Unusual Given Names

Started by genealogynut, January 27, 2007, 08:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LShortt

This has nothing to do with family history, but I see an abundance of names on a daily basis due that I work within the criminal court system of the area where I live.  A couple of names recently that have caught my attention are...

Lancelot (the poor guy was born in the 70's too)

Willow (followed by the middle name of) Sativa.  This one is definetly a product of the 60's, not only because of the first name but the middle name IS definetly a 60's culture.  Do a google on the meaning of the word Sativa.  I was stunned.

dandymomma

I've got some weird ones in my family tree as well...

Armilda Jane
Fielding Louis
Alma Ruth

kdfrawg

Names have always been odd and they are getting odder. I have an ancestor named "Philander Parks Walker", which I have always liked. My current favorite modern name belongs to an Alabama football player from the 90s, "Car Radio Johnson." I am generally saddened that my father was an orphan and was turned out of one in the Dakotas after a name change to "Jones." They did that to all of their kids. If not for that, my name would be "Vanderheident."

;D

Ole Granny

A genealogy buddy and I decided to see who could find the strangest name while doing our research.  First day, I came across the name of "Finely Stretchberry".  My friend said I won!
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

kdfrawg

Finely Stretchberry is great! I imagine he (?) got a ribbing at recess!

;D

jpbill

To LisaT.  I think the Jno name you found on tombstones is an abreviation for Jonathan.  Others may have another idea.

Bill

Ole Granny

Hi, Bill,

I agree with you on Jonathan as Jno.

Ole Granny
Eskimo Legend

kdfrawg

I should have mentioned....

I have a friend here, a UP photographer, named Orlin, which you don't see every day. And I have a next-door neighbor whose father was Elmer and was disappointed not to have a boy to name Elmer II, so she wound up Elmerta.

;D

Ole Granny

Quote from: LisaT on February 06, 2007, 01:42:33 PM
All of these are first names listed at the cemetery in Moline and some ppl that are around here.
Mitzuke, Capsa, ,Burnel, Delavan, Metta, Arvilla, Texana, Paschal
Statera, Hugenda, Electa, Tenna, Densla, Ravilla, Loviett, Permelia,
Eleazor, Ova, Octa, Jno, Glemie, Orpha, Bestimonia, Oelphinia, Padney,
Rhodna, Olia, Dalia, Dacia, Ozella, Vida, Aurelio, Monnia, Huldah, Kerlantha,
Lavaughn, Marthella, Petra, Lavoria, Elfreda, Vollie, Solon,
If anyone knows how to say Jno or how it pronounced I'd like to know. There are 2 listed with the names and I haven't a clue how to pronounce it.

My grandmother's name was Huldah.  She did not care for it and went by Nettie.  Choices.  Guess it is somewhat better that Huldah.  Husband's mother was Orpha and that's what they called her.  These are the only Huldah and Orpha I have ever known.  Another grandmother was Etta Estellla.  Maybe our names will be strange in future times.
Eskimo Legend

flo

notice one of the "strange" names listed was Permelia.  My oldest daughter is Pamela but my grandmother always called her Permelia, so maybe that was a  popular name in her day.  I always just thought she was pronouncing it wrong but at age 90 you don't correct her on something that trivial.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk