Unusual Given Names

Started by genealogynut, January 27, 2007, 08:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

We can just overlook the Michael and stick with Frawgie.  Probably fits you better anyway.

kdfrawg

LOL! It depends on who you talk to, Wilma. My wife, for some reason, insists on calling me Michael, as does my family. I suppose it is a matter of habit, in most cases. But that is hardly true of everyone that I know. I have been in the computer business for a very long time. I was privileged to have an ARPANET email address at Stanford in 1979. In 1980, I joined Compuserve and discovered the "CB Simulator," the earliest ancestor of the chat room, although it was mainly used by computer nerds, at least at first. Then, and up to today, I have been known as Kermit D. Frawg, which I shortened a number of years ago to kdfrawg. So most of my friends were originally met on line, somehow or another, and still call me Kermit.

I guess I have the best of both worlds. Along the road, before and since my entrance to the world of computerized communications, I have been called both better and worse than either Michael or Kermit. You, of course, may call me what you want.

;D

Jody

My husbands sister had the name Aubine.   I always thought that was a  little weird.  Iwas not surprised that Joan was  5th in the year of my birth,as I always had a joan in my age group. I changed the spelling to Joanne
,when I    was 10 years old. That spelling  was on the list again, i AM SURPRISED my Mom didn't name me Shirley {She was so crazy  over Shirley Temple]

flo

on the CBS morning show they had a guest who talked about "cute" names for your children.  One very interesting fact was that when they grow up that name may not be so "cute".  When going out into the serious business world, Jonathan will be perceived as smarter than Shilo, whether he is our not.  So what's cute for a chubby pink baby may not work for a 30 something year old.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

emptynest

jensarlou

TA TA mentioned some unusual names of West students.  We cant forget Kactus and Kanyon.  What about all the celebraties that have named their children the most unusal names?  For instance, Apple.  I had a great great grandmother whose name was Louisiana Williams.  And as most of you know my oldest had a common name but they too can be made unusual be spelling them differently, Jennifer or as I spelled it Jenepher.  I always tell ppl. if Stephen or Stephanie could have a ph why couldn't Jenepher?  Let be phonetic.  hahaha :)

KandyKane

Since this seems to be a popular thread, I'll add some names I've come across.  For the male gender: Elvy, Delman, Lorval, Deamus, Durward, Edris, Nondus, Collis, Cuba, Ayres, Leral, Dorus, Bate, Loyal, Royal, Worth, Santford, Wiley, Denzel, Bennona, and Leveret.  For the girls: Zona, Ophelia, Dicey, Winter, Blossom, Isla, Ulas, Misha, Coral, Delena, Burletta, Carrietta, Vena, Zella, Ozella, and Elma,

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, I have one daughter whose names is a little original, Parker.  If I am calling the doctors or such, they always call her a boy.  It is  a boys name, but I chose to give it to my daughter.  I also have a little Harlee girl.  I could have spelled it Harley, but she my uncles middle name is Lee so I spelled it the way we did.  Then I have a very common named daughter, Rebecca.  Parker's middle name is also a little unsual or at least the spelling is, it is MacKenzie.  I really don't know why I named Parker, Parker MacKenzie.  I just did.  As for Rebecca Lynn, we had to (my husband and I) agree on a name, and that was the one that we came up with.  And as for Harlee Jo, well Jo is my brothers middle name, and Jeff's mom helped us come up with the Harlee.  I do like unusual names.  My mothers name was Cinda, yes there is supposed to be an A at the end.  My grandfather liked the name and came up with it.  But there are alot of very unusual older names, too.  I think my family has alot of them.  My grandpa Knight was Wyatt VanBuren, how different is that.  My fathers name was James Veryl, again very unusual.  That might be were I got the ususual GENE??!!! :laugh:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Tobina+1

Well, I finally stumbled upon this thread.  You probably wondered what was taking me so long!?!
My name is Tobina (toe-bee-nah).  I have had many, many different nicknames, but I have never introduced myself as anything other than Tobina.  Toby is the most popular, Tob (long O), Toe (my dad's nickname for me), and Bina.  My parents combined the 2 names Tobin and Bina together.  My maiden name is Schmidt, so they wanted unusual names for their kids to go with such a common last name.  And, no shortened names, either.  They both hated having to sign their long names on all legal papers, but be called by their short name all the time.  Tobina, Mandi, Barry, Tanner.  All unusual in their time.  I have enjoyed having a very uncommon name.  I plan to name my kids with uncommon names (if I can convince hubby of that), and/or names from our families that were a little uncommon/old fashioned.
I've worked with Tiona (tye-own-nah), Tahma (tah-ma), and Orana (ore-anna).  There were kids in a neighboring town called Oat, Rye, and Wheat.  I knew a guy in college named Howdy Snoddy.  I don't think Howdy was his given name, but that's what he called himself and how he did everything in school.  Why would-ya?

flo

How about the PRCA champion bull-dogger that name his three sons Rope, Tie and Cash.  Don't remember his first name, but his last name was Meyers and they lived between Colony and Garnett.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk