was providing its own funds to keep it operating but could not keep up.

The city sold the nursing home "business" to Americare for $100,000.

But the property will remain the property of the City of Howard.

The facility must be vacated within 60 days from November 10.

32 people will lose their job. Is there a bigger employer in Elk County?

According to Rudy's editorial, today, Americare hopes the residents will choose one of their facilities in Eureka, Sedan, or Independence.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, that is a big Loss for Howard and the surrounding area. A lot of Hardworking people will lose their Jobs. I remember when it First opened and Charlie and Rita were running it, both really hard workers and very caring for the Patients. In the early years it was pretty full, Myrnas Mother was there up until a year or two ago, and the care was great, but we noticed there were alot of empty Rooms. While Myrnas Mother was there we drove up from Bartlesville at least once a week, and sometimes more often. We had lots of other People we went in to see, Myrna's Grade School Teacher at Upper Paw Paw, Juanita Anderson, my Favorite Teacher, Margarett Gregg, Corky Durbin, my old Ckassmate at Howard for 12 years, Robert Miller, a lady that I admired very much, Betty Layton, Izola and Doug Moore, and many other friends. It is a sad time and another sign of deterioration of Howard and Rural America, it is really sad for me as I have always been proud of  Howard, I was Born there Grew up ther, graduated from School there, my Family was in Business there for nearly 35 or so years. I still have Family there, lots of Friends there.

W. Gray

I am wondering what the city will do with it. If they could not afford repair and code upgrades before they probably will still be in that boat.

$100,000 will not go very far.

Maybe they can do with it like what happened to the Moline nursing home. Sell it for $1 to someone that can show they can make a go of it, somehow, someway, for something.

Part of the agreement was that there cannot be another nursing home in Howard for ten years.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo it will make an Excellent Bed and Breakfast, Howard needs a Place for People to stay when they Visit. The Longton Motel always seems to be full. We are going to be in Howard Friday and Saturday and will probably have to Drive to Independence to find a place to stay. There are several good places to eat in Howard, it would still make a good Motel. Waldo we have seen so much about how good the Food is at Toots, we are really anxious to try it.

proelkco

the cripple creek lodge in Moline is nice

W. Gray

That would be Crooked Creek Lodge.

Chuckle, I have called it Cripple Creek, also. I have stayed there twice.

Diane Amberg

I agree! Crooked Creek is great...like staying with family.
I'm so sorry Twilight Manor has to go.Grandma Dessie lived there for her last years,  She liked it, her friends were there, and her care was great.The staff always let us know if she needed anything since we were so far away and couldn't visit very often.If nobody wants to try to revive it, a friendly little motel for Howard would be wonderful.

nykkylsdymes

Quote from: frawin on November 18, 2015, 06:21:29 PM
Waldo it will make an Excellent Bed and Breakfast, Howard needs a Place for People to stay when they Visit. The Longton Motel always seems to be full. We are going to be in Howard Friday and Saturday and will probably have to Drive to Independence to find a place to stay. There are several good places to eat in Howard, it would still make a good Motel. Waldo we have seen so much about how good the Food is at Toots, we are really anxious to try it.

In reading the minutes from the Howard City Council, someone from the public offered to purchased the building.  Not sure if that went through.

I did notice in the previous meeting that the offer was originally $200,000 but is now reported as $100,000.  I supposed the first offer was for buying the building as well but they later changed their mind and gave the building back to the city??  This I don't know for sure.
Integrity is doing what is right when no one else is watching.

W. Gray

This morning's paper showed a photo of the American Legion guys lowering the nursing home flag for the last time.

There was an outside fish pool next to the general assembly area that had quite a few large goldfish. Hope they find a home also, chuckle.

frawin

Waldo we really enjoy your Posts on the Forum. Your History Posts are absolutely the Best and the most interesting. Without you the Forum would hardly be worth looking at, keep them coming.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk